News:

That's okay, I know how to turn my washing machine into a centrifuge if need be.

Main Menu

Maya, Works In Progress

Started by Telarus, January 17, 2009, 10:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Telarus

Closeup of the previous landscape shot with Mental Ray options from the previous lighting tests and Sun and Sky.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Telarus

There's some issues, but I like how it turned out.
Telarus, KSC,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Whoa! I don't know the first thing about Maya/3D rendering, but that looks incredible.

How many hours do you think you put into that thing?
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Telarus

lol, too many, and I really underestimated how much time it would take to model and layout the texture-spaces, so had to crunch the lighting and setting up the plants at the end. I got 4 hours of sleep this morning =P.

(btw, the full render is 1600 x 1440, about twice as wide and tall as the above pic that Picasa scaled down.)
Telarus, KSC,

Telarus

Net, I think I put 50+ hours over 3 weeks in total with texture and photo research, modeling, UV unwrapping, texture painting, landscape displacement, realistic lighting, and generating and fixing the 3d plants before spreading them around. Sorry, I was a little too frazzled to estimate it earlier.

Concept art for my next piece:

Telarus, KSC,

Don Coyote

Jealous. And makes me miss my design class.

Telarus

Progress: Character mesh is finished. I have to rig a bone/animation structure, UV unwrap it, texture it, pose it, and light it. Oh, and build/texture the Spear Prop.

Telarus, KSC,

Disco Pickle

Quote from: Telarus on September 03, 2010, 12:38:36 AM
Progress: Character mesh is finished. I have to rig a bone/animation structure, UV unwrap it, texture it, pose it, and light it. Oh, and build/texture the Spear Prop.

I really miss the modeling I did like this back when I did it as a hobby..

Excellent work sir. 

I was never a maya guy..  I dumped countless hours into 3dsm for learning purposes..  and science,

What's the field in which you want to go??  game design? movies?  architecture?

where are you studying specifically and are you a campus kid?

"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

Telarus

Hey! Thanks for the interest!

I'm in the Art Institute of Portland's 'Game Art & Design' program, so most of the technical stuff is Game focused, but I'm learning enough mental ray to do cut-scenes or feature animation or architectural renders (apparently versatility is golden in CG right now).

Here's some lighting tests from class tonight (it's an iterative proccess). Great thing about this work-flow is that I'll never have to render a separate 'Ambient Occlusion' pass from now on.... SWEEEEET.

Key Light basic setup:

Rim Light basic setup:

Colored Key Light:

Both Lights Together:

Soften Shadows:

Add Diffuse (base) Color:

Add Highlights:

Final Brightness Tweaks:
Telarus, KSC,

Telarus

Proportional corrections, textured (diffuse/specular-reflection/bump).

Working on lighting/props/pose.

Telarus, KSC,

Telarus

Now to render 180 frames for a 6 second animation.
Telarus, KSC,

Don Coyote

Telarus

Even though class is over, I went back and did some touch-ups (the colors were desaturated, among other issues). CLICK for BIG VERSION (1280x1024).

Telarus, KSC,

NotPublished

whoa thats freaking cool im jealous

i wish i could manipulate 3d that well :(
In Soviet Russia, sins died for Jesus.

Triple Zero

NICE!

if you're still looking for constructive criticism: the white spots on the mushrooms aren't right. remember how they are formed, when they are little, a fibrous white sheet covers the mushrooms, and as the hood grows it breaks into little bits, exposing the red hood surface below. most important result of this is that the smaller mushrooms don't actually have smaller spots, they are just closer together (more white, less red). the way they look now makes them look obviously like scaled copies of eachother. the spots also dry up and their edges curl up a littlebit, adding a bumpmap to the texture that looks like an edge-detect version of the spots texture might fix that? (possibly masked with a tresholded version of the spots texture) I think I'd have a great time thinking up clever textures and bumpmaps :)
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.