News:

You know what I always say? "Always kill the mouthy one", that's what I always say.

Main Menu

CONFUSION! :argh!:

Started by Sister Fracture, February 23, 2011, 09:41:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sister Fracture

Okay, let's say a creature has a natural claw attack, and then takes cleric levels. The domain (or domains) in question have touch attack abilities. Do the touch attacks provoke attacks of opportunity, or, since the claw attack is a part of the creature, does it effectively have Improved Unarmed Strike?

Also, and I think the answer may be "no," does the touch attack ability and the claw attack stack/can be rolled at the same time/whatever?
Roaring Berserkery Bunny of the North End™

A Tucsonite is like a Christian in several important ways.  For one thing, they believe what they say about their god in the most literal, straightfaced way possible.  For another, they both know their god can hear them.  The difference between the two, however, is quite vast in terms of their relationship with their god; Christians believe in His benevolence, but Tucsonites KNOW of The City's spite and hate.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Sister Fracture on February 23, 2011, 09:41:08 PM
Okay, let's say a creature has a natural claw attack, and then takes cleric levels. The domain (or domains) in question have touch attack abilities. Do the touch attacks provoke attacks of opportunity, or, since the claw attack is a part of the creature, does it effectively have Improved Unarmed Strike?

Also, and I think the answer may be "no," does the touch attack ability and the claw attack stack/can be rolled at the same time/whatever?

I believe all creatures with natural weapons are considered to have improved unarmed strike and can attack without provoking an AOO. However, they would need to succeed in a concentration check to cast.... I think.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Sister Fracture

Quote from: Ratatosk on February 23, 2011, 09:42:37 PM

I believe all creatures with natural weapons are considered to have improved unarmed strike and can attack without provoking an AOO. However, they would need to succeed in a concentration check to cast.... I think.

Why a concentration check?

A Tucsonite is like a Christian in several important ways.  For one thing, they believe what they say about their god in the most literal, straightfaced way possible.  For another, they both know their god can hear them.  The difference between the two, however, is quite vast in terms of their relationship with their god; Christians believe in His benevolence, but Tucsonites KNOW of The City's spite and hate.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Sister Fracture on February 23, 2011, 09:46:36 PM

Because casting ALWAYS provokes an AOO.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 23, 2011, 09:52:25 PM

You can cast on the defensive to avoid the AOO ... but you still gotta make the concentration check.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Ratatosk on February 23, 2011, 09:59:00 PM

You can cast on the defensive to avoid the AOO ... but you still gotta make the concentration check.

Um, yeah, I was agreeing with you.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Sister Fracture

What about the bit about stacking?

Also, casting, moving up, then attacking would take care of the AOO.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 23, 2011, 10:01:19 PM
Quote from: Ratatosk on February 23, 2011, 09:59:00 PM

Um, yeah, I was agreeing with you.

Err I was agreeing too... just clarifying that you can cast without an AOO, by using defensive casting.

Quote from: Sister Fracture on February 23, 2011, 10:05:17 PM

Sure. The only way to cast and attack in the same turn that I can think of is the Havoc Mage Prestige class from the 3.5 Miniatures book. It's a five level PRC which has a special ability called Battlecast. Battlecast gives you the ability to cast and attack in the same round (2nd level spells at 1st, 4th level spells at 3rd and 8th level spells at 5th).

My current character is a Warmage/Fighter that is gonna go Havoc Mage if I live long enough ;-) (Cause True Strike and attack six rounds a day is pretty sweet at 7th level, while fighting on the defensive and using Combat Expertise to buff AC)

Sister Fracture

Well, I got a good look at the rules. Delivering a touch attack does not provoke AOO, whether or not you are proficient with unarmed strikes.

Sister Fracture

Quote from: Ratatosk on February 24, 2011, 12:21:59 AM
Quote from: Sister Fracture on February 23, 2011, 10:05:17 PM

Sure. The only way to cast and attack in the same turn that I can think of is the Havoc Mage Prestige class from the 3.5 Miniatures book. It's a five level PRC which has a special ability called Battlecast. Battlecast gives you the ability to cast and attack in the same round (2nd level spells at 1st, 4th level spells at 3rd and 8th level spells at 5th).

