News:

Oceana has always been at war with Iraq

Main Menu

The Magazine Thread

Started by Cramulus, March 08, 2007, 03:22:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

Question about editing.

E-Prime, or declarative satements using the "is of identity"?

Cramulus

I find e-prime much easier to read. It disarms a lot of nitpicking.

AFK

The above statement appears to me to be correct. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

LMNO

Okie doki.

It seems that E-Prime can be a poor medium for polemics and rants, however.

AFK

Yeah, with rants being more assertive and "from the gut" I agree that the original voice should be preserved as much as possible. 

LMNO

Now you're contradicting yourself, you bastard.

Which is it?

Cramulus

Yeah I guess e-prime is probably best suited for expository writing, essays etc. I mean, imagine TGRR's rants all e-primed up.

"Your Bobbie-ass is gonna get what it deserves!"

vs

"In my opinion your Bobbie-ass is gonna get what I think it deserves. "

:lulz:

AFK

Quote from: LMNO on April 24, 2007, 03:03:50 PM
Okie doki.

It seems that E-Prime can be a poor medium for polemics and rants, however.

I was agreeing with this statement.  I thought you were saying e-prime wouldn't be good for rants but you would use it for the other writings.  Perhaps I misunderstood.  

LMNO

Or i did.

Or something.

Anyway, I'll use E-Prime as much as I can.

That One Guy

OK - a quick thing regarding the site - while I personally prefer to run whatever I plan on posting to Aftermath by the people here before I post it there, is there any (in)formal ettiquite for this?

I'm a total, utter newbie to the whole "blog" thing and don't want to just spew forth random crap (although from what I've seen that's really all a blog is), especially since there's plans of doing a pdf thing at intervals. I have the Brand Loyalty thing I posted under the Rants forum saved as a draft on the Aftermath thing, but I don't want to just toss it out there.

Any guidelines for this going forward?
People of the United States! We are Unitarian Jihad! We can strike without warning. Pockets of reasonableness and harmony will appear as if from nowhere! Nice people will run the government again! There will be coffee and cookies in the Gandhi Room after the revolution.

Arguing with a Unitarian Universalist is like mud wrestling a pig. Pretty soon you realize the pig likes it.

LMNO

Run it through here first, maybe?

I dunno.  I'm having a hard time seeing how this will work while keeping an open and democratic, non-elitist approach.

Payne

Given the constraints inherent in creating a magazine, I'm sure we could accept some guidelines from you dude.

It's a bit different in a community, but if we want anything out there, there's going to have to be some kind of procedure for getting it done right and on time.

I'm only going to be an occasional contributor anyway, but I plan to post anything in here first, then submit to the editorial process with an expectation that it will come out looking more "article-y" than like bile spewed all over some poor thread in here. And I'll understand that before I submit anything, so it won't be anything personal against the editor.

Thats just me though

Cain

E-prime is fine for analysis, but if you don't like using it (I'm not always prepared to), then don't.

Also, still working on the intro business.  Maybe half an hour and I can sort it?  I needed to run some errands.

LMNO

Payne seems to be more understanding than most.

Payne