News:

Attempting to do something

Main Menu

Depression

Started by Lenin McCarthy, November 26, 2012, 01:42:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dildo Argentino

Quote from: FROTISTED FUDGE CAK on December 01, 2012, 06:38:35 AM
No, most of the people who complete psychology undergrad degrees go on to work in retail, call centers, or to do entry-level office-betty work, just  like people who complete history, literature, or art undergrad degrees. I was talking about people who go on to get degrees you can do something with.

Hang on, so you're saying that working in retail, call centres, entry-level office work is not actually doing something?

I must be reading you wrong.

But okay, let's limit the discussion to people who go ahead and do something with their lives to which the stuff they learnt during their degree course in psychology is relevant in some way... you could be right. But I'm not sure. Couldn't many of those people with undergrad psych diplomas do some additional professional qualification and retrain, in the direction of talking therapies, for instance, or clinical psychology, or other forms of therapy, or education, even, or special needs education? I just took a squinty-eyed look at what I expected to be the relevant numbers, and it seemed unlikely that most people who study psychology as undergraduates would become researchers or academics... but with the above added clause, it seems feasible. Plus I admit it was an unnecessarily nit-picky remark on my behalf, for which I apologize.
Not too keen on rigor, myself - reminds me of mortis

Lenin McCarthy

God fuck how I hate myself for not telling my parents about my depression before after 7 months, just before exams. So now I'm taking a pause from my political work (man, my political friends'll hate me for that. But depression and idealistic international politics doesn't mix. Having to worry not only about yourself and your relationships to those who are closest to you, but also feeling responsible for every fucking little thing that happens in the world, added to the feeling that The Cause isn't really that inspiring or capital T Truth to you any more.), and I'll just try to deal with the last months of school and do something with my ever increasing pile of unfinished homework. Get some sleeping pills and a therapist. Nurture my friendships with my classmates in the last hectic months of simultaneous studying and partying. Hopefully I'll get rid of the endless, incoherent trains of thought spinning around in my mind like a bad postmodernist novel.

100 people did elect me to that position in the Young Liberals, though, and I willingly accepted it and promised to take on big responsibilities and when depression struck I tried to cope but I just neglected my tasks, deepening my depression and evasiveness. It feels bad to just let them down this way. But I think maybe this is the time to say that I've been neglecting myself and I need some time to recover.

Cain

Quotedepression and idealistic international politics doesn't mix

In my opinion, depression and any kind of international politics don't mix.

I'm generally a positive person, with a sunny disposition, and look at the effect it has on me.

Lenin McCarthy

Quote from: Cain on April 04, 2013, 10:38:20 PM
Quotedepression and idealistic international politics doesn't mix

In my opinion, depression and any kind of international politics don't mix.

I'm generally a positive person, with a sunny disposition, and look at the effect it has on me.

Yeah, I think it's a good idea if I take a break until I can get other things out of the stuff I read than just justification for deepening my misanthropy.