News:

Just 'cause this is a Discordian board doesn't mean we eat up dada bullshit

Main Menu

The TGRR Rules, Adages, and Redman-esque Advice for Humans.

Started by Doktor Howl, July 27, 2011, 07:11:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Johnny

Quote from: Doktor Howl on July 27, 2011, 08:02:41 PM
21.  You should never act on incomplete information unless you happen to be on fire.

Dont we always have incomplete information?

Or if we dont, when is it complete? (i wouldnt think its a nihilistic posture arguing for never doing anything?)
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

President Television

Quote from: Joh'Nyx on July 28, 2011, 05:31:55 AM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on July 27, 2011, 08:02:41 PM
21.  You should never act on incomplete information unless you happen to be on fire.

Dont we always have incomplete information?

Or if we dont, when is it complete? (i wouldnt think its a nihilistic posture arguing for never doing anything?)

I could be wrong, but I think he means "don't act when you don't know everything you need to know about the situation."
My shit list: Stephen Harper, anarchists that complain about taxes instead of institutionalized torture, those people walking, anyone who lets a single aspect of themselves define their entire personality, salesmen that don't smoke pipes, Fredericton New Brunswick, bigots, philosophy majors, my nemesis, pirates that don't do anything, criminals without class, sociopaths, narcissists, furries, juggalos, foes.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

I normally agree with #11, but I can think of an exception.  Namely, my boss, who approaches life with a form of naive empiricism which means, unless he directly sees something occuring, it didn't happen.  Regardless of the mountain of paperwork and signed statements from 20 different members of staff attesting to what is going on.

I fucking hate him.

Doktor Howl

41.  Weird pulls in more weird.

42.  If you've been married 9 times, maybe it's you.

43.  A day without 3D movies is like a day without root canal work.

44.  When someone says, "It's not the money", it's the money.

45.  It's entirely possible that you aren't the main character.  However, you should act as if you are, just in case.  If you're wearing a red shirt, though, just lie down and wait for the end.

46.  Order of death in horror movies:  The Black dude, the tramp, any Hispanics that are around, the partiers, the cop, everyone else.  The prude gets to live.  Like all things Hollywood, slasher flicks are morality plays.

47.  If at first you don't succeed, cover up all evidence that you ever tried, and blame the president.

48.  Beauty is only skin deep, but ugly goes right to the bone.

49.  My reality tunnel is different than yours.

50.  Don't fry bacon without a shirt on.

51.  Cosmopolitan Magazine is not found in the possession of happy women.

52.  Never share a foxhole with anyone braver than yourself.

53.  You can't fix stupid.

54.  If the cops and paramedics are throwing up, don't look.

55.  If you don't feel right, go to the fucking doctor.  Whatever horrible thing you think it might be isn't going to get better on its own, and it will probably get worse.

56.  If you MUST trust or believe in a politician, at least make sure you're using protection.

57.  The universe doesn't actually care if you don't look at things objectively.  The results will not reflect your opinions.

58.  Alfred Pennyworth was right.

59.  Never play pool with someone who is nicknamed after a city.

60.  You probably worry too much.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Disco Pickle

these are great.

I couldn't find one big enough so lost a lot of quality on the resize.

I'll redo it if someone has a bigger head.
"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

Roly Poly Oly-Garch

Quote from: Jenne on July 28, 2011, 01:46:07 AM
@Trip: there's a sentiment amongst the "holy" Jebus-followers that "God will provide." this is a certain lackadaisicality that breeds enormously to little good effect here in US and A

Before there was a full-blown climate change denier faction, Mr. Rush actually cited that as his opposition to climate change legislation. Mega-dittos, sir, Mega-dittos.
Back to the fecal matter in the pool

Roly Poly Oly-Garch

I will not live under the tyrannical claw of #43. Except #18 is worth 7 #43's, so I guess the list still nets +6. 
Back to the fecal matter in the pool

President Television

Quote from: NoLeDeMiel on November 13, 2011, 07:08:49 AM
I will not live under the tyrannical claw of #43. Except #18 is worth 7 #43's, so I guess the list still nets +6.  

I can think of exactly one exception to #43. The Lion King 3D. Shit was awesome, visually. Layers and layers of beautifully-drawn wildlife on the savannah.
That being said, the majority of 3D movies are atrocious, and I generally don't go to movies for the visuals alone, so...
My shit list: Stephen Harper, anarchists that complain about taxes instead of institutionalized torture, those people walking, anyone who lets a single aspect of themselves define their entire personality, salesmen that don't smoke pipes, Fredericton New Brunswick, bigots, philosophy majors, my nemesis, pirates that don't do anything, criminals without class, sociopaths, narcissists, furries, juggalos, foes.

The Good Reverend Roger

61.  "Team building exercises" are designed to make people that hate each other spend more time together.

62.  If someone's a complete asshole, there's no need to find out why.

63.  Your dog is a better person than you are.

64.  A psychophysiologist  by the name of Thomas Mulholland proved in 2006 that after only 30 seconds of watching TV, your brain produces more alpha waves, which indicate that you are in a heightened state of reception.  This may explain why some people still believe the news.

65.  If you are truly determined, nothing can stop you.  Except the laws of physics and irresponsible levels of police violence.

66.  The trick to writing is knowing when to stop.  There was only one story for The Blues Brothers, for example.  Some people should stop before they start.

67.  If you have to rationalize your actions, you are being a bad person.

68.  The lesser of two evils is still evil.

69.  Never draw on an inside straight.

70.  Getting mad can change the behavior of people, but not the behavior of equipment.

71.  Getting mad cannot, however, change peoples' capabilities.

72.  Being polite doesn't cost you a thing, under any circumstances.

73.  Never trust a smiling Englishman.

74.  Make an American mad, he'll slap sanctions on you.  Scare an American, and he'll try to kill you.

75.  The only difference between modern America and Ancient Rome is that America sits between two oceans.

76.  No matter how offended you are, Pi is still not 3 (I'm talking to you, Indiana).

77.  Homeschooling a child to avoid bullying is like taking a soldier out of basic training to avoid having him get yelled at.  Sure, he's happy NOW, but sooner or later, he's gonna get proper fucked.

78.  Get a population used to perpetual war, and you have a nation of slaves. 

79.  Stop being a pussy, and they'll stop fucking you.

80.  Three things that should be illegal:  a) golfing  b) Seatte c) The making of lists.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Triple Zero

:mittens:

except I have no idea what this one means:

> 69.  Never draw on an inside straight.

could be either an engineering term, a poker term, or advice on how to make your clothes last longer in the washer?
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Triple Zero on November 14, 2011, 04:46:46 PM
:mittens:

except I have no idea what this one means:

> 69.  Never draw on an inside straight.

could be either an engineering term, a poker term, or advice on how to make your clothes last longer in the washer?

It's a poker term.  If you have a 5,6,8, and 9, do not stay in looking to draw a 7, unless you are in the mood to give your money to someone like me.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Triple Zero

I see. Myself I usually go with: Don't play poker for real (amounts of) money until you spend some time learning about the probabilities involved. Which should cover that.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Triple Zero on November 14, 2011, 04:57:33 PM
I see. Myself I usually go with: Don't play poker for real (amounts of) money until you spend some time learning about the probabilities involved. Which should cover that.

If you can't count cards, don't play.

And playing poker for free is every bit as immoral as playing chess for money.