News:

Please take a stand against our terrible values

Main Menu

Aleister Crowley

Started by John Wilkes Harvey Oswald, March 24, 2004, 01:15:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

Well, seeing as how I can't tell how much hair you have, but noticing the size of your brain, I predict you coif resembles Christina Aguilera's in the "Lady Marmalade" video.

If you're not sure how to take that, it was a compliment.

Seems like you're equating Crowley with the assholes who pretend to know what he was about.  Pity.

EraPassing

Well, thank you!  *beams at LMNO*

But, actually, I'm equating Crowley with every other pouf who publishes a book on anything mystic.
Another thing I hate, besides condescending men, is what I call the Scholar's Arrogance - that habit that scholars have that assuming that just because they happen to have an opinion that matches the opinion of someone who happened to have published a book, then both they and that author must be right.  You know the conversations I'm talking about, right?

Pouf #1:  Well, So-and-So said that "Blah blah blah..."
Pouf #2:  Ah, but according to So-and-Other, "Blah blah  blah blah!"  So, of course that means blah blah blah...
Pouf #1:  Well, if you're going to take it like that, then what did you think when you read So-and-So's "Blah blah and blah?", where he said "Blah blah blah blah"?  Anyone with any sense must recognize that he's absolutely right!  His opinion absolutely proves this theory I'm expanding on!
Era:  You're both silly poufs, did you know that?
Elves suck.
Yeah, I said it, I went there.  Whatcha gonna do?

LMNO

Well hey, let's not be gender biased here.  How about condescending women? I often feel like smacking Starhawk in the teeth.

EraPassing

Quote from: LMNOWell hey, let's not be gender biased here.  How about condescending women? I often feel like smacking Starhawk in the teeth.

Actually, I was refering to the man who made assumptions about my brain capacity with my "condescending" comment, but you're absolutely right about condescending women authors, too.  
I mean, c'mon.  That whole "I deign to teach others now because I have reached a state of enlightenment that, perhaps, after centuries of devotion to the study of MY teachings, you may one day reach, too" schtick - it's BS.
I mean, yeah, I understand the idea of making your students work for their education unless you're planning on handing them a pre-chewed set of ideas and beliefs, but the Mysteries aren't really as mysterious as everyone keeps making them out to be.  From Wicca to what I've explored of the rest of the magical traditions - it's all easier than the "experts" are making it out to be.  That's probably the root of my impatience with mysticism - it's just not that damn hard.  People need to get over themselves, and quit pretending that it is.
Elves suck.
Yeah, I said it, I went there.  Whatcha gonna do?

Horab Fibslager

mysticism does not equal magick.

while it may be on eof the more appropriate terms in western culture, mysticism is more like indyan aesceticism than anything out of egypt.

especially since magick is generally ritualistic and involving the manipulation of one's environment through arcane means, whereas mysticism has nothign to do with any of that. there may be soem small elements of ritual in mysticism, but probaly less than regionally surrounding isms(liek buddhism, hinudism, zenism). and definitely less than anything magick, which is even more aritcifial(smoke and mirrors) than the ritual of those isms other mentioned,.
Hell is other people.

Irreverend Hugh, KSC

If you can't get BLAH
then first get B
then L
then AH

AH is the elixir of the seventh angel of the seventh nipple
of the mighty sky queen.

So then
at last
Get BLAH!
"Time for the tin-foil hats, girls and boys!"

LMNO

Though not a Subgenius,

If you can't get SLACK
then first get S
then L
then ACK

ACK is the elixir of the seventh Puff of the seventh Pipe
of the mighty BOB.

So then
at last
Get SLACK!

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNOThough not a Subgenius,

If you can't get SLACK
then first get S
then L
then ACK

ACK is the elixir of the seventh Puff of the seventh Pipe
of the mighty BOB.

So then
at last
Get SLACK!

HAW HAW!  WRONG AGAIN!

If ya can't get slack, get the perfect cheeseburger.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Horab Fibslager

adn failign that there's beer in teh fridge. help yourself.
Hell is other people.