News:

PD.com: The most patriotic board in America - jointly run by an Australian, an Irishman, a filthy Dutchman, a Canadian and some guy from the West Indies.

Main Menu

Roger Flyers — US Release

Started by ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞, October 29, 2007, 11:19:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Quote from: Professor Cramulus on October 30, 2007, 04:40:14 PM
Net, I really, really love these. This is exactly what we were talking about in the extended discussions about packaging our ideas (or in this case, TGRR's ideas).

I've printed 'em out at 11x17 and they look gorgeous.

Give Up - was it a design choice to make the text start on an even line with the title, rather than at the top of the page?

Tell Yourself Everything Is Fine - The two images reprinted on the same page - is that due to the dimensions of the original woodcut?

Making Joe Mad - Would it look better with a black border instead of a white one? Maybe it's cause I printed this in 11x17 despite it being an 8x11 PDF, but The kallisti bomb at the bottom right is a little hard to see. Also, the title isn't centered, and the font is cool, but kind of hard to read.

fucking great work, Net

Thanks Cram. I especially appreciate the critical feedback.

Give Up has a very subtle demon-snake thing floating underneath the text that plays off the display font and leafy graphic. Also, the space around the words "Give Up" leads the eye naturally to where the text starts—so why not?

You're correct about Tell Yourself Everything Is Fine. The idea here is to just cut the page in half. It looked too funky and wasteful with only one there... It's also not unheard of to wheatpaste multiples in one place.

Making Joe Mad was a bit funky, so I made another version with hopefully a more fitting and legible font. I also made the kallisti bomb a bit bigger. Sometimes it's hard to get out of my own head, so it's important for me to hear things like this.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

:|

Triple Zero

wow. that font looks GREAT.

you're right about the critical feedback, i'll try to come up with something.

the only thing i can think of is textual actually. for my own purposes it would have been even better if the UK versions were just general "european" versions, or "non location specific" versions.

i printed them out last week and put them up last weekend at a camp with a bunch (60+) of crazy-minded fellow students. i'm not sure if anyone actually read them. i also printed out Cram's memebomb PDF, which was a great success, got a lot of positive feedback about it, especially the "i bet you just stepped in it" i put up in one of the bathrooms, the "frankly i think screaming hysterical is underrated" i put up in the sleeping halls and the "don't just defend your right to be wrong -- exercise it" for general awesomeness.
maybe the texts themselves were a bit tl;dr for a bunch of drunken stoners trying to pick up chicks. but that just means i gotta think of better places to put them up.

one advice maybe, but i guess you're already doing this, try to make the font as large as possible. if you print these flyers at A4, you really need to stand within one meter with good lighting to be able to read them. (but there's only so much space on an A4, of course)
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Quote from: triple zero on October 30, 2007, 11:08:51 PM
wow. that font looks GREAT.

you're right about the critical feedback, i'll try to come up with something.

the only thing i can think of is textual actually. for my own purposes it would have been even better if the UK versions were just general "european" versions, or "non location specific" versions.

i printed them out last week and put them up last weekend at a camp with a bunch (60+) of crazy-minded fellow students. i'm not sure if anyone actually read them. i also printed out Cram's memebomb PDF, which was a great success, got a lot of positive feedback about it, especially the "i bet you just stepped in it" i put up in one of the bathrooms, the "frankly i think screaming hysterical is underrated" i put up in the sleeping halls and the "don't just defend your right to be wrong -- exercise it" for general awesomeness.
maybe the texts themselves were a bit tl;dr for a bunch of drunken stoners trying to pick up chicks. but that just means i gotta think of better places to put them up.

one advice maybe, but i guess you're already doing this, try to make the font as large as possible. if you print these flyers at A4, you really need to stand within one meter with good lighting to be able to read them. (but there's only so much space on an A4, of course)

Thanks 000.

I've been using body text fonts with large x-heights for maximum legibility.

Maybe you run some general "european" versions by Roger. If they pass muster, I could do some of those too.

Cramulus

Quote from: triple zero on October 30, 2007, 11:08:51 PM
i also printed out Cram's memebomb PDF, which was a great success, got a lot of positive feedback about it, especially the "i bet you just stepped in it" i put up in one of the bathrooms, the "frankly i think screaming hysterical is underrated" i put up in the sleeping halls and the "don't just defend your right to be wrong -- exercise it" for general awesomeness.

Thanks - I appreciate hearing this!

The Good Reverend Roger

What about the rest of the flyers?

TGRR,
Impatient.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

By when do you need all of them?

Net,
Very busy.