News:

Bigotry is abound, apprently, within these boards.  There is a level of supposed tolerance I will have no part of.  Obviously, it seems to be well-embraced here.  I have finally found something more fucked up than what I'm used to.  Congrats. - Ruby

Main Menu

Roger: WTF is going on in Tucson?

Started by Kai, January 16, 2012, 04:47:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kai

If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: ZL 'Kai' Burington, M.S. on January 16, 2012, 04:47:46 PM
http://www.salon.com/2012/01/13/whos_afraid_of_the_tempest/singleton/

It's really simple.  We've become small.  Weak.  We've looked at the world and the universe, and we've decided that it has to go.  It's a few hundred thousand scared White retirees who think that looking at what the world has to offer is some kind of treason, and they're taking us all to Crazytown with them.

And it ain't Tucson, Kai, it's all of Arizona.  I'd love to say "Phoenix", but that wouldn't be accurate.

And it's all of America.  We're just leading the pack.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Juana

Everything about this infuriates and befuddles me. Just...what?

QuoteThe list of removed books includes the 20-year-old textbook "Rethinking Columbus: The Next 500 Years," which features an essay by Tucson author Leslie Silko.
:horrormirth: Stay in the 19th century all right!

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 16, 2012, 05:16:30 PM
Quote from: ZL 'Kai' Burington, M.S. on January 16, 2012, 04:47:46 PM
http://www.salon.com/2012/01/13/whos_afraid_of_the_tempest/singleton/

It's really simple.  We've become small.  Weak.  We've looked at the world and the universe, and we've decided that it has to go.  It's a few hundred thousand scared White retirees who think that looking at what the world has to offer is some kind of treason, and they're taking us all to Crazytown with them.

And it ain't Tucson, Kai, it's all of Arizona.  I'd love to say "Phoenix", but that wouldn't be accurate.

And it's all of America.  We're just leading the pack.
I'm waiting for this to happen here.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Secret Agent GARBO on January 17, 2012, 12:52:52 AM
Everything about this infuriates and befuddles me. Just...what?

QuoteThe list of removed books includes the 20-year-old textbook "Rethinking Columbus: The Next 500 Years," which features an essay by Tucson author Leslie Silko.
:horrormirth: Stay in the 19th century all right!

We're banning books!  :banana:

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

A thought:  Godwin's Law doesn't really apply if there's actual Nazism going on, right?

Murmur

Tolerable Terror for Toddlers Legionaire, Nixon Division™

"Onlookers will be horrified and amazed by the sheer volume of fluid."--TGRR

"SaraLee, I say unto you!  If ye have a cake and halve it, and then halve it yet again, you would have four quarters and yet still not have a dollar.  Eat of that cake, for it is cake which is NOT cake, which ye may have half a mind to have at a reasonable price, yet in indecision achieve satori with said stale Moon Pie.  That's what you get when YOU FUCK WITH US." - DOUR

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

AUUUUUUGHHHHH I am glad for my kids that it hasn't hit the kale-addicted enclave of Portland yet. Leslie Marmon Silko, a threat to American values? Only if American values closely mimic those of the Vatican in 1880.

Conservative America clearly wishes to tale a step back to the principles of Industrialism, only without the industry.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LMNO

Banning a book by a prominent Ethnic Studies supporter is an obvious move.  II'm a little more freaked out that they banned Shakespeare.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on January 17, 2012, 03:53:15 PM
Banning a book by a prominent Ethnic Studies supporter is an obvious move.  II'm a little more freaked out that they banned Shakespeare.

They wrote the definitions a little broad, it seems.

Cain

I don't see why not. He is a foreigner, after all.  Refused to speak proper English, made up a bunch of nonsense words.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on January 17, 2012, 03:55:34 PM

I don't see why not. He is a foreigner, after all.  Refused to speak proper English, made up a bunch of nonsense words.

Also wrote a bunch of subversive shit, and was obviously a drug addict (You don't write "A Midsummer Night's Dream" after two cups of coffee.).

Freeky

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 17, 2012, 03:57:30 PM

Also wrote a bunch of subversive shit, and was obviously a drug addict (You don't write "A Midsummer Night's Dream" after two cups of coffee.).

You might after two cups of Death Coffee. 

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: The Freeky of SCIENCE! on January 17, 2012, 04:42:57 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 17, 2012, 03:57:30 PM

You might after two cups of Death Coffee.

Nope.  Then Puck would be a Big Gay Biker.

Juana

It occurred to me that this, if they take it all the way (which they will, if they're banning history books and Shakespeare), they'll have to dump a lot of WWII lit ( Number the Stars, The Diary of Anne Frank, Maus, etc.), stuff like Grapes of Wrath, and so much else. I'm kind of floored just thinking about it.

Although it will be far from the first time Grapes of Wrath has been banned, honestly (lookin' at you, Kern county).
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Don Coyote

Quote from: Secret Agent GARBO on January 17, 2012, 06:34:04 PM
It occurred to me that this, if they take it all the way (which they will, if they're banning history books and Shakespeare), they'll have to dump a lot of WWII lit ( Number the Stars, The Diary of Anne Frank, Maus, etc.), stuff like Grapes of Wrath, and so much else. I'm kind of floored just thinking about it.

Although it will be far from the first time Grapes of Wrath has been banned, honestly (lookin' at you, Kern county).

WAIT WUT??? When did that happen?