News:

Endorsement:  I know that all of you fucking discordians are just a bunch of haters who seem to do anything you can to distance yourself from fucking anarchists which is just fine and dandy sit in your house on your computer and type inane shite all day until your fingers fall off.

Main Menu

For-profit Ohio Chapel forced to perform gay wedding.

Started by Bruno, October 20, 2014, 06:13:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruno

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/10/20/ordained-ministers-who-refuse-to-marry-gay-couples-in-their-chapel-are-fighting-back-after-reportedly-being-threatened-with-fines-and-jail-time/

So, apparently, since this place isn't a church, non-discrimnation laws apply. I'm thinking that they will still be able to retain the right to not make it a religious ceremony.

"Do you?" "I do."
"Do you?" "I do."
"By the power invested in me by the state of Ohio, you're married now. Cash or credit?"

I have mixed feelings about this one, but lean towards just leaving them alone, and letting the gay couple find someone who doesn't have a religious/moral issue with it.
Formerly something else...

Doktor Howl

If it's for profit and not religiously-based, then they have to worry about the same discrimination issues that any other business has to deal with. 

Otherwise, you could just as easily say, "Well, those Black folks would be better off going to a restaurant that doesn't have a problem with them."
Molon Lube

Bruno

That's true. Their religious freedom isn't really being infringed unless they are forced to perform a religious ceremony.
Formerly something else...

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Emo Howard on October 20, 2014, 07:21:49 PM
That's true. Their religious freedom isn't really being infringed unless they are forced to perform a religious ceremony.

Yep.  Likewise, a Justice of the Peace has to perform the ceremony.
Molon Lube