News:

No, we're not mercenaries. We just carry weapons and kill things for the joy of the experience.

Main Menu

AHAHAHA! My school got fuxx0red

Started by Cainad (dec.), April 07, 2010, 03:45:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cainad (dec.)

http://www.27east.com/story_detail.cfm?id=269571&town=Southampton&n=STONY%20BROOK%20UNIVERSITY%20WILL%20ANNOUNCE%20DRASTIC%20CUTS%20TO%20STONY%20BROOK%20SOUTHAMPTON

:lulz: :lulz:

STONY BROOK UNIVERSITY WILL ANNOUNCE DRASTIC CUTS TO STONY BROOK SOUTHAMPTON
QuoteStony Brook University officials are proposing to slash spending on Stony Brook Southampton, effectively reducing operations at the 81-acre Shinnecock Hills campus to two buildings and pulling the plug on most of the programs offered there, in order to save money, according to local politicians.

The proposal comes just four years after Stony Brook University purchased the campus for $35 million from Long Island University, and invested tens of millions of dollars in an effort to transform it into a center for sustainability and environmental studies.

In a closed meeting at the Stony Brook University's main campus on Tuesday afternoon, Stony Brook University President Samuel L. Stanley Jr. discussed the proposal with New York State Assemblyman Fred W. Thiele Jr., State Senator Kenneth P. LaValle and U.S. Representative Tim Bishop, according to Mr. Thiele and Mr. LaValle.

Mr. Thiele, who along with Mr. LaValle was instrumental in convincing the state to provide the money to acquire the college, described Stony Brook University's expected announcement as a "breach of faith." In the same press release issued Tuesday evening, Mr. Thiele said Stony Book University officials "are taking the substantial goodwill created by Stony Brook on the East End in the last five years and flushing it down the toilet."

As per the proposal, the Shinnecock Hills campus will remain open, but will no longer house students starting this fall, and the academic programs offered there would be reduced to marine sciences and a graduate degree in writing, according to Mr. Thiele. The campus currently offers nine undergraduate majors, along with the graduate degree in writing.

The 500 students who currently attend the satellite campus, which is operated as a quasi-seperate entity from the main campus, would probably be absorbed into the main campus, according to Mr. Thiele.

Mr, Thiele also said that most of the facilities at the campus, including the library, student center and dormitories, would be shuttered under the current plan.

Immediately after the meeting, Mr. Thiele said he expected Stony Brook University officials to announce that their decision is final within the next 24 to 48 hours.

"I was left with no indication that they intended to consider other alternatives," Mr. Thiele said.

Representatives from Stony Brook University, as well as Mary Pearl, the dean and administrative vice president of Stony Brook Southampton, could not immediately be reached for comment Tuesday evening.

Stony Brook University underwent a change of leadership this summer, when Dr. Stanley, formerly the vice chancellor for research and a professor of molecular microbiology at Washington University in St. Louis, took the reins from Shirley Strum Kenny, who retired after 15 years of service. Stony Brook Southampton was purchased under Dr. Kenny's leadership.

In the last 18 months, New York State has handed down more than $500 million in cuts to the State University of New York System, $33 million of which have been passed on to Stony Brook University, according to Mr. LaValle, who also spoke out against the proposal to make drastic cuts at Stony Brook Southampton.

Mr. Thiele said that Stony Brook University estimates it will save $6 million per year by cutting back programs offered at Stony Brook Southampton.

Five years ago, Long Island University, the original owners of the campus, were proposing to close the college and sell the land to developers. An outcry from the community, and the help of local politicians, thwarted that sale and set the stage for Stony Brook's acquisition of the campus.

Lies

- So the New World Order does not actually exist?
- Oh it exists, and how!
Ask the slaves whose labour built the White House;
Ask the slaves of today tied down to sweatshops and brothels to escape hunger;
Ask most women, second class citizens, in a pervasive rape culture;
Ask the non-human creatures who inhabit the planet:
whales, bears, frogs, tuna, bees, slaughtered farm animals;
Ask the natives of the Americas and Australia on whose land
you live today, on whose graves your factories, farms and neighbourhoods stand;
ask any of them this, ask them if the New World Order is true;
they'll tell you plainly: the New World Order... is you!

NotPublished

Could be the kind of laughter where your like "HAHAHA...oh fuck..."
In Soviet Russia, sins died for Jesus.

the last yatto

Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

Cramulus

is your campus really called Shiny Cock?  :lulz:

Cain

You're ahead of a national trend here, Cainad.  You should enjoy this, being all hip and stuff.

Also, lol, 9 courses.  Most golf clubs are bigger than that.

Thurnez Isa

yay soon you may have no choice but to join me in Thunder Bay....

my school is actually expanding  :)

despite that our president still wont allow us to have wireless cause it causes heads to explode, or something like that, or have fluorite in the water, for, I don't know whatever reason
Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Lysergic on April 07, 2010, 05:11:25 AM
And you're happy about this why?

The laughter was out of shock. Basically, what NotPubli said:

Quote from: NotPubli on April 07, 2010, 07:45:39 AM
Could be the kind of laughter where your like "HAHAHA...oh fuck..."

Quote from: Cramulus on April 07, 2010, 02:37:11 PM
is your campus really called Shiny Cock?  :lulz:

No one ever refers to it as the Shinnecock Campus. Shinnecock Reservation are the guys who sell the people here their cigarettes.

We had our information session with Stony Brook's administration about this today. They were going to tell us about it tomorrow, but because of the news leak I posted in the OP they had to do it today.

Basically, the entire residential aspect of this campus will be completely gone, along with many of the courses, come the Fall semester. This place will be essentially nothing more than a glorified marine science lab facility. There is a LOT of anger and stress, especially among students who are going to have a bitch of a time pursuing their major at the Main campus. Many 3rd year students are now completely clueless as to how the fuck they're going to graduate on time.

People all over the place are crying... I may be a bitter, jaded, and cynical fuck when it comes to this environmental sustainability stuff, but for a lot of the students here this is really truly what they wanted to do with their lives. A lot of the faculty invested a huge amount of work into making this a respectable school, and now many of them are out of a job. I couldn't look at my old Spanish professor or the Dean (she found out at the same time we did); their expressions alone brought me to tears. Many of these students don't have a real backup plan, and everything is still very raw. The whole thing hurts.

I thought I was upset when I finally came to terms with the fact that I needed to transfer to Main campus and switch majors, a week and a half ago. I never anticipated how bad it would feel to suddenly discover that my friends wouldn't necessarily even be in one place anymore for me to visit. I've moved a lot and left a lot of friends behind, but this is the first time I've ever seen the place I left implode behind me. I saw so much spirit and pride this morning, before everyone realized how final it really was. The decision had already been made and the info session was basically there to tell us how fucked we were, but for a few hours the students, faculty, and staff were all together in a way I've never seen before, anywhere. I've been frustrated with this school, angry at it, decided to leave it, but all the students lining up on the path to the lecture hall, staring silently at the university president and quietly following him in was pretty fucking touching. He didn't look at anyone, he walked like he couldn't see us.

The bitterness is so thick in the air you can taste it. The dormitories feel like motel rooms now, not like a familiar bedroom. There's talk of riots, riots that I do not expect to happen, but I will not be all that surprised if a rock goes through a window or something similar.

NotPublished

In Soviet Russia, sins died for Jesus.

Richter

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

LMNO

If it's any consolation, they've made huge improvements to the main campus.

Darth Cupcake

Wow. That seriously sucks. :cry:

I'm sorry, dude.
Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

Cramulus

Shit dude, it sounds like the End Times over there

you need to capitalize on that energy
& throw the biggest and best party that school has ever seen
            or will ever see again

Cain

Richter

This still falls under Cram's criteria
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat