News:

PD.com: promoting the nomadic, war-like and democratic lupine culture since 2002

Main Menu

Advances in artificially made organisms

Started by Sir Bearington, July 24, 2012, 07:55:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyrannosaurus vex

He's being dumb on purpose, but he's being meta-dumb accidentally. And that's what's annoying.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

Freeky

Quote from: v3x on July 25, 2012, 11:24:48 PM
He's being dumb on purpose, but he's being meta-dumb accidentally. And that's what's annoying.

Either way, that's his MO.

Nephew Twiddleton

Vex fucking nailed it on the head right there. Just left work.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on July 25, 2012, 04:47:41 PM
YOU KNOW, THE HUMAN RACE WOULD DIE OUT PRETTY QUICKLY IF WE WERE ALL BORN WITHOUT LUNGS.

:lulz:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Nephew Twiddleton

FUCKING FUCK!

FUCKING INTERNET WENT OUT FOR ALMOST TWO HOURS. GRRRRRRRRRRRR.

I YELL AT YOU LATER.

Nephew Twiddleton

Ok, so.

You spag around and annoy the crap out of everybody and then start up a thread asking for a clean slate. Freeky asks you a legit question about your position, and then you start acting like a moron again. It gets suggested that you're being dumb on purpose, maybe trolling, by a couple of people. You don't help that perception by asking, "well what if I am" and go on to say that you started this thread being retarded so you may as well continue to be retarded in this thread. That's not how that works.

If you want us to take you seriously:
1) Don't troll us
2) Don't willfully ignore valid points for the purposes of stubbornly sticking to a position
3) Don't start acting retarded again when you said you were going to stop

Now, on the chance that you don't get what's being said here, by like, everyone

A) Arguing that humanity would go extinct without advanced intelligence is a pointless speculation, since that is a defining human trait
B) Even if you want to discount that and speculate, intelligence is not our only defining adaption, and not the only thing that kept us from going extinct. It caused us to flourish, no doubt.

Consider. I mentioned early humans instinctually making tools, without thought, without innovation, but out of compulsion. You said something about early humans and monkeys banging rocks about but not really using them as tools. But tool use is a common higher primate trait. They don't think about it. They don't set out to create it. They just make it and use it. Like a chimpanzee eating termites. The chimp just knows to poke a stick in there. Early humans banged rocks together until they made stone axes, and then they used them. These were not terribly imaginative people yet. So, tool making and tool use does not require higher intelligence on the order that we have now.

It does require hands and upper body strength, which again, is common to higher primates. It also requires the ability to walk on two feet, at least for a certain amount of time. Hominids excel at that. Even the dumb ones.

We are extremely well adapted to hot climates. Hominids are actually the best at that. We're able to remain active at temperatures over 100F for the whole day (please to see slavery as proof). It sucks, but it won't kill us. It will kill any other land animal. Even other African species. Way back, it was hotter than it is now. And we would hunt under the noon day sun, when other animals were trying to stay still so that they wouldn't die of exhaustion. Sure we had pointy sticks and those sharp rocks that we banged together, but that was really just overkill. You could just keep scaring your food until it had a heart attack. And other predators will run away from a small band of hairless apes chasing after it unless it no longer has a choice. So your tiger just had a heart attack too. Your dismissal of endurance not being special is stretches credulity. Human endurance is unprecedented. And we're stubborn bastards. This endurance is afforded to us through sweat glands, lack of hair, energy efficiency, and again, bipedalism. None of these things are intelligence.

Binocular and color vision- makes us a superior hunter. While binocular vision is not unique, color vision is rarer.

Omnivorous diet- no gazelle? That's ok. Here's a fruit tree. Or a tarantula.  Whatever. No gazelle= dead lion. No intelligence required.

Scientists think our ancestors almost went extinct 1 million years ago, back when they weren't too smart. They didn't.

They also think that our species specifically came even closer to extinction 70000 ago as a result of natural disaster and climate change. But, hey, here we are, communicating across an ocean with our magic boxes. Maybe intelligence factored into it, maybe it didn't.

Also, there are dumber, weaker primates than us, like actual monkeys. They're doing alright on their own without much intelligence or superior strength.

There are plenty of reasons to shit on our species, but the reasons you give- weakness, inability to survive without intelligence, are most likely false. Intelligence gives us civilization, not survival. Sure, we're weaponized apes. But we're weaponized apes that can kick back and have a beer. A lemur can't but he's still alive.

Also, nothing would ever take our place. Like it or not, we are special. This planet is 5 billion years old and we only emerged in the last several thousand. In all that time evolution couldn't stumble upon us. And Earth is uninhabitable in about a billion years. We're not a repeat fluke. Certainly not whales who seem quite content staying in the water.

Pæs

If your position is that humans should be dead by nature's terms and yet humans remain alive, you need to acknowledge your error or explain why reality is playing by anything other than "nature's terms". What do you think the terms are if you are not basing them on observation? Do you feel that our technology exists isolated from or in opposition to nature?

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

His point seems to be that by taking Nature's terms and doing what Nature directed with them, humanity has violated Nature's terms and is therefore inferior to all other animals.

Telarus

Quote from: Sir Bearington on July 25, 2012, 02:56:25 PM
humans are glorified monkey's that in natures terms should not exist and are only good because they are smartarses.

There i said it.

http://io9.com/5927057/the-bigger-a-mammals-brain-the-less-likely-it-is-to-go-extinct
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Telarus on July 26, 2012, 07:38:02 AM
Quote from: Sir Bearington on July 25, 2012, 02:56:25 PM
humans are glorified monkey's that in natures terms should not exist and are only good because they are smartarses.

There i said it.

http://io9.com/5927057/the-bigger-a-mammals-brain-the-less-likely-it-is-to-go-extinct

I think that's part of his point though. That if everything were exactly the same but our intelligence, we would not be fit for survival, on the grounds that our bodies are weak. Even though, smaller, less intelligent primates than us seem to be doing well enough as long as we're not in the picture.

Sir Bearington

Apologies for the whole trolling and dumb arguement, i just want this thread to die really and be a buried relic of what was once trollbear and detatch it from myself.

Quote from: PROFOUNDLY RETARDED CHARLIE MANSON on July 26, 2012, 07:14:07 AM
His point seems to be that by taking Nature's terms and doing what Nature directed with them, humanity has violated Nature's terms and is therefore inferior to all other animals.

Yes, finally someone can decipher my mindless babbling behind a real point, thats what i am getting at.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Sir Bearington on July 26, 2012, 10:28:00 AM
Apologies for the whole trolling and dumb arguement, i just want this thread to die really and be a buried relic of what was once trollbear and detatch it from myself.

Yes, finally someone can decipher my mindless babbling behind a real point, thats what i am getting at.

If you want the thread to die, say so and ignore it. Continuing with assbaggery within it will only have the opposite effect.

Sir Bearington

Quote from: Bruce Twiddleton on July 26, 2012, 10:42:18 AM

If you want the thread to die, say so and ignore it. Continuing with assbaggery within it will only have the opposite effect.

Im assured that it WILL die eventually, but while its alive i may as well milk it for private lulz

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Sir Bearington on July 26, 2012, 10:45:18 AM
Quote from: Bruce Twiddleton on July 26, 2012, 10:42:18 AM

Im assured that it WILL die eventually, but while its alive i may as well milk it for private lulz

That will not endear you to us. Or at least me. I'd rather you have an honest conversation.