News:

That line from the father's song in Mary Poppins, where he's going on about how nothing can go wrong, in Britain in 1910.  That's about the point I realized the boy was gonna die in a trench.

Main Menu

Why Leave the Cell?

Started by Jenne, December 12, 2006, 06:27:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jenne

Quote from: LMNO on December 12, 2006, 06:55:29 PM
Well, when we went beyond BIP into The Machine,Ñ¢ studies, I suggested that the Machine,Ñ¢ occured when people forgot they were in prison, and recoiled in horror at the baser aspects of their cell. ¬†Even if you don't want to bust out, simply remembering the imperfect nature of their perceptions will help you.

That's still the initial phase, though...of finding a way out.  I'm talking about after that, I guess.  You tried busting out...what's next?

I know I'm talking to cross purposes here...but there's this assumation that people want to or be able to leave or continue to fight once they've destroyed a wall or many walls.  Not everyone's a gladiator.  Not everyone has the ability to fight beyond their means and continue to do so.

So, I guess what I'm asking is, what's the next step for those people?  It's easy to be defeated by yourself, and I guess this is one way of that happening.  How to get past that point and back on track?

Maybe that's just too personal a thing to be answered too easily...?  

Jenne

Quote from: LMNO on December 12, 2006, 07:00:27 PM
That's why one of my approaches is scientific and biological, to establish some concrete limitations, before I get into the psychological/emotional/metaphysical limitations.

Ok, that makes sense.  Foundations in concrete before moving on to the  more esoteric areas that have more demystification to be wrought, in the end.

LMNO

My thinking is that if people remember they're in prison, they'll ask more questions, to remember that they might not be seeing the whole picture.  You don't have to bust out, you just have to remember your limitations.

Jenne

What do you mean, "Not seeing the whole picture?"

LMNO

Your prison (Reality Grid, Filter, Belief System, etc) cannot possble show you the entirety of external reality, and sometimes even blinds you to some of your internal reality.

So if you go around acting like you know everything that's going on, you're walking through the world mostly blind.

Jenne

True.  But you have to want to know what's around the corner to actually look.

LMNO

When the student is ready, and all that shit.

We point out the bars, and see what happens.  Some get it, some don't.  Them's teh breaks.

Jenne

Ah.  Teach to them that would have the ears to listen.

Got it.

You know, Jesus said something similar.

AFK

Safety can be quite appealing.

Even if that perceived safety is in the jaws of a bear trap. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Jenne

Heh.  Guess I should say, "It is reported that"...because with the anecdotal nature of the Bible, nothing in that thing is certifiable.

Jenne

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on December 12, 2006, 07:35:29 PM
Safety can be quite appealing.

Even if that perceived safety is in the jaws of a bear trap.

Totally.  It's this above that I'm talking about.  How to defeat the defeatist.

LMNO

Quote from: Jenne on December 12, 2006, 07:34:35 PM
Ah.  Teach to them that would have the ears to listen.

Got it.

You know, Jesus said something similar.

Son of a bitch stole my act.

Mangrove

LMNO - currently heading up the SSOOKN messiah/world teacher division.

8-)
What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.

AFK

It is a hard thing.  I've known people who question their belief.  Their belief in God, religion, whatever.  They know, they have that nagging thing going on inside that there is an excellent chance they are just on a wild goose chase.  But, it feels safe.  Their friends and family are doing it.  They have so many experiences and memories attached and co-mingling with it.  

To extricate yourself from that nest, that warm security blanket, can be very, very scary.  

I think of that ritual the Amish go through where they are out in "civilization" for a time and then they basically have a choice between losing their former life, family and all, in favor of this new, foreign life.  That has to be a heartwrenching thing to go through.  
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Jenne

EXACTLY, RWHN!!!  Exactly!

See, I have too many in my acquaintance just like this.  Too too many.  Sigh.