News:

That line from the father's song in Mary Poppins, where he's going on about how nothing can go wrong, in Britain in 1910.  That's about the point I realized the boy was gonna die in a trench.

Main Menu

Tuna Carpaccio

Started by East Coast Hustle, March 05, 2014, 04:18:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

East Coast Hustle

Don't bother if you're one of those wussies that won't eat raw fish. Go back to Applebees.

This is good for cocktail parties and other small gatherings, so this recipe should make tapas/hors d'ouevres for 6 or a fairly substantial appetizer for 4.

12 oz. fresh tuna, yellowfin or better. Loins are preferable to steaks as they are easier to trim down into the uniform 1/4 inch die that you are going to achieve with a VERY sharp knife.

Dressing:

put the ingredients in a large bowl in the order that follows

2 oz. EVOO
pinch kosher or sea salt
pinch black pepper
pinch ground coriander
1/2 oz. fresh tarragon, finely minced
1/2 oz. fresh basil, fine chiffonade
1 small green onion or one stalk large green onion, finely minced
mix ingredients together well, add
1 oz. cane vinegar
large pinch brown sugar or heaping tablespoon honey, your choice
1 oz. Huy Fong brand Chili Garlic sauce.

mix together well, toss tuna thoroughly in mixture until well coated. Allow to sit at room temperature (good sashimi is properly served at room temperature and if you have decent fish you'll have nothing to worry about especially after you've tossed the fish in what is essentially a vinaigrette) for 10-12 minutes and use that time to butter both sides of 6 large or 12 small rounds of french bread and pan-fry in a skillet until lightly browned and slightly crispy on both sides. If you did 6 large rounds, cut them in half with a sharp knife. Take the tuna out of the bowl you tossed it in and put it in your fanciest small serving bowl. The idea is to keep as much of the fresh herbs in there as possible but let the excess oil and liquid drain off so the tuna is lightly coated but not saturated. Put the bowl in the middle of a serving platter and arrange the warm bread rounds around it in a circle, if you wanna make it look all pretty. Maybe even garnish it with some shaved reggiano or grana padano or something like that, or some gremolata.

If serving as tapas, arrange 1 oz. Tuna on each piece of pan-grilled bread with appropriate garnish.

For those on a low-carb or gluten-free diet, instead of the bread rounds you can substitute either some good tomatoes, halved and lightly broiled or, if you want to keep it entirely raw as well you can use thick-cut large slices of cucumber, sliced on the bias to give a larger surface area. The rest of the recipe is gluten free.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

That sounds spectacularly delicious!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LMNO

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

Holy crap, my mouth is watering.
Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIR™
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

East Coast Hustle

I would have posted pictures of the finished dish but between ECHGF and I it didn't last long enough. :lol:

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Suu

I'm assuming the vinaigrette essentially helps preserve the fish for the duration it which it's on the plate, correct?

Either way...OMG WANT.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Sir Squid Diddimus

Sounds friggin awesome.
Do you prefer your cucumbers peeled, or no?
Or that fancy thing with the stripes of peel...

East Coast Hustle

I do the fancy stripe thing if the cuke is organic or I grew it myself. Otherwise I'm not too keen on eating the stuff that's on the skin.

Sir Squid Diddimus

Ben Shapiro

Doing this for my wife on my birthday.