News:

It's not laughter if you're just going through the muscle movements you remember from the times you actually gave a fuck.

Main Menu

Oh My Godblock

Started by Da6s, July 08, 2010, 07:11:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Da6s

http://current.com/technology/92532909_godblock-a-web-filter-that-blocks-religious-content.htm?xid=RSSfeed

QuoteGodBlock is a web filter that blocks religious content. It is targeted at parents and schools who wish to protect their kids from the often violent, sexual, and psychologically harmful material in many holy texts, and from being indoctrinated into any religion before they are of the age to make such decisions. When installed properly, GodBlock will test each page that your child visits before it is loaded, looking for passages from holy texts, names of religious figures, and other signs of religious propaganda. If none are found, then your child is allowed to browse freely.

This has butthurt atheist written all over it.

We appear to be doomed by our DNA to repeat the same destructive behaviors our forebears have repeated for millenia. If anything our problem solving skills have actually diminished with the advent of technology & our ubiquitous modern conveniences. & yet despite our predisposition towards fear-driven hostility; towards what we anachronistically term primitive behavior another instinct is just as firmly encoded in our make-up. We are capable as our ancestors were of incredible breathtaking acts of kindness. Every hour of every day a man risks his life at a moments notice to save another. Forget for a moment the belligerent benevolent billionaires who grant the unfortunate a crumb of costfree cake. I speak of pure acts of selflessness. A Mother who rushes into the street to save a child from a speeding vehicle. A person who runs into a burning building to reach a family trapped on the upper story. Such actions,such moments,such unconscious selfless decisions,define what it is to be human

Cain

Atheism - replicating the worst features of organized religion since Dawkins got that stick stuck up his arse.

Cain

Of course, it could be a clever satire.  However, it's more likely that someone just really was this stupid.

Da6s

Bad idea yes, but i can see misguided fundies installing this to "block out all that A-Rab blasphemy". Hell, i can see fundies being trolled and led to believe this is called god block because it blocks out the blasphemies against god.

And it seems legit. Haven't tried it out myself though.
We appear to be doomed by our DNA to repeat the same destructive behaviors our forebears have repeated for millenia. If anything our problem solving skills have actually diminished with the advent of technology & our ubiquitous modern conveniences. & yet despite our predisposition towards fear-driven hostility; towards what we anachronistically term primitive behavior another instinct is just as firmly encoded in our make-up. We are capable as our ancestors were of incredible breathtaking acts of kindness. Every hour of every day a man risks his life at a moments notice to save another. Forget for a moment the belligerent benevolent billionaires who grant the unfortunate a crumb of costfree cake. I speak of pure acts of selflessness. A Mother who rushes into the street to save a child from a speeding vehicle. A person who runs into a burning building to reach a family trapped on the upper story. Such actions,such moments,such unconscious selfless decisions,define what it is to be human

Shibboleet The Annihilator

Richter

Quote from: Vladimir Poopin on July 11, 2010, 09:40:14 PM
:troll:

Right on.  Production of a serious application would be more general, and jsut highlight the abiltiy to block religious content 3 or 4 items into their list of selling points. 

Unless it's being done open - source. 

...I wonder how much in donnations you could get for a linux app that screens out any occurence of "Shittingdicknipples"?
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Nephew Twiddleton

If this is legit, the problem that I have with it is that not understanding religion is going to get anyone in the modern world fucked over.
I am in total agreement with Cain.

If an atheist parent puts this on their kid's comp, it's not going to help them in life, and it's certainly not going to make them a better atheist.

I always thought an atheist's strength was poking holes in the logic of religious texts. Depriving their child of that would be denying them freedom of information able to perpetuate their parents' ideals, as well as ignore a huge impetus throughout human, let alone Western, history.

Butthurt is the word. I think Dawkins is the worst possible thing to happen to atheists since the rise of the religious right, etc. And I'm not even an atheist, though I generally agree with their arguments.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

malvarma

Eventually, your kids will grow up, and they will have to confront the reality that there are wackos out there who follow crazy belief systems. Sheltering them will only delay the inevitable. Tis better to let them confront these crazy ideas, and rest by their side to explain and put them into context. Granted, some kids are just too young to understand any complicated idea, but those kids should probably not be allowed on the internet.

Methinks this is satire though.
Follow me at http://twitter.com/normalioifyp and I'll follow you back. Let's totally be BFFs.

Jasper

Quote from: malvarma on July 19, 2010, 05:07:53 AM
Eventually, your kids will grow up, and they will have to confront the reality that their parents worship Eris.

Fixed.

:lulz:

Probably a lot harder to accept.

Brotep

Well, it looks vaguely like those cross-section models of the male reproductive system.
Also, that hand is getting fisted.

:troll:

Placid Dingo

Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Requia ☣

Apparently there are Atheists who think this really is a good idea.   :argh!:
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Brotep

It's great that it exists, and terrible that people actually want to use it.