News:

Several times a month, I will be in a store aisle reaching for something and feel a hand going up the inside of my thigh. When I turn around to find myself alone with a woman, and ask her if she would prefer me to hold still so she can get a better feel for the situation, oftentimes she will act "shocked" claiming nothing had happened, it must be somebody else...

Main Menu

Fractal Cult

Started by Cramulus, October 29, 2010, 04:25:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cramulus

Herein is especially apprehended the unity of Nature, -- the unity in variety, -- which meets us everywhere. All the endless variety of things make an identical impression. Xenophanes complained in his old age, that, look where he would, all things hastened back to Unity. He was weary of seeing the same entity in the tedious variety of forms. The parable of Proteus has a cordial truth. Each particle is a microcosm, and faithfully renders the likeness of the world.

Not only resemblances exist in things whose analogy is obvious, as when we detect the type of the human hand in the flipper of the fossil saurus, but also in objects wherein there is great superficial unlikeness. Thus architecture is called "frozen music," by De Stael and Goethe. Vitruvius thought an architect should be a musician. "A Gothic church," said Coleridge, "is a petrified religion." Michael Angelo maintained, that, to an architect, a knowledge of anatomy is essential. In Haydn's oratorios, the notes present to the imagination not only motions, as, of the snake, the stag, and the elephant, but colors also, as the green grass. The law of harmonic sounds reappears in the harmonic colors. The granite is differenced in its laws only by the more or less of heat, from the river that wears it away. The river, as it flows, resembles the air that flows over it, the air resembles the light which traverses it with more subtle currents, the light resembles the heat which rides with it through Space. Each creature is only a modification of the other, the likeness in them is more than the difference, and their radical law is one and the same. A arule of one art, or a law of one orgnization, holds true throughout nature. So intimate is this Unity, that, it is easily seen, it lies under the undermost garment of nature, and betrays its source in Universal Spirit. For, it pervades Thought also. Every universal truth which we express in words, implies or supposes every other truth. Omine verum vero consonat. It is like a great circle on a sphere, comprising all possible circles, which, however they may be drawn, and comprise it, in like manner. Every such truth is the absolute Ens seen from one side. But it has innumerable sides.

-Nature Walking, by Ralph Waldo Emerson (p38)

minuspace

Taking the idea of fractal recursion as a lens, it would be interesting to see how that works with a temporal horizon.  Taking the fern leaf as an image first, I see recursion as the repetition of a pattern on a plane.  This is similar to how we may render recursion in the temporal mode of being  present:  the picture of that fern leaf is rendered on a plane, without the recursion strongly intimating the presence of different levels.

The repetition across a plane then seems to occur at different scales, crudely, going both over, and also in, or out.  Over like panning the lens; in and out like zooming. 

Both these cases of recursion occurring in the mode of being present imply a repetition of recursion.  The repetition requires ...

[Interrupted by telephonic things...]

the last yatto

In SyFy's Alice, the fractal is the mark of the oysters when the humans enter wonderland
Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

Epimetheus

Quote from: Pēleus on November 25, 2010, 04:25:09 AM
In SyFy's Alice, the fractal is the mark of the oysters when the humans enter wonderland
:asplode:

You lost me.
POST-SINGULARITY POCKET ORGASM TOAD OF RIGHTEOUSNESS

LMNO

Quote from: Epimetheus on November 25, 2010, 09:14:59 AM
:asplode:

You lost me.

Read Through the Looking Glass.  Specifically, "The Carpenter and the Walrus."

Cain

The first part of this reminded me of this thread (bolded for your ease of use):

QuoteThe Ultimate Power.  The user of this ability contains a smaller, imperfect echo of the entire universe, enabling them to search out paths through probability to any desired future.  If this sounds like a ridiculously powerful ability, you're right - game balance goes right out the window with this one.  Extremely rare among life forms, it is the sekai no ougi or "hidden technique of the world".

Nothing can oppose the Ultimate Power except the Ultimate Power.  Any less-than-ultimate Power will simply be "comprehended" by the Ultimate and disrupted in some inconceivable fashion, or even absorbed into the Ultimates' own power base.  For this reason the Ultimate Power is sometimes called the "master technique of techniques" or the "trump card that trumps all other trumps".  The more powerful Ultimates can stretch their "comprehension" across galactic distances and aeons of time, and even perceive the bizarre laws of the hidden "world beneath the world".

Ultimates have been killed by immense natural catastrophes, or by extremely swift surprise attacks that give them no chance to use their power.  But all such victories are ultimately a matter of luck - it does not confront the Ultimates on their own probability-bending level, and if they survive they will begin to bend Time to avoid future attacks.

But the Ultimate Power itself is also dangerous, and many Ultimates have been destroyed by their own powers - falling into one of the flaws in their imperfect inner echo of the world.

Stripped of weapons and armor and locked in a cell, an Ultimate is still one of the most dangerous life-forms on the planet.  A sword can be broken and a limb can be cut off, but the Ultimate Power is "the power that cannot be removed without removing you".

Perhaps because this connection is so intimate, the Ultimates regard one who loses their Ultimate Power permanently - without hope of regaining it - as schiavo, or "dead while breathing".  The Ultimates argue that the Ultimate Power is so important as to be a necessary part of what makes a creature an end in itself, rather than a means.  The Ultimates even insist that anyone who lacks the Ultimate Power cannot begin to truly comprehend the Ultimate Power, and hence, cannot understand why the Ultimate Power is morally important - a suspiciously self-serving argument.

The users of this ability form an absolute aristocracy and treat all other life forms as their pawns.

Telarus

He's talking about Circuits 1-8, or to put it another way, he talking about the fundamental Divinity/Darkness in human beings (who, individually, have the ability to abstract and predict events in their environment at a much higher level than the other life forms on the planet).

At the same time, he's talking about the fundamental disconnect between the "upper mind/lower mind" that you find in humans, as expressed by Hermes Trimegisterous (As Above, So Below), Tai/Chi/Chi Gung (Upper and Lower Dan Tien), NeuroPsychology (Disconnect between the autonomic and central nervous systems, or the head-brain and gut-brain), Kabala (Upper Sephiroth, Lower Sephiroth in the Tree of Life), Tantra (raising the Kundalini Serpent Energy from the Red Genital Chackra, up through the Purple Pineal, and Void Crown Chackras). This describes the disconnect between 'intuitive' prediction-thought-response and 'abstract/deliberated' prediction-thought-response that the Buddha said leads to the rising of Desires, which you then pursue without considering the negative effects of your actions.

Nearly all of the schools that teach techniques to reconcile the Hodge and the Podge of the diffuse and sleeping human potential warn of treating others as pawns, and thus being destroyed by the TAO.

Nice find, Cain. I especially like this imagery:

++contains a smaller, imperfect echo of the entire universe, enabling them to search out paths through probability to any desired future.++
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Cain

Well, he calls it Bayesian Rationality, but that doesn't mean they're not necessarily the same thing.

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

The DIY factor of this fractal will cause you to shit your pants into your pants in a turquoise poomp of infinity:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=DK5Z709J2eo

and what appears to be the same kind of fractal only with 3d graphics and horrifying synced audio:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lcO9zRCv-4
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Telarus

Telarus, KSC,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,

Triple Zero

Quote from: Telarus on December 20, 2010, 01:44:33 AM
Nice.

Here's another good score:

http://sites.google.com/site/mandelbox/negative-mandelbox

I love the "extreme closeup" focal blur trick in one of those pictures further down the bottom. It gives a wonderful sense of scale that most 3D fractals lack. Of course they should lack a sense of scale, cause they're fractals, however bringing that back brings them a bit more "down to earth", a bit less surreal or psychedelic.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Telarus

Telarus, KSC,

Triple Zero

mental note: render moar fractals :)
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Luna

Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."