News:

News:  0 1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89 144 233 377 610 987 1597 2584 4181 6765 10946 17711 28657, motherfuckers.

Main Menu

We were mighty.

Started by Pæs, July 24, 2011, 07:59:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pæs

I found this on my computer and wasn't sure whether I posted it here. I thought I might have, but I couldn't find it, so here it is.

We were mighty. We knew we were. That wasn't enough, though.

It was important that everyone knew. What good is being mighty if nobody else knows about it? It was decided that we would build an enemy. Like that day you got that kid at school to pretend to be a bully, so you could fight him off and look like a hero. It was like that.

We had to build an enemy that we knew we couldn't lose against. We chose a small boy. He didn't have many friends, so we knew nobody would mind if we picked on him. We took his things and we pushed him around. We told him he had to do how we did, and that if he didn't there would be trouble. We wrote "enemy" on the back of his shirt so everyone would know what he was, what they should think of him. There was really no contest.

"Enemy".

We all knew what that word meant, then, but now we're not so sure. We thought that the word would be enough to keep him isolated. It was, for the most part. Some still insisted on ignoring our advice and defying our will. Threatening our control, so we wrote "enemy" on them as well. We wrote "enemy" on everyone who stood too close to them. We wrote "enemy" on everyone who questioned us. "Enemy" spread like a plague, because so many of us had the power to write it. We wrote it on each other's faces. We wrote it until it all but lost its meaning.

"Enemy". "Enemy". "Enemy". "Enemy". "Enemy". Until we were outnumbered, simply for our inability to agree on definition. A subtle thing like semantics. We didn't expect it to have a measurable effect. "Enemy". "Enemy". "Enemy". "Enemy". "Enemy". Until the words blended together into noise. An unintelligible, menacing hum, enveloping our heads and nurturing our paranoia. Perhaps the first of them wasn't that boy, but whoever decided to write on his shirt.

There's more than one kind of magic.

Placid Dingo

Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.

Jenne

Hey, move this to OKM.  :D

BabylonHoruv

You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Pæs

Quote from: Jenne on July 25, 2011, 05:33:06 AM
Hey, move this to OKM.  :D

Would some mod pl0x to make this happen?

Pæs

Junkenstein

Paes, can I Big Words this?

Is there a second part? It feels like it needs to talk about "Ally" to complete it somehow.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Q. G. Pennyworth

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Pæs

Quote from: Junkenstein on September 02, 2013, 09:40:44 PM
Paes, can I Big Words this?

Is there a second part? It feels like it needs to talk about "Ally" to complete it somehow.

Do what you like with it!

Unlikely to write a second part, though.

Q. G. Pennyworth

Pæs