News:

MysticWicks endorsement: "I've always, always regarded the Discordians as being people who chose to be Discordians because they can't be arsed to actually do any work to develop a relationship with a specific deity, they were too wishy-washy to choose just one path, and they just want to be a mishmash of everything and not have to work at learning about rituals or traditions or any such thing as that."

Main Menu

PD Recipe Thread

Started by East Coast Hustle, August 31, 2010, 05:03:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sister Fracture

Fracture's Goulash Type Thing.

3 lbs meat (ground beef, ground turkey, whatever as long as it is ground)
3 cans condensed cream of chicken soup
1 1/2 cans milk
1 cup rice
2 cups water
lemon juice
spices

Spice and brown your meat. Drain. Add cream of chicken and milk, stir well, don't let it scald. Put water on to boil with lemon juice in it, quite a bit, like two tablespoons or so. Prepare the rice, it's best as sticky rice. Consume.
Roaring Berserkery Bunny of the North End™

A Tucsonite is like a Christian in several important ways.  For one thing, they believe what they say about their god in the most literal, straightfaced way possible.  For another, they both know their god can hear them.  The difference between the two, however, is quite vast in terms of their relationship with their god; Christians believe in His benevolence, but Tucsonites KNOW of The City's spite and hate.

Kai

Quick Pho: boil a package of ramen noodles. Chop some green onion and cilantro. Dish out noodles into bowl. Add onions and cilantro and a small amount vegetable boullion. Pour over some hot noodle water. Add a little sesame oil, soy sauce, and a bunch of cayenne pepper. Takes five minutes.

Hustle says that it needs some sort of warm spice as well, like anise, allspice or coriander.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Jenne

Skillet Frittata

We have a 12" iron skillet, so I used this one to make the egg dish.  I took about 10 eggs, about 1 1/2 c of milk (heavy cream would work better, I'd bet) and dumped in about 1/3 c of roasted poblano salsa that someone'd made us and was leftover.  Whip all these wet ingredients together while you heat up 2 tsp of oil in iron skillet (I used garlic olive oil).  Add salt n pepper to mixture--couple of dashes of each--then put whipped egg mixture (should be fluffier than when you started, maybe 1/4 again in volume) into skillet. 

Add basically whatever you like to this, but I added about 5 leaves of sliced basil leaves, one large roughly-chopped tomato, about 7 slices of deli ham (very thinly sliced), and 3 finely chopped very small avocadoes.  I also added shredded cheese (mixture of 3--colby, jack and cheddar) to the top.  You let the eggs simmer and bubble for about 5 minutes, then put the whole thing in the oven at 350'F for about 15-20 minutes or until you shake it and it jiggles as ONE entity, lol.

Was soooo friggin' yum.

Sepia

My drunken carbonara:

Seeing as 000 had his version I thought I'd post the ingredients and technique I apply when I'm far from sober because some times I get cravings for this(only when animated) and just go home and make it.

1 pack bacon
Eggs (2/3 yolks for yourself or 1/2 whole is usually what I go for)
Three fists of tagliatelle
Finishing salt
Freshly ground pepper
A drop or two of white wine vinegar

Optional:
Parmesan (other cheeses really don't work too well and ersatz products can go fuck themselves)

Prepare bacon the way you like it, since this is a pasta dish I usually cut it into .5 - 1 cm square thingies and I find bigger than that too much. Oven is the easiest, especially with a silipat, remember to keep the fat. While this is happening you're boiling water and salt the fuck out of it, atleast if you're out of parmesan. Use a big pot with lots of water and dump it in when it starts boiling and reduce the heat to a boiling point. I usually stir but that's because of me using dried pasta so I dunno. Crack the eggs and separate or not and slightly whisk with a spoon. At this point I mix the bacon fat, a few drops of vinegar with the eggs and stir it a little bit more. Strain, dump the pasta in the pot you boiled it in, toss the eggmix into it, add pepper and salt, stir, put on a lid or whatever, stir, lid and usually done.

Go get drunk and make food.
Everyone will always be too late

Triple Zero

vinegar in carbonara. Will have to try that. No cream? Would just curdle with the vinegar I suppose.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Sepia

Acid works quite wonderfully in controlling the coagulation of eggs and speaking of eggs:

Sabayon, Zabaglione, I learned it from a frenchie so it's sabayon for me. You need:

6 egg yolks (dont make it with supermarket brand eggs unless they add some colouring to them because it looks like vomit if you make it with them and you shouldn't really buy those eggs anyhow because they will fucking kill you)
1/2 Lemon (2/3ish of a salted if you have one, it makes it more nuanced but take whatever you have)
about 150g sugar
Seeds of half a vanilla pod
A good splash of some dry (brut) sparkling, leftover champagne, a cremant or what have you but remember that the sensation you feel will halfways carry over to the sabayon. The alcohol won't be cooked out and while the fat smoothes it out, if you get the cheapest of cavas, it will taste cheap and nothing else in this recipe costs much and you'll be able to drink most of the sparkling yourself and you've earned some nice bubbles, ok?

Optional:
Zest of Orange Lime Lemon Caramelized white chocolate
Coffee beans
Tonka beans

Those are tried and tested, tonka and coffee beans don't really work if you're doing it the smart way with a kenwood, kitchenaid or whatever.

