News:

"We don't make the apocalypse, we make the apocalypse better."

Main Menu

Seriously, NOW where is the Youtube thread?

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, July 17, 2012, 06:33:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dildo Argentino

Not too keen on rigor, myself - reminds me of mortis

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

There's a guy who flies his drone in the park by my house. It's kind of like flying a remote control helicopter. Only I guess  now it's a drone, because the controls are more complex.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Dildo Argentino

These people are wearing VR goggles and flying in first person view though.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Dodo Argentino on October 18, 2014, 09:25:06 AM

WOW I'M SO GLAD YOU EXPLAINED THAT, BECAUSE IT WAS NOT COMPLETELY OBVIOUS FROM THE VIDEO.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

It's just a toy you can buy in a hobby shop. Goggles and everything. And there is a guy who flies his in the park half a block away from my house because he's a filthy rich American capitalist pig who can afford to drop $1200 on an RC toy with VR goggles. He probably works for Intel or FEI or one of the god knows how many other tech companies that have campuses here.

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Quote from: Your Mom on October 18, 2014, 09:14:35 PM
It's just a toy you can buy in a hobby shop. Goggles and everything. And there is a guy who flies his in the park half a block away from my house because he's a filthy rich American capitalist pig who can afford to drop $1200 on an RC toy with VR goggles. He probably works for Intel or FEI or one of the god knows how many other tech companies that have campuses here.

I'm getting one of those little Mobius cameras that are mounted on them. They rival GoPros in video quality but are surprisingly affordable ($80) and have some wicked cool software/firmware support. But I'm mounting mine on my helmet so I have some legal recourse if someone pulls some shit in traffic. Had some close calls recently.

In tangentially related news, British cyclist altercations are hilarious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V83XKkVYZ-I
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: N E T on October 19, 2014, 01:24:55 AM
Quote from: Your Mom on October 18, 2014, 09:14:35 PM

I'm getting one of those little Mobius cameras that are mounted on them. They rival GoPros in video quality but are surprisingly affordable ($80) and have some wicked cool software/firmware support. But I'm mounting mine on my helmet so I have some legal recourse if someone pulls some shit in traffic. Had some close calls recently.

In tangentially related news, British cyclist altercations are hilarious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V83XKkVYZ-I

:lulz: That would have been far less civil here.

Dildo Argentino

Quote from: Your Mom on October 18, 2014, 09:00:25 PM

WOW I'M SO GLAD YOU EXPLAINED THAT, BECAUSE IT WAS NOT COMPLETELY OBVIOUS FROM THE VIDEO.

I'm sorry, I truly put my foot in it there. I thought maybe you didn't watch all of it, and I didn't know they were commonplace there, I certainly haven't seen anything like it over here. Actually, an instance of not intending to be patronising at all, and still managing to do so, due to ignorance. Once more, I'm sorry about that. I guess from your first response ("There's a guy who flies his drone in the park by my house. It's kind of like flying a remote control helicopter. Only I guess  now it's a drone, because the controls are more complex.") it was not really clear that the guy in the park by your house was flying with VR goggles. 1200 dollars means I need to wait a couple of years though.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Dodo Argentino on October 19, 2014, 06:34:04 PM
Quote from: Your Mom on October 18, 2014, 09:00:25 PM

I'm sorry, I truly put my foot in it there. I thought maybe you didn't watch all of it, and I didn't know they were commonplace there, I certainly haven't seen anything like it over here. Actually, an instance of not intending to be patronising at all, and still managing to do so, due to ignorance. Once more, I'm sorry about that. I guess from your first response ("There's a guy who flies his drone in the park by my house. It's kind of like flying a remote control helicopter. Only I guess  now it's a drone, because the controls are more complex.") it was not really clear that the guy in the park by your house was flying with VR goggles. 1200 dollars means I need to wait a couple of years though.

If you look at your post, there is no logical way I could have made a mental connection to RC helicopters without watching at least part of the video.

I suppose it could have just been a nonsequitur having nothing to do with your post, though.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Not saying it's some horrible unforgivable insult. Just saying that you might be able to learn from it.

It's generally more uh, socially graceful to assume that the people you're talking to have a clue, than to assume that they're clueless. If you aren't totally sure they're on the same page there are ways to feel it out without jumping right to that conclusion.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

FWIW I think neighbor guy also has an IR camera on his, because he often flies it at night. Must be pretty badass.

Dildo Argentino

Quote from: Your Mom on October 20, 2014, 01:27:37 AM
Not saying it's some horrible unforgivable insult. Just saying that you might be able to learn from it.

It's generally more uh, socially graceful to assume that the people you're talking to have a clue, than to assume that they're clueless. If you aren't totally sure they're on the same page there are ways to feel it out without jumping right to that conclusion.

Okay, I take your point. I think the reason I made the mistake is that the first appearance of VR Goggles is at 1:19, and when I watched it, I didn't realise until that time that this was the salient point. IR camera... yep, that sounds badass. And eminently weaponisable. How long before those things can shoot poison darts, for instance? (probably a negative number, is how long)

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Dodo Argentino on October 20, 2014, 02:33:39 AM
Quote from: Your Mom on October 20, 2014, 01:27:37 AM

Okay, I take your point. I think the reason I made the mistake is that the first appearance of VR Goggles is at 1:19, and when I watched it, I didn't realise until that time that this was the salient point. IR camera... yep, that sounds badass. And eminently weaponisable. How long before those things can shoot poison darts, for instance? (probably a negative number, is how long)

I'm not sure how else you would navigate them through a forest when you can't actually see the quadcopters themselves.  :? I dunno, it seemed pretty obvious to me. But I was already familiar with the idea.