News:

Endorsement:  I know that all of you fucking discordians are just a bunch of haters who seem to do anything you can to distance yourself from fucking anarchists which is just fine and dandy sit in your house on your computer and type inane shite all day until your fingers fall off.

Main Menu

HOLY FUCKING PRIVACY RAPE!

Started by Shibboleet The Annihilator, February 18, 2010, 05:18:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Yeah, tell them that and there'll be like a 500% increase in suspicious white vans, clown suits, bags of sweets and nylon rope sales.

Cramulus

fucking shitbag hell!

The school's handling of this is just pure horrormirth. They're referring to the spycams with the euphemism "security software" .  :lulz:

By the year 2030, the word "security" will have a totally different meaning. People won't even use it to refer to protecting things, just observing and controlling them.

The Panopticon, the notion that authority is always watching, is a tool for control and discipline. I wish the public was better educated about this - this surveillance state thing was invented to keep prisons in check.

Cain

Foucault, thou art proven right!

Again.

Bastard.

Dr. Paes

Shibboleet The Annihilator

Quote from: Horrendous Foreign Liam Stoat on February 22, 2010, 09:36:52 AM
the fycking big hole in their story is YOU DON'T NEED A WEBCAM TO PHYSICALLY LOCATE A LAPTOP. have they not heard of GPS tags?
'

Actually, in a lot of these security tracking programs that is a standard feature and it has caught a number of thieves. However, using it to spy on children is probably not a purpose the programmers had in mind.

edit: typo

Requia ☣

I've worked with tracking software, never seen one that needed a webcam.  An IP address and a warrant does the trick.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Requia ☣

Mangrove

The Orwellian aspects of this case are noted.

What I am not understanding, is why these laptops were left 'on' and 'open' all the time. When I'm done using my computer, I switch the damn thing off and walk away. Back in the days when I had a laptop, when I was done using it, I switched it off and closed the screen down

Am I missing something here? If so, I'm reverting to a hypoglycemia defense and will go and get something to eat.

What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.

LMNO

What you don't understand is that the portal to the all-powerful internet MUST BE KEPT OPEN AT ALL TIME! HOW ELSE ARE WE TO SEE THE LATEST FACEBOOK UPDATES AND YOUTUBE COMMENTS?  THIS 'TURNING OFF' YOU SPEAK OF IS A BLASPHEMY AGAINST SOCIAL CULTURE AND WILL RUIN YOUR PEER STANDING! 
TWEET ME BACK!

Mangrove

Quote from: LMNO on February 25, 2010, 06:21:37 PM
What you don't understand is that the portal to the all-powerful internet MUST BE KEPT OPEN AT ALL TIME! HOW ELSE ARE WE TO SEE THE LATEST FACEBOOK UPDATES AND YOUTUBE COMMENTS?  THIS 'TURNING OFF' YOU SPEAK OF IS A BLASPHEMY AGAINST SOCIAL CULTURE AND WILL RUIN YOUR PEER STANDING! 
TWEET ME BACK!

:lulz:

Clearly, the authoritarian pervs who came up with the laptop camera caper had based their plan on this very idea.

Teacher: Man, those fucking kids are never off their damn phones/i-pods!!
Perv: ohhhh......wait a minute!  :fap:
What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Mangrove on February 25, 2010, 06:03:47 PM
The Orwellian aspects of this case are noted.

What I am not understanding, is why these laptops were left 'on' and 'open' all the time. When I'm done using my computer, I switch the damn thing off and walk away. Back in the days when I had a laptop, when I was done using it, I switched it off and closed the screen down

Am I missing something here? If so, I'm reverting to a hypoglycemia defense and will go and get something to eat.

They probably weren't left open and on ALL the time, but a lot of people, including me, will get up and take breaks from the computer without shutting it down, or will leave a chat program open while I do other stuff, or go get something to eat. And, honestly, I have never thought twice about using my laptop in bed, or computing in my underwear. Or buck naked, in the summers.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

:horrormirth:

http://www.boingboing.net/2010/02/25/school-administrator.html

QuoteA few weeks ago, Frontline premiered a documentary called "Digital Nation". In one segment, the vice-principle of Intermediate School 339, Bronx, NY, Dan Ackerman, demonstrates how he "remotely monitors" the students' laptops for "inappropriate use". (his demonstration begins at 4:36)

He says "They don't even realize we are watching," "I always like to mess with them and take a picture," and "9 times out of 10, THEY DUCK OUT OF THE WAY."

He says the students "use it like it's a mirror" and he watches. He says 6th and 7th graders have their cameras activated. It looks like the same software used by the Pennsylvania school that is being investigated for covertly spying on students through their webcams.

The shocking thing about this is that the privacy concerns were not even mentioned in the Frontline documentary!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Triple Zero

For anyone interested, this blog post (and also the comments somewhat) seems to give the facts about this incident:

http://strydehax.blogspot.com/2010/02/spy-at-harrington-high.html

on the one hand's it's not literally as bad as some of the media make it out to be, but on the other hand, it's still pretty bad. in short, the capability has been there, but it's not proven that any shots of kids in their homes have been taken, or something.

either way, if I were still in highschool, and they gave me a laptop like that, I'd probably start doing all my homework in my bedroom, while butt naked. because then they would be FUCKED FOREVER if they ever tried something.

Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Requia ☣

Its possible the school in question hasn't spied on kids with the stuff, but there have been a few documentaries (including one mentioned in your link) where administrators in other parts of the country admit that they did that.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Triple Zero on February 26, 2010, 10:41:52 PM
For anyone interested, this blog post (and also the comments somewhat) seems to give the facts about this incident:

http://strydehax.blogspot.com/2010/02/spy-at-harrington-high.html

on the one hand's it's not literally as bad as some of the media make it out to be, but on the other hand, it's still pretty bad. in short, the capability has been there, but it's not proven that any shots of kids in their homes have been taken, or something.

either way, if I were still in highschool, and they gave me a laptop like that, I'd probably start doing all my homework in my bedroom, while butt naked. because then they would be FUCKED FOREVER if they ever tried something.

YES  :lol: