News:

PD.com: "a rather irritating form of hermetic terrorism".

Main Menu

Depression

Started by Lenin McCarthy, November 26, 2012, 01:42:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lenin McCarthy

Hey buddy.
If you think depression is cool, you're DOING IT WRONG.
Feeling just a little sad, or cynical or nihilistic isn't depression.
Call me back when you've woken up in the morning one day and your bed is a trench a thousand feet deep with steep cliffs on all sides,
you have no motivation to do anything whatsoever, your life, your friends, your family, your education, your work and all the little things you usually enjoy mean absolutely nothing to you, you feel like just ceasing to exist forever.
Depressions can ruin large parts of your life, or it can be a wake-up call for a change in lifestyle. It may or may not help you get a more accurate view of the universe. But generally it's just a really shitty thing to go through.

Please stop belittling mental illness by wearing faux-depressions to appear "cool" or "intellectual" OR I WILL KILL A MOTHERFUCKER.

OR KILL ME.

Juana

:hi5: You and me both. I want to tear those people a new asshole or three.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Lenin McCarthy on November 26, 2012, 01:42:53 PM
Hey buddy.
If you think depression is cool, you're DOING IT WRONG.
Feeling just a little sad, or cynical or nihilistic isn't depression.
Call me back when you've woken up in the morning one day and your bed is a trench a thousand feet deep with steep cliffs on all sides,
you have no motivation to do anything whatsoever
, your life, your friends, your family, your education, your work and all the little things you usually enjoy mean absolutely nothing to you, you feel like just ceasing to exist forever.
Depressions can ruin large parts of your life, or it can be a wake-up call for a change in lifestyle. It may or may not help you get a more accurate view of the universe. But generally it's just a really shitty thing to go through.

Please stop belittling mental illness by wearing faux-depressions to appear "cool" or "intellectual" OR I WILL KILL A MOTHERFUCKER.

OR KILL ME.

The bolded pretty much sum what it actually feels like. You don't even feel like dying because that's also doing something, whether you're the agent for it or not. No, you want to stay in that trench, in that nice bit of oblivion between your last waking thought and your first dream.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

The Good Reverend Roger

I've never had that.  I'm either ass-on-fire angry, or blisteringly horny, or laughing til my guts bleed, etc.  I'm stuck on manic.  I think I may be very lucky in this regard.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Juana

Having had both ends, I think they suck equally. Mania grinds a person into dust. Depression dissolves them.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Secret Agent GARBO on November 26, 2012, 06:14:59 PM
Having had both ends, I think they suck equally. Mania grinds a person into dust. Depression dissolves them.

Fortunately, I don't seem to be running out of person.  Or at least pills.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Juana

I hit the one month mark of a mania (because, haha, I'm an idiot and didn't realize that the anti-d I was on at the time was the problem) and was frayed enough at the edges that I wrecked a car.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Secret Agent GARBO on November 26, 2012, 06:30:41 PM
I hit the one month mark of a mania (because, haha, I'm an idiot and didn't realize that the anti-d I was on at the time was the problem) and was frayed enough at the edges that I wrecked a car.

Yeah, my jeep is in pretty fucked up shape because of that.  Also, I am banned from many fine venues in Tucson...But that's a pretty low price to pay for having the right kind of fun, even if it shortens my lifespan.

Juana

I don't mind that kind of fun. I mind the fact that I can't sleep, hallucinate, and am so jittery and on edge that I can't sit still. It kinda makes it hard to have actual fun.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Secret Agent GARBO on November 26, 2012, 06:39:35 PM
I don't mind that kind of fun. I mind the fact that I can't sleep, hallucinate, and am so jittery and on edge that I can't sit still. It kinda makes it hard to have actual fun.

Well, yeah.  That's what the pills are for (I can't sleep a wink without 'em, no shit, sometimes I'd go 50 hours or more...Nothing more "fun" than screaming at the ceiling all night & day).  Never hallucinated outside of extreme sleep deprivation, though.  My biggest problem tends to be "annoying the fuck out of my friends" when I'm feeling particularly "up".

Juana

It's all minor, shadows I see out of the corner of my eye (although they were larger and more frequent when I was on zoloft or whatever it was). I know what it is, so it's never been more than a minor annoyance, but giving myself whiplash from jerking around instinctively (lion in the tall grass?) is unpleasant.
That sounds more like hypomanias, which happen once in a while. I don't like them much either, because it means my brain chemistry is all out of whack, but they're waaay more tolerable than actual manias. Like, I actually understand why some people get off their meds for them, even though I think that's insanely foolish.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Secret Agent GARBO on November 26, 2012, 06:48:16 PM
It's all minor, shadows I see out of the corner of my eye (although they were larger and more frequent when I was on zoloft or whatever it was). I know what it is, so it's never been more than a minor annoyance, but giving myself whiplash from jerking around instinctively (lion in the tall grass?) is unpleasant.
That sounds more like hypomanias, which happen once in a while. I don't like them much either, because it means my brain chemistry is all out of whack, but they're waaay more tolerable than actual manias. Like, I actually understand why some people get off their meds for them, even though I think that's insanely foolish.

I get that when I'm tired.  A piece of paper fluttering in the wind is a snake, etc.

And I don't think I'm actually "clinically" manic (usually)...Though I wouldn't really know if I was, I suppose.  I just have a "loud" personality.

Juana

I'm actually (very mildly) bipolar. The occasional spike of paranoia (had one of those this summer, those are always fun), every couple years an up, and once in a while a depressive phase.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Secret Agent GARBO on November 26, 2012, 07:05:20 PM
I'm actually (very mildly) bipolar. The occasional spike of paranoia (had one of those this summer, those are always fun), every couple years an up, and once in a while a depressive phase.

I think, if I HAD to diagnose myself, I'm an "asshole".  Sometimes there just isn't a need for a clinical name, you know?  My moods are almost entirely dictated by how much sleep I get, and what shape I keep myself in.  Right now I'm sleeping okay, and I'm shedding pounds (again), but I'm still way out of shape.  So my mood is about average.  For me.

LMNO

Haven't you been professionally diagnosed as an asshole?