News:

PD.com: Where we throw rocks at your sacred cows

Main Menu

Mah sewing.

Started by Raphaella, January 16, 2009, 09:38:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I ate the FUCK out of that bacon!  :lulz:

I belted the shirt right under my boobs, and I'm going to wear this to a play tonight.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Suu

Quote from: Sanguine Penguin on January 26, 2009, 10:19:31 PM
Ease Stitch the collar facing and lining to fit. (Troll detected @ ease stitch.)

KILL IT WITH FIRE!
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Raphaella

Quote from: Nigel on January 26, 2009, 10:21:18 PM

I belted the shirt right under my boobs, and I'm going to wear this to a play tonight.

I'm sure it was still good. We hold it for three days at the Diner then three more days in the employee cafeteria, I got it fresh on the very first day.
Sweet, what play are you going to see?

and Suu I think I just may kill it with fire. I took the collar facing/lining off like three times last night. Good think it was only basted but WTF?? Ease Stitch thou has defeated me.    :cry:

The sun shall be turned to darkness and the moon into blood before the coming of the great and terrible OZ

Suu

Quote from: Sanguine Penguin on January 26, 2009, 10:31:00 PM
Quote from: Nigel on January 26, 2009, 10:21:18 PM

I'm sure it was still good. We hold it for three days at the Diner then three more days in the employee cafeteria, I got it fresh on the very first day.
Sweet, what play are you going to see?

and Suu I think I just may kill it with fire. I took the collar facing/lining off like three times last night. Good think it was only basted but WTF?? Ease Stitch thou has defeated me.    :cry:

Ease stitching makes no sense to me. Make the fucking lining fit the shell or WAYSA?

If it continues to give you problems, trim the lining and say "fuck it".

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Raphaella

That's what I'm gonna have to do. I already took the lining off the collar facing and attached that separately, I'll just wing it from there. I may have to walk away from this thing and work on something else for a while so that I don't just tear it to shreds. I can work with ease, but not when the thing to be eased is almost twice the size of the shell. That seriously fucked me up.
The sun shall be turned to darkness and the moon into blood before the coming of the great and terrible OZ

Suu

Quote from: Sanguine Penguin on January 26, 2009, 10:59:06 PM
That's what I'm gonna have to do. I already took the lining off the collar facing and attached that separately, I'll just wing it from there. I may have to walk away from this thing and work on something else for a while so that I don't just tear it to shreds. I can work with ease, but not when the thing to be eased is almost twice the size of the shell. That seriously fucked me up.

I honestly will never understand why, especially when there are pleats in the lining when it's not a hang-loose. WTF? Have you actually tried doing cartridge pleats or hand gathers instead of ease stitching? It's cheating, but it helps.

Is this lining supposed to give body to the garment?

Raphaella

Heh I did cheat the first time with hand gathers and when it turned it right side out it was all poofey, almost as if someone (me) had gathered the collar and lining.

I think the pattern is just fucked. My sewing teacher used to say that all store bought patterns were fucked up, but I just did not believe her. I'm starting to though.

I'm going to sew the collar facing on separately from the jacket lining, then press and under stitch. The under stitching should make it lay right. The only part of the lining that gives the garment shape is the collar facing. So when that's laying right I'll attach the lining any way I can that wont be all fucking poofey! The only part of the jacket that is to be poofey are the sleeves.

cartridge pleats, I had to look them up. I did not get to finish tailoring school.  :cry: I had to drop out and persue my dream in food service. I'll be going back soon I hope.

Raphaella

:eek: GOOD GOD! Looking into more of this cartridge pleat thing I found this woman who made Snape's costume!! Holy Fuck that looks like a pain in the ass! Her costume seems to have turned out quite well though. I wish I could do that!  :eek:

http://www.yvettes.net/SnapeConstruction.html

Suu

Quote from: Sanguine Penguin on January 26, 2009, 11:41:42 PM
Heh I did cheat the first time with hand gathers and when it turned it right side out it was all poofey, almost as if someone (me) had gathered the collar and lining.

I think the pattern is just fucked. My sewing teacher used to say that all store bought patterns were fucked up, but I just did not believe her. I'm starting to though.

I'm going to sew the collar facing on separately from the jacket lining, then press and under stitch. The under stitching should make it lay right. The only part of the lining that gives the garment shape is the collar facing. So when that's laying right I'll attach the lining any way I can that wont be all fucking poofey! The only part of the jacket that is to be poofey are the sleeves.

cartridge pleats, I had to look them up. I did not get to finish tailoring school.  :cry: I had to drop out and persue my dream in food service. I'll be going back soon I hope.

TROOF.

Especially if they are made by Simplicity.

Sir Squid Diddimus

Nigel- that outfit rocks hard

Simplicity patterns- FAIL hard

rosenstock

Quote from: Sanguine Penguin on January 26, 2009, 11:47:17 PM
:eek: GOOD GOD! Looking into more of this cartridge pleat thing I found this woman who made Snape's costume!! Holy Fuck that looks like a pain in the ass! Her costume seems to have turned out quite well though. I wish I could do that!  :eek:

Practice makes perfect!
You seem very talented at sewing anyway.
Chaos is a name for any order that produces confusion in our minds.

scree

Ok, I'm pretty new to sewing, so I've been looking for something relatively easy to get me started. then I came upon this ... project:
http://diyfashion.about.com/od/diyaccessories/ss/SleeveGloves.htm

tl;dr: 1.Cut sleeves off a sweatshirt.

2. Wear

But what to do with those seemingly useless leftover scraps (an entire sleeveless sweater)? FABULOUS EARRINGS:

Raphaella

Quote from: rosenstock on January 27, 2009, 06:48:10 AM
Quote from: Sanguine Penguin on January 26, 2009, 11:47:17 PM

Practice makes perfect!
You seem very talented at sewing anyway.

Thank you very much.  :wink:

And scree, the first project our teacher had us work on was an apron. Here is a pattern I found online, but you can pretty much wing it if you want. http://www.jcarolinecreative.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=JC&Screen=APRONINST

Nice earrings btw.

LMNO

Scree, is that you in that pic?

Suu

I have so much scrap fabric I'm thinking of weaving them together to make scarves.