News:

Everyone who calls themselves "wolf-something" or "something-wolf" almost inevitably turns out to be an irredeemable shitneck.

Main Menu

HAW HAW HAW HAW!

Started by Doktor Howl, August 22, 2010, 07:42:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

Uh, it's Peleus you should be pissed off at.  000 just noticed the pattern, is all -- and Trip didn't put any negative qualifiers on it, either.

BadBeast

Quote from: Exit City Hustle on August 23, 2010, 01:22:44 AM
Quote from: BabylonHoruv on August 23, 2010, 01:15:08 AM
Assuming they come up with something along these lines, were are convicted shoplifters supposed to shop?  Currently they only get banned from the stores they shoplifted from.  Default removal of right to engage in commerce seems awfully stiff punishment for a misdemeanor.

as I read it, they aren't bared from entering a store because of a shoplifting conviction at another store, just flagged for intense scrutiny.
In UK, when a shoplifter is banned from stores after being caught, it doesn't actually mean they are not allowed to enter the premises, or take the Company up on their offer to trade, because that would be an infringement of statutary rights. (In that a convicted shoplifter is still a member of the public, and as such, under contract law, invited to trade on shop premises)
What it does mean, is that the shoplifter enters the premises as a trespasser. They can still buy stuff, and their statutary rights are upheld, but if they are caught shoplifting again, it becomes Robbery, (as opposed to simple theft) because they entered the premises as a trespasser.
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,
NOT JUST A "FAIR WEATHER FIGHTER"!

"I kinda like him. It's like he sees inside my soul" ~ Nigel

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpkCJDYxH-4

Adios

Quote from: Doktor Alphapance on August 23, 2010, 02:37:10 PM
Uh, it's Peleus you should be pissed off at.  000 just noticed the pattern, is all -- and Trip didn't put any negative qualifiers on it, either.

I also took into consideration the way he jumped my ass, (or it felt that way) in his last post in this thread.

I need a break until my head is straight.

BadBeast

Couldn't  RFID tags could be disabled using a simple burst of EM, or Microwaves, as soon as you get the product home? This would effectivey ensure the Technology is disabled for any nefarious Big Brother surviellence.
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"

LMNO

Exactly how simple is it to generate an EM or microwaves, especially while mobile?

BadBeast

Quote from: Doktor Alphapance on August 23, 2010, 03:56:16 PM
Exactly how simple is it to generate an EM or microwaves, especially while mobile?
Not sure, but the Police were testing Com equipment that used pulsed microwaves a few years back on their walkie talkies.

edit: I think they dropped it, when Officers involved developed subdermal abscesses near their ears, but the tech certainly still exists.

LMNO

Google seems to have quite a few topics on the subject, but all are blocked for me by websense.

Triple Zero

Quote from: Charley Brown on August 23, 2010, 02:56:37 PM
Uh, it's Peleus you should be pissed off at.  000 just noticed the pattern, is all -- and Trip didn't put any negative qualifiers on it, either.

I also took into consideration the way he jumped my ass, (or it felt that way) in his last post in this thread.

Well I mostly jumped on the article for making up so called "movie plot threats", which, as I said, are not very good for improving the credibility of the actual threats. The writing out huge numbers in text and speaking "canvassing of alleys" with scanners is just sensation journalism.
I might have sounded a bit miffed because it was the third time already you mentioned ITT people should check out RFID, and a line, direct at me, as "You should become familiar with RFID technology because you'll be hearing much more about it soon" sounds pretty condescending when the technology has been in mainstream use since at least a decade and privacy watchdog organizations have been warning us about them since then. It's a bit like telling Cain he should check out CCTV cameras and linking to a 1995 FUD article about those.

I'm sorry, apparently you only just heard about RFID technology. It is also true that the technology on RFID keeps getting better and scarier every year, but that's not what the article you linked was talking about, because it dates from 2003. And really a lot of stuff happened in those 7 years on the field of RFID, and a lot of "predictions" the writer of that article makes just did not end up happening. On the other hand, a lot of stuff the author DID NOT predict, did end up happening, and that stuff is at least just as scary as the fantasy dystopian future stuff he made up in 2003.

So if anything, maybe you should become familiar with current-day RFID technology ;-) If you'd like a pointer, start with the wikipedia article (which I also have been checking while writing this, to make sure I'm not talking shit), and then continue to the proceedings and talks on various CCC conferences in Germany. They have the scary shit on privacy. Not even just RFID btw. Let me see if I can get you an arrow into that for you: http://www.google.com/search?q=rfid+site:ccc.de -- Most informative would probably be to check the videos and presentations, since the CCC is really into being open (source) and sharing (information), most of their videos are online for free, just click the "Video" tab in Google.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Charley Brown on August 23, 2010, 02:56:37 PM

unless you authored the article that you quoted ITT, I think you're overreacting.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Triple Zero

Quote from: BadBeast on August 23, 2010, 03:54:16 PM
Couldn't  RFID tags could be disabled using a simple burst of EM, or Microwaves, as soon as you get the product home? This would effectivey ensure the Technology is disabled for any nefarious Big Brother surveillence.

Yeah if you pop em into the microwave for a while, they're broken. On the other hand, if you bought a piece of electronics, it's also broken.

Another good way is to block the signal by creating a sort of Faraday-cage. Really, it's hilarious how close this gets to wearing actual Tinfoil Hats :lulz:

Basically what you do is create a sort of bag, box, or wallet kind of thing as you'd DIY using ducttape. Except you work aluminium foil into the design. It works best if you make sure the aluminium is completely surrounding (by conduction) the box, especially if you have contacts for the lid. Like a real Faraday cage, that is. You can try it out by putting your mobile phone in it, and calling it. If it doesn't work, you have successfully shielded it off from most EM radiation.

For example, I still want to get myself one of those duct-tape wallets with aluminium foil worked into it, because that would probably protect me from having my ID-card or Public Transport card remote scanned. For a quick fix, you could of course just wrap the cards into foil, but it's less snazzy ;-)
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Cain

Quote from: Triple Zero on August 23, 2010, 04:11:18 PM
It's a bit like telling Cain he should check out CCTV cameras and linking to a 1995 FUD article about those.

Wait, they're now using CCTV to spy on people?  In public?  What the fuck?

:argh!:

BadBeast

Only on bad people. If you have a clean conscience, then you don't show up on camera.

LMNO

Quote from: Cain on August 23, 2010, 04:26:21 PM
It's a bit like telling Cain he should check out CCTV cameras and linking to a 1995 FUD article about those.

:lulz:
:potd:

Don Coyote

Quote from: Cain on August 23, 2010, 04:26:21 PM

only you

BadBeast

Shops in UK are now using small adhesive strips, about an inch long, and a quarter inch wide, that are deactivated at the tills with a magnet. If they are not deactivated, an alarm sounds as you go out the door. Is this RFID?