News:

PD.com: We'll make you an offer you can't understand.

Main Menu

DECLASSIFIED drink recipes by TWJ

Started by The Wizard Joseph, October 03, 2015, 04:39:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

As sunny days give way to autumn chill and rain, it's time to shelve the shandies and move to something a little more wintery; that old Pacific Northwest classic, milk beer, aka bilk.

This recipe works best with a Porter or a Stout but any rich smooth low-hop ale will work.

3/4 beer
1/4 milk or half-and-half
Pinch of ground cardamom

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Don Coyote

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on October 14, 2015, 12:50:58 AM
As sunny days give way to autumn chill and rain, it's time to shelve the shandies and move to something a little more wintery; that old Pacific Northwest classic, milk beer, aka bilk.

This recipe works best with a Porter or a Stout but any rich smooth low-hop ale will work.

3/4 beer
Pinch of ground cardamom

That sounds delicious.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Don Coyote on October 14, 2015, 01:53:16 AM

3/4 beer
Pinch of ground cardamom

That sounds delicious.

I must disagree. It might prove to in fact be delightful, but my brain is simply not willing to put the equation milk+beer=yum in with the "true" stuff.

That's not to say I won't try it, but skeptical wizard is skeptical.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Don Coyote

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on October 14, 2015, 03:53:26 AM

3/4 beer
Pinch of ground cardamom

That sounds delicious.

I must disagree. It might prove to in fact be delightful, but my brain is simply not willing to put the equation milk+beer=yum in with the "true" stuff.

I bet it's similar to putting milk in coffee.

Cainad (dec.)

3/4 beer

at first I was like  :?

but then you said

Pinch of ground cardamom

and then I was like :fap:

gonna try the heck out of this.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Don Coyote on October 14, 2015, 04:05:12 AM

3/4 beer
Pinch of ground cardamom

That sounds delicious.

I think I'm most hung up on the idea of carbonated milkstuffs. I also don't know what cardamom tastes like, just drawing a blank.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

LMNO

I haven't really been drinking a lot of dairy in the first place, so combining that with beer is fairly unsettling at the moment.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: LMNO on October 14, 2015, 04:50:29 AM
I haven't really been drinking a lot of dairy in the first place, so combining that with beer is fairly unsettling at the moment.

I'm cautious about cream in alcohol drinks generally. Too much acid or alcohol and it's curdle time either in the glass or while drinking it. I have only 1 drink recipe that I trust for it and it requires a very specific vodka. Here's my best recollection of it.

2oz Vincent Van Gogh triple espresso vodka
(it's the only "coffee" vodka I know of that is actually made of coffee)

3oz Irish Cream
(the cheaper stuff like Feeny's is usually great. Bailey's is overpriced and overrated)

Chocolate syrup to taste
Lindor Truffle of choice

The key here is in bringing down the vodka alcohol content some before adding the Irish cream.

In shaker glass filled with ice add room temperature vodka and chocolate syrup if desired. Cap and shake until your hands feel the cold. Add room temp cream and shake again for a few more seconds, but not much more as further dilution is undesirable, this is martini strength. Pour into martini glass and add a speared truffle or two like olives.

I have no name for this one, but the caffeine in the vodka, sugars and Irish in the cream, and the easy way they go down tends to get people very chatty very quickly. Good for holiday get-togethers and "soft" interrogation.

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

minuspace

Quote from: Don Coyote on October 14, 2015, 04:05:12 AM

3/4 beer
Pinch of ground cardamom

That sounds delicious.

Reminds me of Rivella:
Quote://Many Germans find it really odd, but it is very common in its homeland, and you can get it everywhere there. What's special about this drink is that it contains "lactoserum", which is a milk extract (that tastes nothing like milk) that leaves an interesting aftertaste. Aforementioned Chabeso contains the same substance.

Rivella and beer may work for me.  I dunno.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

3/4 beer
Pinch of ground cardamom

That sounds delicious.

It's surprisingly refreshing, and kind of oddly comforting at the same time. You wouldn't think it but its true. You have to use a fairly strong beer or the milk sort of washes out the flavor, though.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on October 14, 2015, 03:20:56 PM

3/4 beer
Pinch of ground cardamom

That sounds delicious.

It's surprisingly refreshing, and kind of oddly comforting at the same time. You wouldn't think it but its true. You have to use a fairly strong beer or the milk sort of washes out the flavor, though.
:lulz:
I can just see the face of the liquor store attendant when I ask for a recommendation on a low-hop ale that has a flavor strong enough to blend with milk and not be overpowered.

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on October 14, 2015, 05:22:07 PM

3/4 beer
Pinch of ground cardamom

That sounds delicious.

I can just see the face of the liquor store attendant when I ask for a recommendation on a low-hop ale that has a flavor strong enough to blend with milk and not be overpowered.

Don Coyote

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on October 16, 2015, 07:15:27 PM
Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on October 14, 2015, 05:22:07 PM

3/4 beer
Pinch of ground cardamom

That sounds delicious.

I did this with some leftover Genesee cream ale, 2% milk, two dashes of ground cardamon, and a dash of ground cinnamon. After each ingredient was added I had my wife taste it.

She has no idea if she likes it or hates it. She kept making this wonderfully angry perplexed face.

Nast

Beer + milk sounds just sounds so very Old World to me.

Like, Baltic sea region circa 1300. It's fascinating.
"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."

Dubya

Tried this with Mickey's and some cinnamon creamer. It was surprisingly good on the way down, but my stomach is still convinced that beer+milk=huurgh.

Oddly enough, it has no problem with vodka+milk, though.
"Gold Medalist of the 2015 David Cameron Memorial Barnyard Olympics."