News:

Heaven is a sausage party.

Main Menu

I love our retarded media

Started by Cain, November 25, 2010, 02:55:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Juana

Except in California. They keep increasing it little by little, a few weeks apart. I think it's close to 25% now.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Gray Jester

Quote from: Subetai on November 26, 2010, 08:47:53 AM
From £3,300 a year to...well, it's not exactly clear as it hasn't been finalized yet, but it is believed Progressive Hero Nick Clegg, Deputy PM, Fighting The Power in his time off, got a concession of £9000 a year. 

For the moment.  This is just the tuition fee, it should be pointed out the cost of living is also rising in the UK, far more quickly than student loans are, and the method for assessing student loans is horrible, especially if your parents dont support you (like they didnt in my case).

In American Money:  That's an increase of $5152.62 to $14052.60 per year, not including room and board, which (assuming similar prices to what I'm paying here in the U.S. at Uni) would add something like $4k per year for food, and similar for board (for convenience, I'm going off of dining hall meal plans and the room and board I pay:  neither of these cover time over Christmas or the summer).  That's an increase from $13k/year to $22k/year.  That's essentially the difference between a mid-range college in the US and pushing past even the best public schools towards the cost of low end private schools.  It doesn't begin to scratch the costs of the top tier private schools (Yale, Cornell, MIT, etc. are est. $40-50k/year, including room/board), but definitely goes from "mostly affordable" to "FUUUUUUUUUUUU---".
I am a surrealist.  It makes me feel more knightly.

Cain

Yeah, it's not exactly wonderful. 

On the other hand, if Scotland, who sets their own prices apart from the National Parliament, can freeze or only slightly rise their prices, we may see a second Scottish Enlightenment.

Well, probably not.  But I'd like it, since I'm saving up to do my postgrad degree there.

Juana

Quote from: Gray Jester on November 26, 2010, 06:19:50 PM
In American Money:  That's an increase of $5152.62 to $14052.60 per year, not including room and board, which (assuming similar prices to what I'm paying here in the U.S. at Uni) would add something like $4k per year for food, and similar for board (for convenience, I'm going off of dining hall meal plans and the room and board I pay:  neither of these cover time over Christmas or the summer).  That's an increase from $13k/year to $22k/year.  That's essentially the difference between a mid-range college in the US and pushing past even the best public schools towards the cost of low end private schools.  It doesn't begin to scratch the costs of the top tier private schools (Yale, Cornell, MIT, etc. are est. $40-50k/year, including room/board), but definitely goes from "mostly affordable" to "FUUUUUUUUUUUU---".
Though with those schools, you can get pretty solid help. I was planning to go to a private school that cost $48k, with room, board, books, etc. I ended up being ten grand short and that was because I was too stupid at the time to apply for scholarships.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Cain

Scholarships are pretty rare on the ground here...my Uni offered exactly two, and you either had to be Scottish or a golf player (at St Andrews no less) to qualify.

There is also a student hardship fund, but those rarely have more than £10,000 in the pot any given year, as I know from a friend who needs it every single year.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I think higher education should be free, but hard as fuck to get into, and admittance should be based 2/3 on persistence and determination.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

My feelings run along a similar line of thought.  I think there should be a fuckton of higher education funding available to Universities...but to actually qualify for the money, the University needs to display insanely high standards of teaching and research.  A lot of Universities, from what I can see, do no actual research and exist as barely legitimate diploma mills, churning out thousands of graduates who "studied" soft subjects which could be easily taught to that depth at A Level and so do nothing but devalue qualifications from those facilities with higher standards.

Part of this, ironically, is the fault of the Tories.  For a long time, they had a focus on "Latin for it's own sake", which basically meant "teach something difficult and boring as to introduce the kids to Discipline".  Nowadays, Latin has fallen out of favour, except for in the case of Boris Johnson, Mayor of London, who's obsfucating stupidity is played so well even I have a hard time telling when he is being serious.  In the place of Latin nowadays though is Literacy and Maths.

Now, don't get me wrong.  These are important, core subjects.  But, under Tory and Labour insistence, they've taken up so much of the timetable it's virtually impossible to teach anything else.  At the primary school where I am, those two subjects make up nearly 60% of all available teaching time, which is just insane.  It leaves 40% of the timetable to teach history, science, PSRE, geography, languages, art, music etc  No wonder kids run off to do Media Studies the first chance they're given.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

It's pretty similar here; kids spend four years in "high school" where they are slowly, painfully taught subjects that most people could easily learn in a single full-time college term. Colleges and universities churn out people with worthless yet increasingly expensive degrees.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

bds

I RESENT THAT

BDS,
Media Studies student. (among other things)

Juana

Quote from: Nigel on November 27, 2010, 05:06:55 PM
It's pretty similar here; kids spend four years in "high school" where they are slowly, painfully taught subjects that most people could easily learn in a single full-time college term. Colleges and universities churn out people with worthless yet increasingly expensive degrees.
This and most high schools suck. My high school had wonderful science and foreign language teachers, but the head of the English department didn't speak proper English and one of my history teachers was a heroin addict.

themenniss

it had to hit one generation. just kinda bummed out it's mine.

it's brilliant. the people who are most affected by this can't vote.
not that voting seems to do much anyway. the only difference between our 3 ''main'' parties at the moment is their leaders' accents. There are no good parties around for us younguns. even the loonies are gone now. I wonder: Why can't we have a cat as the PM?   :lulz:
'I talk aloud to all those who listen. when nobody does, i talk aloud to myself.'

Telarus

Quote from: BabylonHoruv on November 26, 2010, 05:52:59 PM
Tuition goes up pretty much every year in the US, but it's always by a relatively small percentage.

Keep telling yourself that, bucko.

http://satyagraha.wordpress.com/2009/07/14/college-tuition-hyperinflation/
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

BabylonHoruv

You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: BabylonHoruv on November 28, 2010, 12:11:43 AM
compared to a 300 percent increase that's tiny.

How is a one thousand percent increase tiny compared to a three hundred percent increase?  :?

BabylonHoruv

Quote from: Nigel on November 28, 2010, 12:33:31 AM
How is a one thousand percent increase tiny compared to a three hundred percent increase?  :?

Because the 1000 percent increase takes 30 years and is implemented as a continual gradual increase.  the 300 percent one is in one year.
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl