News:

Testimonial - Well it seems that most of you "discordians" are little more than dupes of the Cathedral/NWO memetic apparatus after all -- "freethinkers" in the sense that you are willing to think slightly outside the designated boxes of correct thought, but not free in the sense that you reject the existence of the boxes and seek their destruction.

Main Menu

Biologists on the Verge of Creating New Form of Life

Started by Iason Ouabache, September 10, 2008, 05:01:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iason Ouabache

http://blog.wired.com/wiredscience/2008/09/biologists-on-t.html?npu=1&mbid=yhp

QuoteA team of biologists and chemists is closing in on bringing non-living matter to life.

It's not as Frankensteinian as it sounds. Instead, a lab led by Jack Szostak, a molecular biologist at Harvard Medical School, is building simple cell models that can almost be called life.

Szostak's protocells are built from fatty molecules that can trap bits of nucleic acids that contain the source code for replication. Combined with a process that harnesses external energy from the sun or chemical reactions, they could form a self-replicating, evolving system that satisfies the conditions of life, but isn't anything like life on earth now, but might represent life as it began or could exist elsewhere in the universe.

While his latest work remains unpublished, Szostak described preliminary new success in getting protocells with genetic information inside them to replicate at the XV International Conference on the Origin of Life in Florence, Italy, last week. The replication isn't wholly autonomous, so it's not quite artificial life yet, but it is as close as anyone has ever come to turning chemicals into biological organisms.

"We've made more progress on how the membrane of a protocell could grow and divide," Szostak said in a phone interview. "What we can do now is copy a limited set of simple [genetic] sequences, but we need to be able to copy arbitrary sequences so that sequences could evolve that do something useful."

By doing "something useful" for the cell, these genes would launch the new form of life down the Darwinian evolutionary path similar to the one that our oldest living ancestors must have traveled. Though where selective pressure will lead the new form of life is impossible to know.

"Once we can get a replicating environment, we're hoping to experimentally determine what can evolve under those conditions," said Sheref Mansy, a former member of Szostak's lab and now a chemist at Denver University.
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Kai

I've been reading about stuff like this. Its scary and exciting at the same time.

I wonder what the creationists reaction will be: positive, negative, neutral? Will they be upset that humans have gone against gods will, a blashphemous attack, or will they say, See, if humans can do it, god can definitely do it.

I'm just thinking about that guy with the peanut butter jar, "no new life". Wonder if he will have a heart attack.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Iason Ouabache

Quote from: Kai on September 10, 2008, 05:07:01 PM
I've been reading about stuff like this. Its scary and exciting at the same time.

I wonder what the creationists reaction will be: positive, negative, neutral? Will they be upset that humans have gone against gods will, a blasphemous attack, or will they say, See, if humans can do it, god can definitely do it.

I'm just thinking about that guy with the peanut butter jar, "no new life". Wonder if he will have a heart attack.
You know damn well that they'll just move the goalposts.  That's the only thing they're good at.
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Payne

:lulz:

I think about him often. He makes me laugh like no other creationist ever has.

Vene

I wonder what the creationists reaction will be: positive, negative, neutral? Will they be upset that humans have gone against gods will, a blashphemous attack, or will they say, See, if humans can do it, god can definitely do it.

'It's proof of a designer!'
Quote from: Dr. Payne on September 10, 2008, 05:13:31 PM
How do you feel about bananas?
[urlhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Of90cKxSeuw[/url]

Kai

The best part was how he had to lift the seal up slowly, just to make sure there wasn't actually anything in there.

Some faith he has!  :lulz:
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Kai

Quote from: Vene on September 10, 2008, 05:18:58 PM

[urlhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Of90cKxSeuw[/url]

Both the peanut butter vid and the banana one lead to a very classic thread. Roger wanted to give me a heart attack and we all ended up with some nicely stirred lulz from my colon voiding.

Vene

Quote from: Vene on September 10, 2008, 05:18:58 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Of90cKxSeuw
Dammit, I really fucked up the html, this post should correct it.

Vene

Quote from: Kai on September 10, 2008, 05:22:41 PM
Both the peanut butter vid and the banana one lead to a very classic thread. Roger wanted to give me a heart attack and we all ended up with some nicely stirred lulz from my colon voiding.
Creationists are a near endless source of lulz.  They just don't understand why.

Kai

Quote from: Vene on September 10, 2008, 05:38:15 PM
Quote from: Kai on September 10, 2008, 05:22:41 PM
Creationists are a near endless source of lulz.  They just don't understand why.

Thats why its so funny.  :lulz: