News:

You know what I always say? "Always kill the mouthy one", that's what I always say.

Main Menu

Scholar still.

Started by Kai, October 10, 2011, 06:52:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kai

"It ain't all about the dollar bill, you could be dead broke and be a scholar still."

Someone produced this line here on PD recently. In this current funk I've been in, no job, living with my parents, no paying opportunities in my field, very little progress on my research, continued difficulty finding a job, etc.,

this has all of a sudden become really poignant. I looked it up, found out it's in a hip hop rhyme by MF Doom. And in context it doesn't make much sense to me. Out of context it sounds like a godsend.

Now, seriously, what the fuck have I been doing for the last several weeks? Sure, I've gotten out and enjoyed this beautiful weather, I've worked through the reviewer comments for two of the papers I have in review (one of which I just got a message about, which suggests to me it may be in publication very soon), I've cleaned up and organized. All of these things are beneficial and worth it in of themselves. And I still wake up depressed every morning because come December I have 10s of thousands of dollars in loans to start paying off and I haven't received a paycheck since April. For the past 3 years I've been living on my own means, and now I'm essentially freeloading and it's stressing me the hell out. Sure, I've worked at the above things and that's good, but I've otherwise done fuck all since I've gotten back to Wisconsin. My excuse has been that I need a stereo microscope and a supply of 80% EtOH to get things done, but what kind of fucking excuse is that? I've been worried about money up the wazoo, but the loan payments are small and still months off, and I have a 10 thousand dollar nest egg if I'm not employed by that point. So why am I so bent out of shape?

MF Doom has it right. There's no reason to be bent out of shape other than unrealistic expectations that I'm putting on myself. It's not about my parents, they asked me to come back here after I got done with the Field Museum. If they ever have a real problem I'll just leave. It's not about not having a microscope either, or a wet lab, or any number of special things.

This is all about the mentality of not allowing myself to enjoy the hell out of being interested. All my subscriptions (free, no less) to e-tables of contents have lapsed. I didn't even read them anymore, hell, I haven't read much of anything recently. What happened to re learning math, to the caddisfly bibliography, to actually going out and doing field surveys just to do it? And there's this idea that I've got to please someone about my race to find a paycheck, that if I'm not looking for work and sitting by the phones every second some opportunity is going to pass me by.

Well, it's NOT. The job market is as shit as it's going to get for me, as in, no jobs available. It will either stay this way, or opportunities will increase. Doom said, you can be dead broke and be a scholar still, but I'm not even broke. There's no fucking problem except releasing myself of expectations. So lets get down to some research and learning.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

LMNO

Kai is riding the correct priority-focusing motorcycle.

Luna

Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Jenne

:mittens:  Right on.  Wish more people would take their disappointment in themselves in hand like this!

Pæs

Telarus

Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Kurt Christ

I love these moments of clarity, when you realize that your stress is self-inflicted and you can just fucking stop.
Best wishes with regard to your papers and job hunt, but above all remember not to beat yourself up too much.
Formerly known as the Space Pope (then I was excommunicated), Father Kurt Christ (I was deemed unfit to raise children, spiritual or otherwise), and Vartox (the speedo was starting to chafe)

Reginald Ret

Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Suu

Never stop learning.

NEVER.

And you don't even need to sit in a classroom to do it.

However, I was excited for a second, thinking that you were definitely taking the plunge into going for your Ph.D. (Seriously, Doctor, not just Doktor Kai, sounds awesome!) and I know that you and I have talked about our futures in academia, and how you weren't feelin' the doctorate just yet. But it's all good,why?

Because you're a goddamn industry professional, that's why, and you always will be. Fuck another diploma for now. You got this shit.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Richter

:mittens:  Inspiring.
I need to remind myself of this when I get down on the job, life, etc.
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Cramulus

:mittens:

glad to hear it helped, Kai. That MF Doom line has gotten me through some hard times.