News:

Already planning a hunger strike against the inhumane draconian right winger/neoliberal gun bans. Gun control is also one of the worst forms of torture. Without guns/weapons its like merely existing and not living.

Main Menu

Can we talk about me now? (Open bar thread #3,494)

Started by Juana, October 04, 2012, 04:31:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don Coyote

I think I will be investing a full 15th century harness and pollaxe.

tyrannosaurus vex

This is a classic "shit or get off the pot" moment. By that I don't mean you need to do anything, really. Only that you need to weigh your options:

- Discordia: some yahoos who believe doing what is right equals doing what they want, with high doses of horror and mirth.
- Other: other yahoos who believe doing what is right equals doing what you're told, with high doses of horror disguised as mirth.
- Nothing: just you, squeaking out an existence between all other forces. dodging bullets 007-style. evading capture. on second thought this is also Discordia, so nevermind.

Just weigh those options for a moment. I don't know what place Discordia occupies in your mind, nor should I. All I know is it's there, and if you don't need it or want it, you should get rid of it. Fuck, that's what it's all about. By doing so you'd only be proving yourself a Discordian, in that you have the guts to throw away a framework of ideas that just don't do it for you anymore.

The problem is you've been infected. You can go whichever way you want, but Discordia is in your genome now, and it's actively rearranging your DNA. It isn't just some philosophy you can pick up and put down again. What you know, you can't un-know. What you've seen can't be unseen. The fact that you are able to question whether you belong is evidence that you do.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

President Television

Oh, no, no, no, I like this. I like this new train of thought. I've just figured out that our entire philosophy is bullshit, and not only is it bullshit, but it was helpfully pointing out the fact that it was bullshit the entire time. But I couldn't see it. I was so fixated, so desperate to have something to anchor myself to, even if it was the deliberate rejection of the usual anchors, that I swallowed it all even as it told me what it was.
And how magnificent is that? The audacity! The genius of it! How beautifully recursive, how self-contradictory it all is. In suckering me into buying into it, it has made me the ultimate example of everything it was trying to say about humans from the beginning. And so, even in demonstrating itself to be bullshit, it demonstrates itself to be true.
My shit list: Stephen Harper, anarchists that complain about taxes instead of institutionalized torture, those people walking, anyone who lets a single aspect of themselves define their entire personality, salesmen that don't smoke pipes, Fredericton New Brunswick, bigots, philosophy majors, my nemesis, pirates that don't do anything, criminals without class, sociopaths, narcissists, furries, juggalos, foes.

tyrannosaurus vex

Quote from: Uncle Wallified on October 13, 2012, 04:35:11 AM
Oh, no, no, no, I like this. I like this new train of thought. I've just figured out that our entire philosophy is bullshit, and not only is it bullshit, but it was helpfully pointing out the fact that it was bullshit the entire time. But I couldn't see it. I was so fixated, so desperate to have something to anchor myself to, even if it was the deliberate rejection of the usual anchors, that I swallowed it all even as it told me what it was.
And how magnificent is that? The audacity! The genius of it! How beautifully recursive, how self-contradictory it all is. In suckering me into buying into it, it has made me the ultimate example of everything it was trying to say about humans from the beginning. And so, even in demonstrating itself to be bullshit, it demonstrates itself to be true.

Well, that's no excuse to get all deep, man.

The Good Reverend Roger

Just because it's bullshit doesn't mean it isn't valid.  There's no need to wander off into nihilism.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

And I just got a call from the refinery.  My lead mechanic has mashed himself pretty badly with a lifted load.

SON OF A BITCH.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

tyrannosaurus vex

Quote from: Man Yellow on October 13, 2012, 04:38:32 AM
And I just got a call from the refinery.  My lead mechanic has mashed himself pretty badly with a lifted load.

SON OF A BITCH.

Aw man...

President Television

Quote from: Man Yellow on October 13, 2012, 04:37:08 AM

Just because it's bullshit doesn't mean it isn't valid.  There's no need to wander off into nihilism.

Oh, no, it's valid. But I find it hilarious, because it ties in perfectly with something I found a bit of a mindfuck from the beginning. A single sentence: All dichotomies are false. Which doesn't make any sense if you try to follow it logically, because if all dichotomies are false, that includes the true/false dichotomy, rendering the statement totally meaningless. But then the meaningless/meaningful dichotomy is also false, which is itself a meaningless statement, and things get all infinitely recursive from there and I get a headache. And I figured that was chaos, in a nutshell. And it's coming back again.

SON OF A BITCH.

That's terrible. I hope he lives and gets better.
My shit list: Stephen Harper, anarchists that complain about taxes instead of institutionalized torture, those people walking, anyone who lets a single aspect of themselves define their entire personality, salesmen that don't smoke pipes, Fredericton New Brunswick, bigots, philosophy majors, my nemesis, pirates that don't do anything, criminals without class, sociopaths, narcissists, furries, juggalos, foes.

The Good Reverend Roger

He's gonna be fine.  Turns out it just stunned him and fucked up his hard hat.

First aid injury, not even an OSHA recordable.  Just a very excitable Filthy Assistant.

President Television

Quote from: Man Yellow on October 13, 2012, 04:56:46 AM

First aid injury, not even an OSHA recordable.  Just a very excitable Filthy Assistant.

:lol: Tell me again why that guy has a problem with government regulation.

Don Coyote

SON OF A BITCH.

Fuck

Quote from: Man Yellow on October 13, 2012, 04:56:46 AM

OH FUCK FA!!!!!

Quote from: Uncle Wallified on October 13, 2012, 04:42:32 AM
Quote from: Man Yellow on October 13, 2012, 04:37:08 AM

Oh, no, it's valid. But I find it hilarious, because it ties in perfectly with something I found a bit of a mindfuck from the beginning. A single sentence: All dichotomies are false. Which doesn't make any sense if you try to follow it logically, because if all dichotomies are false, that includes the true/false dichotomy, rendering the statement totally meaningless. But then the meaningless/meaningful dichotomy is also false, which is itself a meaningless statement, and things get all infinitely recursive from there and I get a headache. And I figured that was chaos, in a nutshell. And it's coming back again.

I think that is probably one of the things I like about Discordia, everything is both bullshit and not bullshit, and there is and isn't a difference between the two anyways.
Because the universe is weirder than you can imagine and is under no compulsion to make any fucking sense.

Nephew Twiddleton

I'm pretty certain at this point that I'm going to despise being a Metro-Boston resident until May.

Twid,
Got home awhile ago, still wearing jacket.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nephew Twiddleton on October 13, 2012, 05:06:50 AM
I'm pretty certain at this point that I'm going to despise being a Metro-Boston resident until May.

Twid,

It was 97F here today. 

Just saying.

The Good Reverend Roger

Don Coyote

Quote from: Man Yellow on October 13, 2012, 05:07:45 AM
Quote from: Nephew Twiddleton on October 13, 2012, 05:06:50 AM

Twid,

It was 97F here today. 

Just saying.

It rained today. A fair amount. I finally got issued wet weather gear by my reserve unit, at the end of the day, when it stopped raining. Told a bunch of kids to stop crying about how cold it was this morning.

Then the tentacles came out and it was time to centermasstriggersqueezeSCRRAAAAAAAPEPOP