News:

It's funny how the position for boot-licking is so close to the one used for curb-stomping.

Main Menu

Profile issues

Started by The Wizard, January 14, 2011, 12:46:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Wizard

Uh...I'm having some difficulties changing my profile picture. Anyone know what's up?
Insanity we trust.

Phox

Quote from: Dr. James Semaj on January 14, 2011, 12:46:02 AM
Uh...I'm having some difficulties changing my profile picture. Anyone know what's up?

Hit refresh.

Phox

Quote from: Faust on January 08, 2011, 07:30:49 PM
hit refresh. Everyone who ever has this problem, hit refresh.

The Wizard

Insanity we trust.

Phox

No problem. SEE!? RELIGIOUSLY READING EVERY NEW POST COMES IN HANDY!

Faust

Quote from: Doktor Phox on January 14, 2011, 12:49:54 AM
Well, looking in the meta forum where all the other technical stuff is and seeing the avatars thread might save some time before religiously reading every new post.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

The Wizard

Ah. Dumbass, thy name is Semaj. Sorry.
Insanity we trust.

Phox

Quote from: Faust on January 14, 2011, 12:52:01 AM
Quote from: Doktor Phox on January 14, 2011, 12:49:54 AM
Well, looking in the meta forum where all the other technical stuff is and seeing the avatars thread might save some time before religiously reading every new post.
That too.  :oops: :argh!:

:lulz:

Faust

Quote from: Dr. James Semaj on January 14, 2011, 12:53:44 AM
Ah. Dumbass, thy name is Semaj. Sorry.
Nah its my fault. We changed the way avatars are called in a thread which actually saves us a lot of calls per thread because each avatar isn't checked every time. Unfortunately it doesn't automatically clear the old one from the users cache.

the last yatto

Couldn't the page auto refresh when changed?
Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

Faust

Quote from: Able on January 14, 2011, 06:37:41 AM
Couldn't the page auto refresh when changed?
We could I think, if its pretty simple then I'll add it to the update profile source.

Triple Zero

I dunno if a <meta> refresh would also refresh the cache, but even if it works, it's the wrong solution.

It needs some kind of .htaccess "Etag" magic, where the browser sends a request with a hash of its cached version (Etag) and the server replies with "Not Modified" it it matches.

Or something.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Faust

Quote from: Triple Zero on January 14, 2011, 04:19:56 PM

It needs some kind of .htaccess "Etag" magic, where the browser sends a request with a hash of its cached version (Etag) and the server replies with "Not Modified" it it matches.

Or something.
That would be called pretty often if it checks every user, it also seems excessive like the meta method. I think its easier just to ask people to hit refresh after uploading the image.

AFK

Quote from: Triple Zero on January 14, 2011, 04:19:56 PM
I dunno if a <meta> refresh would also refresh the cache, but even if it works, it's the wrong solution.

Or something.

Don't be fooled pd.com  This looks like 000 engaging in harmless l33t speak but it is obviously secret code being sent out.  We're all going to get "the visit" soon. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Sir Squid Diddimus