News:

PD.com: promoting the nomadic, war-like and democratic lupine culture since 2002

Main Menu

Greece's most famous rapper is killed by a member of the Golden Dawn

Started by Pope Pixie Pickle, September 18, 2013, 11:09:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pope Pixie Pickle

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/sep/18/greece-murder-golden-dawn

Protests have popped up all over Greece and seem to be spreading amongst antifascist networks to the rest of Europe. I know some folks that are planning one near me even.  Apparently the Golden Dawn HQ was attacked and it's getting a bit rioty and it may cause more strikes.

http://libcom.org/news/greece-antifascist-rapper-stabbed-death-25-neonazis-18092013THis seems to be more detailed about the actual assault, and somehow, with GD's links with Greek police.

it's also been 2 months since this happened:- http://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/i-went-to-the-memorial-gatherings-for-the-murdered-french-anti-fascist

Nephew Twiddleton

Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Twigel on September 19, 2013, 01:12:32 AM
What do you think will come out of the protests?

If it at least causes people to sneer at fascists, it's a win.

These fuckers fold right up if the mob turns against them.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on September 19, 2013, 02:30:09 AM

So this may well hold them back a little more.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Bu🤠ns

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on September 19, 2013, 02:30:09 AM

Well we DO learn from history, right?

Cain

Junkenstein

Caught this late last night. For me, the most shocking thing was the descriptions of what the police did to intervene. Mainly nothing. There's already established ties between Golden Dawn and the police but that just seems to imply a level of support that should be quite worrying. Particularly for any upcoming protests.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Pope Pixie Pickle

I'm wondering if this show of people on the streets will be enough to scare the legal system into not fucking up the case against the assailant. there would be serious rioting.

Cain, do you think if GD lose their seats in the next round of elections that they might be banned? Obviously doing it whilst they have 18 MP's is a bad idea, and counter to a democratic system, keeping the peace and as much as I have a distaste for the far right it'd only feed their persecution complexes.

Generally i'm a little concerned that this is the second of such high profile deaths of antifascists in Europe in a short space of time, but the amount of people hitting the streets after these deaths seems to be very large, so there are definitely people Not Buying It when it comes to the far-right shit.

Pope Pixie Pickle

Quote from: Junkenstein on September 19, 2013, 08:14:22 AM
Caught this late last night. For me, the most shocking thing was the descriptions of what the police did to intervene. Mainly nothing. There's already established ties between Golden Dawn and the police but that just seems to imply a level of support that should be quite worrying. Particularly for any upcoming protests.

Yea, fash in uniform (and not just the fancy blackshirts they pick out for themselves) is really fucking alarming. Fucking up the case, as I said earlier, might be a recipe for disaster though considering the protests. Proscribing GD is a bad idea, I don't know how entrenched they are in the police for this one cop to get any sort of punitive measure. Coppers tend to close ranks on this shit anyway even without neo-nazis in the mix.  I am not optimistic on that front.

I'll find some pics later (there were quite a few on my Tumblr feed yesterday) of the antifascist protests.

The Good Reverend Roger

Split per Pixie's request.

The new thread is here:

http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php/topic,35453.0.html

If I missed any relevant posts, please link me and I'll move it over here.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Pope Pixie Pickle

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-24314319

I am somewhat surprised. The Golden Dawn leader has been arrested.

Senior cops are resigning, there is an investigation into GD going on.

Junkenstein

I would have lost money on this happening. Very interesting. I wonder how much is show and how much is actual action? I hope the procedure is 100% legal because the worst thing you can do to pricks like this is not abide by the letter of the law. Any excuse for a Nazi to scream about being oppressed can and will be taken.

It's also going to be well worth watching the charges that drop out of all this. There's been suggestions of GD involvement in all manner of nasty shit so conspiracy to X charges could be the angle to watch.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Junkenstein

Good background article:

http://www.timeslive.co.za/world/2013/09/28/blood-and-honour-the-family-behind-greece-s-neo-nazi-party

QuoteFormerly on the fringe of Greek politics, Golden Dawn went from 19,000 votes a few years ago to over 426,000 in June 2012 after pledging to "scour the country" clean of illegal immigrants.

Michaloliakos later said the party's voters were "the equivalent of 30-40 army divisions."

As an indication of size, I'd guess this to be plausible given the share of power in government. Also gives an idea of just how many people are probably not happy at all right now.

QuoteMichaloliakos has called illegal immigration a "wound" for Greece while his wife Zaroulia described immigrants as "sub-humans" in a speech to parliament, saying they had "invaded" the country bringing "all sorts of diseases".

To the dismay of anti-racist activists and Jewish groups, Zaroulia was appointed in October to the committee on equality and non-discrimination of the Council of Europe's parliamentary assembly.

Charming.

QuoteEthnos daily last year said Michaloliakos and Zaroulia had owned a sex hotel in central Athens until the eve of national elections.

Quizzed on the issue, Michaloliakos later admitted that his wife owned 15 percent of the hotel, but he insisted: "I don't know what kind of hotel it is. We have nothing to do with its operation."

And blatant bullshit. With political will to do something about this, I bet the dodgy shit isn't well hidden. Losing police support probably won't help in this regard either.

Cain

Cain