News:

By the power of lulz, I, while living, have conquered the internets.

Main Menu

Unofficial What are you Reading Thread?

Started by Thurnez Isa, December 03, 2006, 04:11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iason Ouabache

Quote from: Mangrove on June 17, 2008, 07:09:51 PM
Quote from: Iason Ouabache on June 16, 2008, 10:37:39 PM
Reading "Unholy Spirits" by Gary North at the suggestion of Cain. I dove into it knowing absolutely nothing about Mr. North and his crazy beliefs.  This thing is like a massive trainwreck.  I'm only on page 26 and I've already busted 3 Irony Meters. 

His overall thesis so far seems to be: the damned-dirty hippies (especially The Beatles) are to blame for the rise of both occultism and humanism in the United States, the occultism has started to corrupt our universities and is harming science and OUR VERY WAY OF LIFE!!!, the best way to save Western Civilization is to reject occultism and go back to the old mythology of Christianity. 

I don't think that there is any way I'll be able to finish this thing because the amount of horrormirth has been overwhelming so far.  Damn you, Cain!!!   :argh!:

This book sounds ridiculous. I think I want to read it!

Ok, but don't say I didn't warn you:

http://www.entrewave.com/freebooks/docs/21ea_47e.htm
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Raphaella

I saved a copy for later perusal, it cant be as insufferable as The Politics at Gods Funeral, or can it?

The sun shall be turned to darkness and the moon into blood before the coming of the great and terrible OZ

Triple Zero

Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Cain

Quote from: Iason Ouabache on June 18, 2008, 08:16:09 AM
Quote from: Mangrove on June 17, 2008, 07:09:51 PM
Quote from: Iason Ouabache on June 16, 2008, 10:37:39 PM
Reading "Unholy Spirits" by Gary North at the suggestion of Cain. I dove into it knowing absolutely nothing about Mr. North and his crazy beliefs.  This thing is like a massive trainwreck.  I'm only on page 26 and I've already busted 3 Irony Meters. 

His overall thesis so far seems to be: the damned-dirty hippies (especially The Beatles) are to blame for the rise of both occultism and humanism in the United States, the occultism has started to corrupt our universities and is harming science and OUR VERY WAY OF LIFE!!!, the best way to save Western Civilization is to reject occultism and go back to the old mythology of Christianity. 

I don't think that there is any way I'll be able to finish this thing because the amount of horrormirth has been overwhelming so far.  Damn you, Cain!!!   :argh!:

This book sounds ridiculous. I think I want to read it!

Ok, but don't say I didn't warn you:

http://www.entrewave.com/freebooks/docs/21ea_47e.htm

STFU, Gary North is teh awesome.

He goes on about psychics and Carlos Castenada and stuff later on in the book too.

Cain

Now reading The Eternal Hermes by Antoine Faivre.  Between this and Trickster Makes the World, I am fairly convinced that Hermes is a viable Discordian deity in his own right.  Possibly more on that later.

Reeducation

The Illuminatus! Trilogy, at page 296.
Any other good books from these/this guys/guy?

(beyond good and evil, is still on pause. i'll have to start it again)
I am very calm

Dido

Quote from: Cain on June 23, 2008, 08:18:30 PM
Now reading The Eternal Hermes by Antoine Faivre.  Between this and Trickster Makes the World, I am fairly convinced that Hermes is a viable Discordian deity in his own right.  Possibly more on that later.

That's the second Hermes in five minutes. Hm.

Now reading Modest_Witness@Second_Millenium by Haraway.

Cainad (dec.)

The Religious Case Against Belief by James P. Carse

Very interesting; so far I'm pretty captivated by his arguments about the nature of belief systems. I highly recommend it.

Iason Ouabache

"Breaking the Spell" Daniel Dennett.  Basically about the memetics of religion.  Pretty interesting so far.

I'm still trying to finish "Chaos: Making a New Science".  It's a hard subject to get your head wrapped around though.

You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Thurnez Isa

Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"Veronika Decides to Die" by Coelho. So far so good.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Honey

I started reading the Illuminatus! Trilogy & while I like certain parts, some of it is starting to annoy me.  I'm taking a break to re-read the chapter about the Mind's Eye in How the Mind Works by Steven Pinker
Fuck the status quo!

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure & the intelligent are full of doubt.
-Bertrand Russell

singer

Quote from: Honey on July 17, 2008, 12:52:12 PM
I started reading the Illuminatus! Trilogy & while I like certain parts, some of it is starting to annoy me. 
The first time I read it I was so irritated I tossed it to a friend and said "You have to wade through 700 pages of dreck to get to one good joke about how Catholics earned Bingo"... since then I have revised some of my opinion.
"Magic" is one of the fundamental properties of "Reality"

hooplala

Quote from: Honey on July 17, 2008, 12:52:12 PM
I started reading the Illuminatus! Trilogy & while I like certain parts, some of it is starting to annoy me.  I'm taking a break to re-read the chapter about the Mind's Eye in How the Mind Works by Steven Pinker

I skip parts now, if I pick it up again, but I really loved it the first time I read it.  It touched on so many things I was interested in.  I guess that helped, for me.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Cain

I'm reading The Pirate's Dilemma by Matt Mason, and A Game of Thrones by George RR Martin (Fire and Ice series, apparently an amazing series of books according to most of my friends).

I'm doing a review of The Pirate's Dilemma for Liberal Conspiracy, so once I've done it, I'll add it here as well.