News:

PD.com: You're safer in New Bedford.

Main Menu

Dear link-posting fucks

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, June 06, 2014, 02:55:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

This isn't fucking Facebook. If you're going to post a link, especially a newslink, have the courtesy to at least post SOME kind of comment on it, and an excerpt.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Reginald Ret

Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Reginald Ret

you forgot to make that smiley a link.
Fix pls.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Cain

Seriously tho, Nigel is right.  This isn't Reddit or FB.

Even if you're posting a Youtube link and you just say "funny song", it's something.  I've not been clicking links which don't have some explanation or context, so no doubt other people are also doing the same.

The Johnny

And it actually works in FB because it automatically generates a preview of given link.

Faust, why you no code previews for links? Make everyone's life easier.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Because it's so hard to write some kind of commentary about what you found interesting about it, and paste a quote from the article?

I mean, this is a forum. I think people have gotten used to Facebook, which makes it easy to just be a link-pasting, unthinking lump, but interacting on forums usually requires activating your brain and some kind of verbal interaction.

Reginald Ret

Faust

Quote from: The Johnny on June 07, 2014, 07:24:36 PM

And it actually works in FB because it automatically generates a preview of given link.

Faust, why you no code previews for links? Make everyone's life easier.

For SMF the options are embedded youtube videos in posts (not a good idea) or links. I could look into a mod for previews but I'm not going to try coding that from scratch, it would end up on the bottom of a to-do list that is already a mile long.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

UB

Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on June 06, 2014, 02:55:54 PM
This isn't fucking Facebook. If you're going to post a link, especially a newslink, have the courtesy to at least post SOME kind of comment on it, and an excerpt.

Whyso? It seems the smiley links don't even work....    :oops:
Within the grip of Err.... some are fucked in the head by a fist of fire.

UB

Quote from: Cain on June 07, 2014, 04:25:27 PM

Even if you're posting a Youtube link and you just say "funny song", it's something.  I've not been clicking links which don't have some explanation or context, so no doubt other people are also doing the same.

Reddit sucks. I'm there. It's hideous indecipherable most of the time. NOthing in comparison to facebook. Atleast there are prics on facebook.   :lulz:

Faust

Quote from: Inge on June 08, 2014, 04:37:16 PM

Reddit sucks. I'm there. It's hideous indecipherable most of the time. NOthing in comparison to facebook. Atleast there are prics on facebook.   :lulz:

Reddit can be made interesting, by unsubscribing from basically ALL of the top used subreddits, by subscribing to more specific but boiled down reddits like regions or specific hobbies, and by never ever reading the comments.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

UB

Quote from: Faust on June 08, 2014, 06:37:16 PM
Quote from: Inge on June 08, 2014, 04:37:16 PM

Reddit can be made interesting, by unsubscribing from basically ALL of the top used subreddits, by subscribing to more specific but boiled down reddits like regions or specific hobbies, and by never ever reading the comments.

I hadn't spent much time on reddit through my mobile because I hadnt set it up to be more specific. When I use the search engine, however, I find an immeasurable worth to keeping it on hand. I rarely ever even read the comments posted on my facebook interests. Some pages I merely follow because I know the administrators and not because it's necessarily an interest, though, too.