OPEN BAR: Top 10 things millenials hate about OB that we didn't know last week!

Started by Doktor Howl, April 23, 2015, 04:00:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hooplala

I don't know about the USA, but in Canada it's not legal for an employer to badmouth a former employee to a possible future employer.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Hoopla on May 21, 2015, 08:05:01 PM
I don't know about the USA, but in Canada it's not legal for an employer to badmouth a former employee to a possible future employer.

If negative comments are not allowed then references from previous employers are pointless.

I'm not sure if that is good or bad.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Cain

Quote from: Reginald Ret on May 21, 2015, 08:12:51 PM

If negative comments are not allowed then references from previous employers are pointless.

Please.

If your reference comes back as "we can confirm this person worked here from X to Y period" and nothing else, it's pretty obvious what is going on, even to the most dimwitted recruiter.

Bruno

Quote from: Cain on May 21, 2015, 08:17:46 PM

Please.

If your reference comes back as "we can confirm this person worked here from X to Y period" and nothing else, it's pretty obvious what is going on, even to the most dimwitted recruiter.

That is all my former employer will say except, I think, maybe salary. They actually outsource that job to another company.
Formerly something else...

hooplala

If they were not happy with a former employee, they can say they would prefer not to comment. Which tells a potential employer all they need to know. So, it pretty much amounts to the same.

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

hooplala

Quote from: Cain on May 21, 2015, 08:17:46 PM

Please.

Yes, this.

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Hoopla on May 21, 2015, 08:44:21 PM

If they were not happy with a former employee, they can say they would prefer not to comment. Which tells a potential employer all they need to know. So, it pretty much amounts to the same.
I forgot the law is easily fooled by such tricks.

That reminds me of a joke.

A woman sues a man for defamation of haracter, charging that he called her a pig. The man is found guilty and made to pay damages. After the trial he asks the judge, "Does this mean that i can no longer call Ms. Harding a pig?"
The judge says, "That is correct."
"And does it mean that I can't call a pig Ms. Harding?"
"No," says the Judge, "you are free to call a pig Ms. Harding. There is no crime in that."
The man looks Ms. Harding in the eye and says, "Good afternoon, Ms. Harding."
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Doktor Howl

Negative comments are pretty much an automatically-successful lawsuit in the USA.

Molon Lube

hooplala

Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 21, 2015, 09:20:53 PM

Negative comments are pretty much an automatically-successful lawsuit in the USA.

I figured something like that must be in place, considering how litigious the USA is.

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Hoopla on May 21, 2015, 09:22:08 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 21, 2015, 09:20:53 PM

I figured something like that must be in place, considering how litigious the USA is.

We aren't as litigious as conservative pundits would have you believe, and the vast majority of lawsuits are in fact launched by large corporations.

But still.
Molon Lube

axod

Landlord was splainin' bout how't was best to wash pickings prior to consumption, then looked at me and said, "not you, you're a daemon, you'll just burn it off.". :lulz:
just this

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: axod on May 22, 2015, 03:51:08 AM
Landlord was splainin' bout how't was best to wash pickings prior to consumption, then looked at me and said, "not you, you're a daemon, you'll just burn it off.". :lulz:

:lol: Where the hell do you live?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cainad (dec.)

My uncle passed away Wednesday night.

Nothing much to say, really, but I figured I ought to follow up after dropping my problems in Open Bar a few days ago.

EK WAFFLR

"At first I lifted weights.  But then I asked myself, 'why not people?'  Now everyone runs for the fjord when they see me."

Horribly Oscillating Assbasket of Deliciousness
[/b]

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Cainad (dec.) on May 22, 2015, 07:36:05 AM
My uncle passed away Wednesday night.

Nothing much to say, really, but I figured I ought to follow up after dropping my problems in Open Bar a few days ago.

Sorry, man.  :sad:
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.