News:

Living proof that any damn fool can make things more complex

Main Menu

Just because your decision had a reason does not remove your responsibility.

Started by Reginald Ret, June 09, 2008, 12:29:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reginald Ret

How severe would the reason have to be to make the fact that you had a choice irrelevant?

Example: you're driving someone else's car and a milktruck is coming straight at you.
You decide to avoid the milktruck and drive straight into the river.
Result: Car ruined but you're still alive.

My opinion: its still your fault the car is ruined.

Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

BADGE OF HONOR

The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

Dysnomia

It's all fun and games, till someone gets herpes.

http://cdn.smosh.com/smosh-pit/122010/mow-the-lawn.gif

AFK

Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Reginald Ret

this serious thread was specifically created too prove that i hate you, now go away.

worse, i had an actual discussion....  :cry: i hate it when people still disagree with me when i stop talking. besides i dont have a car.

other example: your best friend has been depressed lately and wants to kill himself.
You decide to tape him to a chair and feed him antidepressants(hmmm chocolate) 'till he gests better.
Result: you mistreated your best friend but you kept him from making a mistake.

My opinion: You should apologize for the ducttape-incident.

PS. this opinion pissed off my niece... she had a suicide intervention thingy a few years ago.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

BADGE OF HONOR

The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Regret on June 09, 2008, 12:29:43 AM
How severe would the reason have to be to make the fact that you had a choice irrelevant?

Example: you're driving someone else's car and a milktruck is coming straight at you.
You decide to avoid the milktruck and drive straight into the river.
Result: Car ruined but you're still alive.

My opinion: its still your fault the car is ruined.

Why isn't it the fucking milk truck driver's fault?  He was driving right at me.

I call bullshit.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Regret on June 09, 2008, 01:21:00 AM
this serious thread was specifically created too prove that i hate you, now go away.

worse, i had an actual discussion....  :cry: i hate it when people still disagree with me when i stop talking. besides i dont have a car.

other example: your best friend has been depressed lately and wants to kill himself.
You decide to tape him to a chair and feed him antidepressants(hmmm chocolate) 'till he gests better.
Result: you mistreated your best friend but you kept him from making a mistake.

My opinion: You should apologize for the ducttape-incident.

PS. this opinion pissed off my niece... she had a suicide intervention thingy a few years ago.

Then, fine.  I'm not helping the fucking bastard.  Let him die.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Rabid Badger of God on June 09, 2008, 01:22:05 AM
So you're have a means/ends sort of deal.
that is one way this could go.
i'm (partly) trying to find out how(and if) people incorporate individual responsibility into their lives.

Its the milkman's fault that your choices were limited, but you are still the one who made the choice of not dying in a bloody milkshake.
You are still responsible for the consequences of your actions.

not that anyone remotely humane would actually hate you for that.

you wouldn't keep your best friend from commiting suicide because i would think you should apologize for doing something unethical while trying to save his life? hmmmm interesting...

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Regret on June 09, 2008, 01:34:50 AM

Its the milkman's fault that your choices were limited, but you are still the one who made the choice of not dying in a bloody milkshake.
You are still responsible for the consequences of your actions.

Horse shit.  I am not responsible for the bad actions (or bad driving of others).

You preach the philosophy of a slave.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Regret on June 09, 2008, 01:34:50 AM

you wouldn't keep your best friend from commiting suicide because i would think you should apologize for doing something unethical while trying to save his life? hmmmm interesting...

Well, if it's unethical, then I'm not going to do it.  Fuck it.  Let the little snot die.

Reginald Ret

of course you're not! the only thing you are responsible for is how you act and react.

Wouldn't a slave's philosophy be 'i only did it because i had to'?
that is what you are saying: 'the milkman's actions dictated my own' or 'i had no choice, the milkman made me do it'
the slave is responsible for everything he does or doesn't (like get a fucking knife and use it!)

it's unethical to not save, the action needed to save is also unethical, choose wich you find more important, do it and don't lie to yourself about what you did.
followed by the most important step: get over it, you made your choice.

Fredfredly ⊂(◉‿◉)つ

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Regret on June 09, 2008, 01:56:18 AM
of course you're not! the only thing you are responsible for is how you act and react.

So a rape victim is responsible for catching the rapist's eye?

No.  A slave's philosophy is "It's my fault, no matter what".

that is what you are saying: 'the milkman's actions dictated my own' or 'i had no choice, the milkman made me do it'

When the milk man aims a 2 ton truck at you, what are your fucking options, and who is fucking responsible for the situation?

it's unethical to not save, the action needed to save is also unethical, choose wich you find more important,

If there's no ethical solution, then I'm looking next to liability.  Fuck him.

That's a great world you envision, there.

Reginald Ret

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on June 09, 2008, 02:03:18 AM

So a rape victim is responsible for catching the rapist's eye?
yes, and the rapist is responsible for acting on his eye being caught.
and the victim is responsible for his or her level of resistance.
and the rapist is responsible for not killing himself.

No.  A slave's philosophy is "It's my fault, no matter what".
I prefer a philosophy like "Its my fault, so what? i had a choice and i made it."

When the milk man aims a 2 ton truck at you, what are your fucking options, and who is fucking responsible for the situation?
your options are avoid or die. the milkman is responsible for the situation and you are responsible for the effects of choosing to live.
it's unethical to not save, the action needed to save is also unethical, choose wich you find more important,

If there's no ethical solution, then I'm looking next to liability.  Fuck him.

That's a great world you envision, there.
there is no absolute ethical solution but there is a most ethical solution, assuming you have some form of honour ofcourse.
oh and don't you ever dare us me as an ethical guide TEFY, S!