Add all ingredients to a bowl or what have you with a thick base, put bowl over bain marie and whip. If you're doing it manually you might be looking at closer to 45 minutes, which was where I was at when I started doing it. If you're whipping by hand, just whip the fuck out of it and when you think you're done to do it for ten more minutes before you take it out of the bowl and whip it hard and fast until cold. With a machine, just stir it to let it heat evenly, transfer to whipper, whip till you can touch the base without retracting your finger in pain (on highest speed possible), transfer back to bain marie, repeat.

You shouldn't exceed 80 CELSIUS most of the time, 84 pasteurizes the eggs if you have it there for a minute, which is nice if you intend to keep it for another day (the tiramisus we've made at work with this has to be eaten within 1-2 days before they start collapsing and bleeding, still fucking good but not sexy)

Eat it as is or with something else, it being a sauce you can make with almost any flavour it works with everything. This is the hollandaise of the sweet world.
Everyone will always be too late

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Quote from: East Coast Hustle on August 31, 2010, 05:03:01 AM
recipes ONLY please.

Do cocktail recipes count?

Mix one part MD 20/20 Orange Jubilee Wine, and one part Pineapple juice. Stir and enjoy.
Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on September 07, 2012, 11:07:08 PM
Quote from: East Coast Hustle on August 31, 2010, 05:03:01 AM
recipes ONLY please.

Do cocktail recipes count?

Mix one part MD 20/20 Orange Jubilee Wine, and one part Pineapple juice. Stir and enjoy.

Go away.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Rococo Modem Basilisk

Enki's weird spicy cinnimon-bacon mac&cheese

Ingredients:
* two tablespoons of butter
* two tablespoons of flour
* two cups of milk
* three or four cups of elbow macaroni
* a tablespoon of coarse-ground black pepper
* a tablespoon of fine-ground black pepper
* a tablespoon of garlic powder
* a tablespoon of fine-ground cinnimon
* a tablespoon of fine-ground nutmeg
* a tablespoon of minced dried onion (you can get bottles of this stuff)
* three strips of bacon
* about 1.5 of these things of extra-sharp cheddar cheese:

Chop the cheese into one-inch cubes. Cook the bacon, and break into small chunks.

Melt the butter in a large saucepan. When melted, add in the flour and mix well. Let this mixture cook for about two minutes, then whisk in the milk. The longer you take to whisk in the milk, the thicker the sauce will be (and if you are patient you can get something that looks like peanut butter after the milk is all whisked in). Stir until thick, then add the cinnamon, pepper, nutmeg, garlic powder, onions, and bacon. Add the cheese, and stir until melted and well-mixed. Add the cooked macaroni, and serve.

Makes a shitload of servings, and re-heats well in the microwave

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Quote from: Phosphatidylserine on December 18, 2012, 07:19:37 PM
Enki's weird spicy cinnimon-bacon mac&cheese

Ingredients:
* two tablespoons of butter
* two tablespoons of flour
* two cups of milk
* three or four cups of elbow macaroni
* a tablespoon of coarse-ground black pepper
* a tablespoon of fine-ground black pepper
* a tablespoon of garlic powder
* a tablespoon of fine-ground cinnimon
* a tablespoon of fine-ground nutmeg
* a tablespoon of minced dried onion (you can get bottles of this stuff)
* three strips of bacon
* about 1.5 of these things of extra-sharp cheddar cheese:

Chop the cheese into one-inch cubes. Cook the bacon, and break into small chunks.

Melt the butter in a large saucepan. When melted, add in the flour and mix well. Let this mixture cook for about two minutes, then whisk in the milk. The longer you take to whisk in the milk, the thicker the sauce will be (and if you are patient you can get something that looks like peanut butter after the milk is all whisked in). Stir until thick, then add the cinnamon, pepper, nutmeg, garlic powder, onions, and bacon. Add the cheese, and stir until melted and well-mixed. Add the cooked macaroni, and serve.

Makes a shitload of servings, and re-heats well in the microwave

Put down the cinnamon and nutmeg and back away from the mac and cheese.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Rococo Modem Basilisk

The answer to the question "does it need more cinnamon" is always "yes".

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

Karapac

I'm not much of a cook, but pancakes are easy and fun - especially with altered recipes. These savory beer-based ones will rock your world. Choose a good, flavorful beer, maybe something dark like a guinness. Ginger-flavored beer worked amazingly as well. Adding a pinch of herbs like parsley or oregano to the dry mix is good too.

2 cups all purpose flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
1 1/2 to 1 3/4 cups beer

Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs and 1 1/2 cups of beer. Add to flour mixture, stirring only until smooth. If the batter seems too thick, add a little more beer. Fry like standard pancakes. A good time to flip them over is when rising bubbles start popping tiny holes in the middle. While waiting drink the rest of the beer.  :)

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Hmmm, savory pancakes. Those sound good, maybe with some minced green onion and sour cream.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

3 Layer Nacho Dip

You'll need: Cream cheese, canned chili, monteray jack and/or cheddar cheese, a casserole dish and a microwave

1.) Spread 2 packages of cream cheese evenly across the bottom of a casserole dish
2.) spread two cans of chili evenly above the cream cheese
3.) Sprinkle with grated monteray jack and/or cheddar cheese until covered
4.) Microwave for 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted

Serve with tortilla chips
Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago

Rococo Modem Basilisk