News:

Attempting to do something

Main Menu

So you've had meatloaf...

Started by Raz Tech, September 04, 2014, 11:45:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raz Tech

But have you ever had...  MEAT MUFFINS?

I didn't realize how gross this looked until i took this picture.

Fortunately it looks slightly less disgusting on a plate.

As an aside, I always thought that meatloaf was, like, the pinnacle of American food.  It is, after all, just a bunch of beef shoved together with some ketchup on top and some chopped veggies if you're feeling adventurous.

As it turns out, meatloaf wasn't really around America much until the 19th century, and other countries do it better than American meatloaf.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

What are some differences between American meatloaf and other countries' meatloaf?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Raz Tech

Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on September 05, 2014, 12:40:39 AM
What are some differences between American meatloaf and other countries' meatloaf?

Maybe I'm a little biased because I've always found meatloaf to be kind of plain, but a lot ofother countries stuff their meatloaf with boiled eggs or weinerwurst or other such things.  It's also wrapped in ham and cheese in some places.  It kind of changes from country to country what the meatloaf standard is.

Q. G. Pennyworth

I am a big fan of tiny meatloaf options! Here's some I made a while back:

Raz Tech

Wow that looks a lot better than my muffins  :lulz:.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Raz Tech on September 05, 2014, 01:01:39 AM

Maybe I'm a little biased because I've always found meatloaf to be kind of plain, but a lot ofother countries stuff their meatloaf with boiled eggs or weinerwurst or other such things.  It's also wrapped in ham and cheese in some places.  It kind of changes from country to country what the meatloaf standard is.

Are you sure you aren't just comparing your mother's meatloaf to meatloaf you've had other places? The boiled egg thing sounds disgusting (so does weinerwurst, for that matter) but I've seen it wrapped in bacon and ham. No cheese though... I'm not really sure how you would bake it with cheese around it. I've seen recipes with shredded cheese IN the meatloaf, though, as well as various other things.

Raz Tech

Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on September 05, 2014, 01:15:51 AM

Are you sure you aren't just comparing your mother's meatloaf to meatloaf you've had other places? The boiled egg thing sounds disgusting (so does weinerwurst, for that matter) but I've seen it wrapped in bacon and ham. No cheese though... I'm not really sure how you would bake it with cheese around it. I've seen recipes with shredded cheese IN the meatloaf, though, as well as various other things.

Every meatloaf I've ever had in America is the beef +spices+onions+ketchup kind.  However, I don't really like that, so i don't meatloaf very often.

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: Raz Tech on September 05, 2014, 01:13:43 AM

Ground turkey, spices, egg, and breadcrumbs. You mash some of the meat into the little plastic cup, stuff it with whatever, then seal it up with more meat and flip it on the tray. Bakes in about 30 min.

Possible fillers include: various cheeses, cooked onions, peppers, garlic, spinach, bacon...

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on September 05, 2014, 01:36:56 AM
Quote from: Raz Tech on September 05, 2014, 01:13:43 AM

Ground turkey, spices, egg, and breadcrumbs. You mash some of the meat into the little plastic cup, stuff it with whatever, then seal it up with more meat and flip it on the tray. Bakes in about 30 min.

Possible fillers include: various cheeses, cooked onions, peppers, garlic, spinach, bacon...

That sounds damn fine. Damn, damn fine.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Raz Tech on September 05, 2014, 01:28:08 AM
Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on September 05, 2014, 01:15:51 AM

Every meatloaf I've ever had in America is the beef +spices+onions+ketchup kind.  However, I don't really like that, so i don't meatloaf very often.

That sounds nasty. I think that quite possibly part of the problem is that a lot of people who make meatloaf are shitty cooks.

Good meatloaf is delectable. My main recipe contains beef, pork, lamb, bread crumbs, egg, oatmeal, sauteed onions, mushrooms, garlic, and celery, red bell peppers, crushed tomatoes, salt and pepper, various herbs, and is topped with a homemade tomato glaze. Variations on this recipe  mutate as desired.

I mean, if your basic recipe is good, any embellishments are just accessories. If your basic recipe is bad, nothing you stuff it with is going to save it.

Q. G. Pennyworth

I think the key mistake a lot of people make is just taking a lump of ground beef and mashing it into a loaf pan. Breadcrumbs or some kind of flour are mandatory.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on September 05, 2014, 04:30:27 AM
I think the key mistake a lot of people make is just taking a lump of ground beef and mashing it into a loaf pan. Breadcrumbs or some kind of flour are mandatory.

Yeah, baked ground beef and ketchup do not a meatloaf make. Ick.

hooplala

It's sodium Valhalla, but I use Stove Top stuffing in mine. It's fucking good. Also, I use HP sauce to top it, not ketchup.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Junkenstein

You people never get to raise eyebrows at the food over here ever again.

Meat muffins: brought to you direct from Dahmer's Kitchen.

I kinda want one.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.