News:

That's okay, I know how to turn my washing machine into a centrifuge if need be.

Main Menu

So I was born in 1971

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, December 27, 2013, 07:32:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Thanks Junkenstein! I'm looking forward to what you come up with re: TV then and now.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Aye Aye Aye Aye Aye Aye Pu ERT Oh Ricoh

Great post, Nigel's Red Whaddada Doobadoo Dee Dadaddumm Whoohoooo That's So Funnn! I'd love to hear more about that era and how things went through -- it might just be me, but I find that stories I hear IRL, or read on social networks, or fora, or even IRC are "more real" than the ones I read printed on paper or on major websites/news sources. Social limitations and racism are topics appearing in conversation and writing more and more in Greece these days, and fairly so, so this might be another reason it appealed to me immediately.

Travelling through England some time ago, I found myself hosted by a Brittish man in his late 60s, whom I've met as a client in some hotel in Greece when I used to be a receptionist/bartender. After the anticipated on my part awkwardness of having to roll and smoke joints "hidden" in his spare bedroom, and trying to make sense of his daughter and son in law when drunk (both me and them; more fun than I'd admit at that point in time), we've spent a couple of nights eating BLTs, drinking ginger beer and discussing his youth: how he messed with Irish workers' heads and they digged holes and buried him whole-but-the-head in them, about poverty and not having a proper meal and borrowing liquor and cigarettes off oneanother, and generally what living and working as a "poor bastard" meant these days. I maybe laughed more than I should have, and I blame the joints, but then again he seemed to be enjoying just "talking about stuff" with me, remembering how things went, good or bad. I've kept notes -- this post reminded me that writing about that story could be both a fun and worthwhile project for me.

Cheers,
-S
δεν ξέρω τι υποτίθεται πως, αλλά ούτε και τι

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Thanks Aye Aye! I would certainly be interested in reading more about that story, if you get to it.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."