News:

Hand drawn by monkeys in sweat-shop conditions.

Main Menu

I'm eventually going to have to leave Boston forever.

Started by Nephew Twiddleton, July 14, 2014, 07:20:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Suu on July 14, 2014, 06:22:03 PM
Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on July 14, 2014, 05:14:46 PM
Quote from: The Suu on July 14, 2014, 02:55:00 PM
Quote from: Ållnephew Tvýðleþøn on July 14, 2014, 02:36:56 PM
So, some reasons she's given thus far are she hates the snow, and shoveling, she hates relying on public transportation to get to work, she hates the cost of living, the people here are rude and unfriendly, the weather in general.

Tampa.

I'm not fucking joking, I'm not saying this is a biased manner because it's where I grew up, but you WILL find work there, and it doesn't snow. Did you see my post?

I don't think the kind of biology in Tampa is the kind of biology Twid is planning on doing.

He was looking for ideas, and I gave him one, that's it.

Right, it's just that botanical gardens, zoos, and aquariums are a completely different field. Botany and zoology both fall under the general heading of "biology" as well, but are a very different skill set.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Ben Shapiro

Houston, Texas preferably in the North Side.

Cities outside of North Houston.
Cypress (very diverse Blue Collar),Tomball (Blue Collar), Spring (Blue Collar country/rock crowd), or The Woodlands (posh/rich suburban area). If she's serious about living in a less noisey place than you guys should check out Conroe.

Cities outside of West Houston.
Katy (Snowbirds live here)

These are the cities, or parts I feel you might feel at ease, and won't stick out as much, or less likely to feel jaded.

Why Houston? It's everything your GF wants, and also it's home to some of the best cancer centers in the world here downtown great for you guys with Science majors.

4th largest city demands you to drive 24/7. Our public transit is a joke.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Triggered word /b/ear on July 30, 2014, 05:54:20 AM
Houston, Texas preferably in the North Side.

Cities outside of North Houston.
Cypress (very diverse Blue Collar),Tomball (Blue Collar), Spring (Blue Collar country/rock crowd), or The Woodlands (posh/rich suburban area). If she's serious about living in a less noisey place than you guys should check out Conroe.

Cities outside of West Houston.
Katy (Snowbirds live here)

These are the cities, or parts I feel you might feel at ease, and won't stick out as much, or less likely to feel jaded.

Why Houston? It's everything your GF wants, and also it's home to some of the best cancer centers in the world here downtown great for you guys with Science majors.

4th largest city demands you to drive 24/7. Our public transit is a joke.

The problem with Texas is with me. Not because it's Texas, but that Texas is far away from both Boston and Ireland. Also, I really hate heat. I don't think I could do it.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Ben Shapiro

Nephew Twiddleton

So, over the past couple of days I became ok with the prospect. And today I was excited about it because I now have the opportunity to apply for a NASA job or something (at Goddard, for example). I told Villager about it and she was like or we could stay in Massachusetts. Just not Boston. I thought my head was going to explode. I'm just going to leave it alone for a bit.  :lulz:

Ben Shapiro

Eater of Clowns

MOVE TO NEW BEDFORD

EVERYONE IS REALLY HAPPY AND BEAUTIFUL

Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Aucoq

Quote from: Ållnephew Tvýðleþøn on July 31, 2014, 11:39:05 PM
So, over the past couple of days I became ok with the prospect. And today I was excited about it because I now have the opportunity to apply for a NASA job or something (at Goddard, for example). I told Villager about it and she was like or we could stay in Massachusetts. Just not Boston. I thought my head was going to explode. I'm just going to leave it alone for a bit.  :lulz:

:lulz:
"All of the world's leading theologists agree only on the notion that God hates no-fault insurance."

Horrid and Sticky Llama Wrangler of Last Week's Forbidden Desire.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Triggered word /b/ear on August 01, 2014, 12:47:08 AM
DERP forgot about NASA!!

HAHAHAHHAAHA. Poor Twid.

I did too. I had been looking into it because Northeastern has a lab run jointly with NASA, but it's engineering projects, so I was like, meh, no NASA job for me then. I mean, that would be the tits. Working for NASA I'd be like, I'll research whatever the hell biology you want me to.

I was like, GODFUCKINGDAMMITWOMAN.

Then she was like, "but if we stay in MA and you're an academic, you'd probably have to work in Boston anyway."

I was willing to commute to Boston from Rhode Island or New Hampshire. But living expenses she said. Shitty weather she said.

:walken:

Quote from: Aucoq on August 01, 2014, 03:12:44 AM
Quote from: Ållnephew Tvýðleþøn on July 31, 2014, 11:39:05 PM

:lulz:

I want to know what thing clicked in her head to make her go, "meh, the Bay State's not so bad afterall, just fuck the capital and its bordering cities"

Was it going to Chicago? Was it my willingness to do something that I really really didn't want to do that she was like, eh... I should compromise a bit here....

I have no clue. None.

Nephew Twiddleton

LMNO

May I make a suggestion?  It may be difficult, but I'd be really interested in seeing what happens if Villager takes a month or two to actually live in a place other than Boston, seeing how she hates this city, but has never lived anywhere else.  Especially because she hates Boston for completely ephemeral reasons (the most specific being "I fucking hate it here").

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on August 04, 2014, 01:35:56 PM
May I make a suggestion?  It may be difficult, but I'd be really interested in seeing what happens if Villager takes a month or two to actually live in a place other than Boston, seeing how she hates this city, but has never lived anywhere else.  Especially because she hates Boston for completely ephemeral reasons (the most specific being "I fucking hate it here").

She may end up living in other parts of MA sooner than later anyway depending on how her roommate situation works out over the next year.

As it is, I basically see her on the weekends anyway, so as long as that's not interfered with, I'm cool with it. If it were a completely different place, she'd obviously have to have employment ready and an exit strategy. That would suck, but I'd see if we could work it so that we at least saw each other every other weekend.

Nephew Twiddleton

But that was a thought that crossed my mind, too. I used to spend about two months in Ireland at a time when I was younger and I had no idea how people tolerated it. The answer is having a car, obviously, but dad's town is still about a 2-3 hour drive to Galway City because there's no such thing as a straight road or flat ground there.

Nephew Twiddleton

Ok, so I double checked. That's the Bus Eireann routes. Direct driving is about an hour and a quarter, providing lack of sheep in the road. I've never driven a car over there.

Ben Shapiro