News:

Also, i dont think discordia attracts any more sociopaths than say, atheism or satanism.

Main Menu

Are Hotdog Buns Still Forbidden?

Started by Hollis Increase, April 08, 2012, 10:48:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hollis Increase

Traditionally, keeping Discordian meant observing the dietary commandments of The Principia Discordia.  Specifically no hotdog buns.  Is this dietary rule still practised?
Ser Piggy could only find work as a Mortuary Transport Driver.  His appearance was far too disgusting for the living.

Don Coyote

Quote from: Hollis Increase on April 08, 2012, 10:48:05 PM
Traditionally, keeping Discordian meant observing the dietary commandments of The Principia Discordia.  Specifically no hotdog buns.  Is this dietary rule still practised?

Did you miss the part where a Discordian is forbidden to believe everything he reads?

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Guru Coyote on April 08, 2012, 10:52:14 PM

Did you miss the part where a Discordian is forbidden to believe everything he reads?

Trust this man. He is your Spiritual Advisor.

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

navkat

I'm not exactly what one would call an orthodoxed Discordian. You can't eat a delishus bacon-wrapped Crif Dog without a bun and I feel it's much more important to partake of a couple those with reckless abandon.

Hollis Increase

No. . . but I didn't believe that part.
Ser Piggy could only find work as a Mortuary Transport Driver.  His appearance was far too disgusting for the living.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: Hollis Increase on April 09, 2012, 03:48:21 AM

:lol:
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Don Coyote

Quote from: Hollis Increase on April 09, 2012, 03:48:21 AM

:crankey:

Freeky

Why would you even take that seriously?  Jesus fuck. :x

navkat

Ha ha. If y'all belived what Holis just wrote, you got troll'd.

AFK

I practice this religiously.  Though, as it turns out, hotdog buns become vastly unnecessary when one has chosen to not consume hot dogs.  Granted hotdog buns do make great vessels for a great many foods....
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Eater of Clowns

Principia scholars suggest that the ban from hot dog buns arises not out of scorn for dietary restrictions of other religions but true distaste for the state of hot dog consumption in society on the part of Mal2.  An ongoing debate surrounds that line, one of the many contradictory and vague Discordian tenets.  It is theorized that one side notes a lack of creativity in the time the work was written when it comes to hot dogs as a food, their dressing limited to classic mustard, relish, and ketchup.  The hot dog bun is generally an enriched white flour good that adds little flavor or creative capability to the act of eating a hot dog.  Mal2 was far ahead of his time in noting that a sturdier bun, such as that used to contain sub sandwiches, or even grinders or hoagies, allowed for greater addition of toppings for the classic hot dog.

Some go so far as to believe Mal2 was actually an adherent to the revolutionary hot dog movement of his time, a rather unknown collective made up of hot dog enthusiasts ranging from the most well known chefs to street corner vendors looking for the next step.  Julia Child was also believed to be a part of this.  If that's the case, it's actually amazing the impact that he had on the world of hot dogs.  While the classic hot dog is still our cultural archetype for the food, many a specialty store are serving them on sturdier buns with toppings unfathomable in his day.  I've even read of places which split the dog in half and then grill the inside, which is mind boggling even for my modern standards of hot dogs.

Still, a fervent debate rages over whether or not Mal2 was indeed making a commentary on the state of food in the nation, a timely remark well before such thinking became prevalent and necessary for our continued survival.  Historically flour was eaten by peasants and common people in its whole grain form, healthier but less decadent than the white flour we see so often today.  White flour was expensive and only affordable by nobility and royalty.  With the advent of new techniques white flour became the standard in bread making, thus robbing many a people of the nutrition found in its whole wheat counterpart.  "Enriching" white flour with vitamins to make it healthier has done little to mimic the benefits of naturally occurring wheat flour nutrients.  Mal2, being the prescient mind he was, saw this as the conspiracy of depriving the masses of much vitamins for healthy minds on the part of those in power seeking to more easily manipulate them.  Rather than complicate his statement with the proclamation to not eat any white flour based products or to consume only whole wheat, he decided in his wisdom to disavow only a part, to offer only a hint of what more lie beneath the surface - much like the Principia Discordia itself.

Yet others think it's total bullshit.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

LMNO

Eater of Clowns

Hah, that was a copiedpasta from way back in what ended up being some dude's Unlimited thread.  I had to dig through a few pages of Principia Discussion to find it again.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

minuspace

Quote from: What's-His-Name? on April 09, 2012, 01:07:03 PM
...  Granted hotdog buns do make great vessels for a great many foods....
Practice this and the way in you will be.  :fnord: