News:

PD.COM:  Mindlessly hitting the refresh button for weeks on end.

Main Menu

PD as a Discordia

Started by trix, July 14, 2014, 03:34:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trix

This might come off as pretentious and stupid.
That might be because I am pretentious and stupid.

Anyway:

The way I see it, Discordia comes in millions of flavors, but only three real scopes.  And what I mean by scopes is that, on the one end of the scale, we are all Popes.  We have EVERYBODY'S Discordia, even in the modern BIP interpretation where (whether an individual knows it or not) we are all in our own little cell in the BIP, even if we don't see it or have other names for it.  Then, on the other end of the scale, we have the INDIVIDUAL'S Discordia, AKA, MY Discordia.  Which is better than YOUR Discordia and EVERYBODY'S Discordia because it is specific to me as an individual Mildly Intelligent Pretend Agent of My Own Destiny.  Between the two, there's a middle scope, the "Stuck Apart" Discordia.  OUR Discordia you might call it.  This includes the Cabal level, Forum level, and Community level takes on Discordia.

And, obviously, the further you are from EVERYBODY'S Discordia the more exclusive the party becomes.  Of course, there's the fewest number of EVERYBODY'S Discordias and the greatest number of MY Discordias, so anyone interested can still connect at all three scopes to Discordians with close enough interpretations for meaningful discourse.  I myself am part of the PD-ZWZM-BIP-TtC "EVERYBODY'S" Discordia at the left end, this forum and a local Cabal in the middle, and a version of life in MY Discordia exclusive to my gf and I, on the other end.

I'm not sure if that makes sense or where I'm really going with this.  I guess I just find it an interesting train of thought.

Also I think that the whole scale including the extreme "ALL POPES" end implements its own filters to repel those Discordians that are better off sticking a bit aparter.  Yes I know aparter isn't a word.  The PD is probably the first filter most encounter, and you have to have a certain level of tolerance for humor and/or silliness to ride that ride.  Every collection of Discordians I've encountered seems to have these filters, and the filters are always a bit different.

I don't know.  Somebody come in here and finish my thought please, because I seem unable to take it anywhere
There's good news tonight.  And bad news.  First, the bad news: there is no good news.  Now, the good news: you don't have to listen to the bad news.
Zen Without Zen Masters

Quote from: Cain
Gender is a social construct.  As society, we get to choose your gender.

Bu🤠ns

Bu🤠ns

Naw i dig... I never really considered breaking it down like that. 

It's kind of like our identities too.  At work I'm one dude, at home i'm another.  How my personality and such tend to be somewhat dictated by my roles.  So goes the same for our many cabals. 

Telarus

Yes, good insights in here. I may have more to say when I get home from work, as PDX has some interesting Cabals that I've participated in.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I like this, and it ties into a thought I was having yesterday, which is that if every man, woman, and child on Earth is a Pope, that includes those who some would dismiss as "cabbages" and "grayfaces". Their Discordia is still valid.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LMNO

This is true. And it's why there was the "Knights of the Five-Sided Castle" division in the original PD, for actors in the Greyface Beurocracy.

Bu🤠ns

Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on July 15, 2014, 11:29:14 PM
I like this, and it ties into a thought I was having yesterday, which is that if every man, woman, and child on Earth is a Pope, that includes those who some would dismiss as "cabbages" and "grayfaces". Their Discordia is still valid.

The fact that Discordia is all inclusive is one of the aspects I really appreciate.  Like how there's a place for everyone even if they're totally off the wall yet even still, today, this concept seems so foreign.

trix

Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on July 15, 2014, 11:29:14 PM

Indeed.  But since meaningful discourse generally works best when the participants have more in common, people tend to stick apart into groups more common to them in the middle, and have their own individual or life-sized take on it on the right.  That's where the filters come in.

I was thinking more about the PD filter today, the tolerance for humor and silliness.  I think this was intentional on some level, since it takes the ability to laugh at yourself, to be able to pull off silly properly.  I think that ability is very important in My Discordia, and I enjoy discourse with those who also appreciate this.  At the same time, however, if it's not done in a clever or original way, it gets old quickly, and too much pinealism makes meaningful discourse impossible.  Thus, in the middle, this forum works for me because the majority here filter out the too-serious and the too-pinealist in a way I mostly approve of.

In "Real Life" among those I'm closer to my filters tend to be stronger, for obvious reasons, and for the world at large my filters tend to be rather generic and basic.  At the extreme left end where Everyone's A Pope the filter is simply "Anyone who truly doesn't want to cause anyone/thing else to suffer".  Anyone meeting that criteria is an OK human being in my book.  At the extreme right end my filters would take much more space to describe, and delve into humor, loyalty, etc.

I guess all I've gotten out of this line of thinking so far is a good healthy examination of the filters I use at each level to influence which people are involved in my trip here on earth.
There's good news tonight.  And bad news.  First, the bad news: there is no good news.  Now, the good news: you don't have to listen to the bad news.
Zen Without Zen Masters

Quote from: Cain
Gender is a social construct.  As society, we get to choose your gender.

Chucklemaster

I actually really appreciate this interpretation, and, sorry for necroposting, but what happens when someone like me busts through the filter? by which I mean, at first I got offended by people not liking my ideas, and then I realized that people don't have to like my ideas for them to be good, and also that I need to be clear and not expect everyone to think according to my thoughts. now I'm much more accepting of people not liking my ideas, the things that I say, and the things that I do, but for all intents and purposes I shouldn't be here.
blah blah blah the rest of the song

Telarus

Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

hooplala

"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman