News:

Please take a stand against our terrible values

Main Menu

Suggestions welcome - cider

Started by LMNO, September 15, 2014, 03:28:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

So: House party. Someone brings over cider, and leaves it here. But it's not really cider, it's Angry Orchard cider with Elderflower, or some shit. Really sweet. Five bottles.

OK, maybe I can braise something? But fuck, I don't use cider. So, how would you mitigate the floral, apple-y sweetness into something worth eating?  Otherwise, I'll just dump it.

Q. G. Pennyworth

You give it to girls for drinking?

Me-type girls, perhaps?

LMNO

I'll leave it outside my door.  Yours if you want it.

Cain

Cider is an abomination.  Elderflower infused cider more than most. 

I don't think you can even make it into vinegar when it's in that state, so I say throw it out the airlock.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

That sounds awful.

I like a nice dry cider but most of the new ciders on the market right now are like alcoholic soda pop. You might as well drink this shit:

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Oh and I don't know about the elderflower but I might see how it was as a reduction sauce for ham. Throw the ham in the oven, pinch of cinnamon, dump a bottle or two of cider over it, serve when the liquids have reduced to a thin syrup consistency.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Suu

As far as Angry Orchard ones go, the Elderflower one is meh anyway. However commercial ciders are sulfited, so you couldn't get vinegar even if you tried.

Use it on pork with apples and onions.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on September 15, 2014, 03:28:50 AM
So: House party. Someone brings over cider, and leaves it here. But it's not really cider, it's Angry Orchard cider with Elderflower, or some shit. Really sweet. Five bottles.

OK, maybe I can braise something? But fuck, I don't use cider. So, how would you mitigate the floral, apple-y sweetness into something worth eating?  Otherwise, I'll just dump it.

Donate it to needy Rhode Islanders.  Those bastards will drink ANYTHING.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Suu

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 24, 2014, 10:47:41 PM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on September 15, 2014, 03:28:50 AM

Donate it to needy Rhode Islanders.  Those bastards will drink ANYTHING.

Drop it off on a random stoop in Providence. It will be taken care of.  :lulz:
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

If you still have it it's probably cold enough now to make applejack, provided that the preservatives don't screw with the water content freezing.
Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago