News:

The characteristic feature of the loser is to bemoan, in general terms, mankind's flaws, biases, contradictions and irrationality-without exploiting them for fun and profit

Main Menu

Turtles all the way down

Started by Ishkur, April 13, 2012, 07:05:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

navkat

Don Coyote

I'm not really sure what to make of this. Although I am sad that I did not get to go 'Dischord? Are you a musician or something?"

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Guru Coyote on April 14, 2012, 03:47:51 AM
I'm not really sure what to make of this. Although I am sad that I did not get to go 'Dischord? Are you a musician or something?"

That's the second guy this month to come in spelling it that way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wC8y0HoopVE
Molon Lube

CorbeauEtRenard

I admit I spelled it that way deliberately in a screen name when I was young and dumb and full of obsession with music.

That was before I found this place though. Maybe I should see if the admin on that board can change it next time I talk to him...
Art is Dead! (If You Want It)

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Logic is a useful tool, but it isn't The Answer.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

minuspace

Quote from: Nigel on April 14, 2012, 07:59:00 AM
Thinking isn't the answer if logic is a useful tool?

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LuciferX on April 14, 2012, 10:23:29 AM

Not anymore than a wrench is the solution to a loose nut.

The tool isn't the fix.

It's especially not the fix if it turns out you needed a screwdriver.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

AFK

Quote from: LuciferX on April 14, 2012, 10:23:29 AM

Well, it always has that potential.  But, by that same token, sometimes Answers come about as happy accidents.  And also sometimes logic can end up obscuring a Path to an Answer if we get too bogged down in the logic.

Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

rong

please to provide more examples of Path to an Answer that are not logic?
"a real smart feller, he felt smart"

Kai

Quote from: rong on April 14, 2012, 07:22:00 PM

If someone you cared about came up to you crying, would you sit there and reason about what it was that caused the crying, or would you /give them a hug and listen/?

Logic sucks when it comes to emotional content. The Spock is a common trope, nearly a cliche, because such a person fails to actually solve immediate social problems.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

He seems to be going in his own direction with it, but my point was simply that the tool is not the fix.

Logic can help you get to the fix, but logic can fail, coincidence may prevail, accident may prevail, emotion may prevail, and in any case, the tool is STILL not the fix.

Also, what Kai said.

Logic is useful for puzzle-solving.

hirley0

Probably True11:15

Quote from: ZL 'Kai' Burington, M.S. on April 14, 2012, 07:40:47 PM
Quote from: rong on April 14, 2012, 07:22:00 PM

If someone you cared about came up to you crying, would you sit there and reason about what it was that caused the crying, or would you /give them a hug and listen/?

Logic sucks when it comes to emotional content. The Spock is a common trope, nearly a cliche, because such a person fails to actually solve immediate social problems.

navkat

We're getting more and more to a point in society where nobody cares and unless you can give a logical reason why they should, there's no point in them showing you any mercy or kindness.

Anna Mae Bollocks

There's logic in giving a shit about people, whether anybody sees it or not. We're pack animals, we need the others. It's just that society tends to push the idea that we all need to be self-sufficient, look out for number one, fuck the others, the poor LIKE living like that, etc. etc. ad nauseum.

You hear things like "according to logic, bumblebees can't fly" (but they finally found the logic of how that's done) and "If the world ran on logic, all the men would ride sidesaddle" (any guy who gets on a horse can figure out how to sit so his nuts don't get pulverized).

A lot of Buddhism is logical as fuck and it still emphasizes compassion.

I just don't think all logic is necessarily cold. Even Spock knew not to treat people like crap.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division