News:

I just don't understand any kind of absolute egalitarianism philosophy. Whether it's branded as anarcho-capitalism or straight anarchism or sockfucking libertarianism, it always misses the same point.

Main Menu

Favourite/ Least favourite STAR WARS character

Started by OPTIMUS PINECONE, November 07, 2008, 09:47:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Golden Applesauce

RE: The droids in The Clone Wars:

WHAT. THE. FUCK.

Now, let me tell you, I am perfectly prepared to suspend my disbelief for a sufficiently awesome idea.  The "comic relief" that the Lucas tried to pull off with the droids was not sufficiently awesome.

It's establish, in one of the movies, no less, that the droids have some kind of transmitter to coordinate their actions or something.  SO CAN SOMEBODY EXPLAIN TO ME WHY THEY ARE CRACKING JOKES OUT LOUD TO EACH OTHER?  THEY HAVE FUCKING WIRELESS.  Also, there was a scene where one of the droids was counting something out loud and then amusingly destroyed.  Counting out loud?  You - are - a - computer.  You can count from 0 to 63 on a single byte.  My four-function calculator is smarter than you.

Re: the rest of The Clone Wars.

I'm sure they made this mistake in other movies, but - if you are not a mammal, you do not get to have mammaries.  E/O/T.  Alien babes do not have boobs.

Insane Hutt thing with a retarded accent.  WTF.  I mean, the voice acting was terrible all around, but was that really necessary?

Spaceships with internal combustion engines inside and jets on the outside.  So Anakin and Pre-Teen Not-A-Mammal Jedi Girl are trying to escape by jacking a small spaceship.  You can hear the engine turn over and fail to start.  YOU HEARD A LIGHT-SPEED CAPABLE ENGINE FUCKING TURN OVER AND IT SOUNDS LIKE A SHITTY CAR.  I'M SORRY ANAKIN, SOMEBODY MUST HAVE LEFT YOUR INTERSTELLAR JUNKHEAP OUT IN THE COLD AND NOW THE ENGINE WON'T START.

Jabba the Hutt's nephew is sick.  How do we know?  Because Obnoxious Jedi Girl FEELS ITS FOREHEAD.  They could have said that she had extensive training in xenophysiology at the Jedi Temple, or said that she sensed its sickness with the Force.  But no, she FEELS ITS FUCKING FOREHEAD AND ANNOUNCES THAT IT HAS A FEVER.

So the Clone Troopers are besieging some Separatist city with heavy artillery.  The city puts up a slowly-expanding energy shield that blocks ranged fire.  Cool.  The droids advance just behind the shield, using it to protect them from the artillery until they will be to close for the artillery to fire.  (The plan being to slaughter the artillery.)  Cool.  The Clone commanders realize this and start freaking out.  Okay.  The droids start walking on a bridge.  Commander: "OH NOES, Jedi, hurry and go disable the shield generator."  Guess what they don't do?  DESTROY THE BRIDGE.  The ONLY WAY OUT OF THIS CITY IS ON A BRIDGE.

All of this could be forgiven for an engaging plot, or engaging characters, or even decent voice-acting.
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

hooplala

Quote from: GA on November 28, 2008, 07:05:06 PM
RE: The droids in The Clone Wars:So Anakin and Pre-Teen Not-A-Mammal Jedi Girl

How do we know that Togrutas aren't mammals?
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: BAWHEED on November 28, 2008, 07:12:09 PM

This is a pretty pointed question.  I would have just said:

Quote from: Eater of ClownsWho cares?  Boobs are awesome.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

AFK

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on November 27, 2008, 03:41:21 PM
I am, to the very core, a villain enthusiast.  I think a lot of great movies, books, and video games are defined by the villain.  That being said, my favorite character is Darth Vader, and by a long shot.  Episodes I, II, & III did quite a bit to ruin the character, but were forgivable for the most part as, even after Anakin "becomes" Darth Vader, he isn't really Vader until he dons that suit.  The most ruinous part was when he fell to his knees and gave a half-assed "NOOOO," but even that I can forget because of the time elapsed between III and IV.

I love that first force choke.
I love "I find your lack of faith disturbing."
I love the breathing and the voice.
I love "Join me and together we can rule the galaxy as father and son."
I love, LOVE the Imperial March.

I can remember watching the original trilogy when I was a kid, maybe 7 or 8 years old, and just being completely awed by him.

Least favorite character - Jar Jar Binks.  It's like that kid in school that everyone can't stand, but you're nice to because you feel bad for him so he thinks you're his friend.

I agree with everything in this post.  For all of his faults, at least Lucas was able to (in the original trilogy) concoct such an iconic villain.  Man, if I was a part of the Empire, I'd shit bricks anytime he walked into the room I was in. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Suu

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on December 01, 2008, 03:16:18 PM
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on November 27, 2008, 03:41:21 PM
I am, to the very core, a villain enthusiast.  I think a lot of great movies, books, and video games are defined by the villain.  That being said, my favorite character is Darth Vader, and by a long shot.  Episodes I, II, & III did quite a bit to ruin the character, but were forgivable for the most part as, even after Anakin "becomes" Darth Vader, he isn't really Vader until he dons that suit.  The most ruinous part was when he fell to his knees and gave a half-assed "NOOOO," but even that I can forget because of the time elapsed between III and IV.

I love that first force choke.
I love "I find your lack of faith disturbing."
I love the breathing and the voice.
I love "Join me and together we can rule the galaxy as father and son."
I love, LOVE the Imperial March.

I can remember watching the original trilogy when I was a kid, maybe 7 or 8 years old, and just being completely awed by him.

Least favorite character - Jar Jar Binks.  It's like that kid in school that everyone can't stand, but you're nice to because you feel bad for him so he thinks you're his friend.

I agree with everything in this post.  For all of his faults, at least Lucas was able to (in the original trilogy) concoct such an iconic villain.  Man, if I was a part of the Empire, I'd shit bricks anytime he walked into the room I was in. 

People still shit bricks every time Darth Vader walks into the room, I speak from personal experience. I found that Royal Guards aren't well liked either. Apparently we are the root of all evil.

Also: Didn't fall to his knees.

Togrutas are considered near-human, and therefore: Boobs.

Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Suu on December 01, 2008, 05:57:39 PM

Togrutas are considered near-human, and therefore: Boobs.

pwned

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.