My current character is a Warmage/Fighter that is gonna go Havoc Mage if I live long enough ;-) (Cause True Strike and attack six rounds a day is pretty sweet at 7th level, while fighting on the defensive and using Combat Expertise to buff AC)

In Pathfinder, which is what I'm running, the only class that allows you to cast and attack with a weapon in the same round is the Magus. It's a fighter/wizard base class, only learn up to level 6 spells, and only a select few, and you learn them like a wizard does, preparing them at daybreak out of a spellbook.

Various special abilities include spellcasting while wearing armor proficiency (though only with the Mag7us spell list, so if you took Wiz or Sorc, you would still have the spell failure chance), channeling spells through your sword, dual wielding a sword/wand, or even two wands at once. :banana:

Requia ☣

Pretty sure touch attacks don't provoke AoOs, but that casting the spell for the touch attack does, so claws don't effect anything.

I didn't look it up though, so its up to you if you want to trust my memory.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Don Coyote

Touch attacks are considered 'armed' unarmed attacks and thus do not provoke an AoO just like monsters with natural weapons and characters with Improved Unarmed. This also means that if a spell caster has a touch spell readied that he can deliver a touch attack as an AoO. :lulz:

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Sister Fracture on February 24, 2011, 12:30:15 AM
Well, I got a good look at the rules. Delivering a touch attack does not provoke AOO, whether or not you are proficient with unarmed strikes.

You are correct, apparently in pathfinder:

"Touch Spells in Combat: Many spells have a range of touch. To use these spells, you cast the spell and then touch the subject. In the same round that you cast the spell, you may also touch (or attempt to touch) as a free action. You may take your move before casting the spell, after touching the target, or between casting the spell and touching the target. You can automatically touch one friend or use the spell on yourself, but to touch an opponent, you must succeed on an attack roll.

Touch Attacks: Touching an opponent with a touch spell is considered to be an armed attack and therefore does not provoke attacks of opportunity. The act of casting a spell, however, does provoke an attack of opportunity. Touch attacks come in two types: melee touch attacks and ranged touch attacks. You can score critical hits with either type of attack as long as the spell deals damage. Your opponent's AC against a touch attack does not include any armor bonus, shield bonus, or natural armor bonus. His size modifier, Dexterity modifier, and deflection bonus (if any) all apply normally.

Holding the Charge: If you don't discharge the spell in the round when you cast the spell, you can hold the charge indefinitely. You can continue to make touch attacks round after round. If you touch anything or anyone while holding a charge, even unintentionally, the spell discharges. If you cast another spell, the touch spell dissipates. You can touch one friend as a standard action or up to six friends as a full-round action. Alternatively, you may make a normal unarmed attack (or an attack with a natural weapon) while holding a charge. In this case, you aren't considered armed and you provoke attacks of opportunity as normal for the attack. If your unarmed attack or natural weapon attack normally doesn't provoke attacks of opportunity, neither does this attack. If the attack hits, you deal normal damage for your unarmed attack or natural weapon and the spell discharges. If the attack misses, you are still holding the charge."

Thats pretty damn cool.

Sister Fracture

Sister Fracture

Quote from: Ratatosk on February 24, 2011, 06:49:46 PM

Holding the Charge: If you don't discharge the spell in the round when you cast the spell, you can hold the charge indefinitely. You can continue to make touch attacks round after round. If you touch anything or anyone while holding a charge, even unintentionally, the spell discharges. If you cast another spell, the touch spell dissipates. You can touch one friend as a standard action or up to six friends as a full-round action. Alternatively, you may make a normal unarmed attack (or an attack with a natural weapon) while holding a charge. In this case, you aren't considered armed and you provoke attacks of opportunity as normal for the attack. If your unarmed attack or natural weapon attack normally doesn't provoke attacks of opportunity, neither does this attack. If the attack hits, you deal normal damage for your unarmed attack or natural weapon and the spell discharges. If the attack misses, you are still holding the charge."

:spittake:

Missed this when I was going over that rule.