News:

Licenced Jenkem provider since 2007

Main Menu

ITT: Original Story Ideas

Started by Cramulus, May 11, 2009, 09:40:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on January 30, 2015, 01:15:46 AM
A person gets superpowers in a freak accident. They resolve to become a superhero and then accomplish a lot of mundane work while putting off acting on this resolution.

:lol: I like this.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Rococo Modem Basilisk

As a side effect of a freak accident, a scientist becomes immortal. However, that same freak accident warps his sense of time. He never realizes that he has become immortal, or stopped aging. Eventually, humans evolve into a something completely alien all around him, and he is confused.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

A hippie dystopia. Everyone has achieved the top portion - but only the top portion - of Maslow's heirarchy of needs. All people have love and respect, but health and safety are lacking due to a combination of inefficient traditional farming techniques, habitually stoned safety inspectors, and homeopathy. Like a darker version of Le Trente-Huit Cunegonde.
Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago

Rococo Modem Basilisk

This one is from a dream I had last night:
An old, well-respected molecular biologist who specializes in chemical messaging between freshwater microbiota, after years of futilely resisting changes in lab tech, resequences several strains of water-borne bacteria and turns them into colonies of high-speed optical computers; lets them loose in a public fountain.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Roko's Modern Basilisk on February 03, 2015, 01:16:25 PM
An old, well-respected molecular biologist who specializes in chemical messaging between freshwater microbiota, after years of futilely resisting changes in lab tech, resequences several strains of water-borne bacteria and turns them into colonies of high-speed optical computers; lets them loose in a public fountain.

:lulz:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

axod

Quote from: Roko's Modern Basilisk on February 03, 2015, 01:16:25 PM
Fresh!
just this

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

A team of superheroes deals with the decline of the newspaper industry and the resultant loss of their day jobs at said newspapers.

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Roko's Modern Basilisk on January 31, 2015, 02:30:45 PM
As a side effect of a freak accident, a scientist becomes immortal. However, that same freak accident warps his sense of time. He never realizes that he has become immortal, or stopped aging. Eventually, humans evolve into a something completely alien all around him, and he is confused.

This has been done, more or less.
Molon Lube

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Quote from: Doktor Howl on February 05, 2015, 07:44:03 AM

Where? The second and fourth sentences of the suggestion both remind me of both The Forever War and A Star Change, the second and third sentences taken together are vaguely reminiscent of The Outsider, and the freak lab accident is of course a staple of superhero comics and monster movies. But I don't think I've seen them all done together like that.

axod

Nonplussed by the ardently arbitrary nature of their beliefs and social norms, he is riddled by the anxiety occasioned by their infantile and erratic behavior.  This, after repeated aeons of absurdity, he eventually overcomes by enacting a butcherized version of Father Christmas qua Omniscient Cosmic King.  The performance is decorated with empty miracles, presented as the true desire of that moribund race hastening to disappear.
just this

Rococo Modem Basilisk

A group of ten people is sent on a one way trip to colonize Mars. There is an accident on the way, and they lose one person. After settling in, every Wednesday, one of them dies in a gruesome and violent death. After six weeks, the culprit is found and executed. The remaining two colonists must deal with the guilt of not identifying the killer for so long, and the awkwardness of suspecting each other, for the rest of their lives.

Rococo Modem Basilisk

Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on February 05, 2015, 08:25:43 AM

Where? The second and fourth sentences of the suggestion both remind me of both The Forever War and A Star Change, the second and third sentences taken together are vaguely reminiscent of The Outsider, and the freak lab accident is of course a staple of superhero comics and monster movies. But I don't think I've seen them all done together like that.

It *happened*, more or less. A soviet scientist stuck his head inside a malfunctioning particle accelerator and now the left side of his face hasn't aged in forty years -- it's not even shedding skin cells. He's still alive.

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Quote from: Roko's Modern Basilisk on February 05, 2015, 12:52:41 PM

It *happened*, more or less. A soviet scientist stuck his head inside a malfunctioning particle accelerator and now the left side of his face hasn't aged in forty years -- it's not even shedding skin cells. He's still alive.

That sounds rather cloaer to Twoface and/or The Incredible Hulk.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Roko's Modern Basilisk on February 05, 2015, 12:52:41 PM

Link?

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Especially something that confirms the "not shedding skin cells" part because that's bullshit. Lack of visible aging can easily be explained by paralysis.