News:

Testimonial: "It's just honestly sad that a place like this exists"

Main Menu

Musical detournment

Started by Cain, April 13, 2007, 03:05:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Well, part of the reason I wasn't posting much over easter (well, as much as I could have) was because my friends have roped me into their band they've set up and I spent a week and a half in a garage practicing my guitar skillz (minimal, given how I havent played in a while).

Anyway, we were looking for some songs to practice and we found a couple of Rogue Trader songs that have some pretty good lyrics for our style of playing (rock-punk).

Which as got me thinking.  Rogue Traders do sort of have a sneering, anti-consumerist slant to their music, despite their almost pop-rock-electro sound, which makes them sound quite appealing to radio stations (check out the lyrics to Way to Go! and Fashion for the best examples).  Anyway, I'm going to float the idea to the rest of them of picking up some well known and quite innocuous pop songs, changing the emphasis a bit, add some sarcasm and let them rip.  I'll let you know how that goes down.

LMNO

I didn't know you played.  Cool.

AFK

What kind of guitar do you have?
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Cain

Well, I mostly did classical guitar, up until I was about 18.  So its a bit odd, still taking some getting used to.  But our bassist, she's being playing mostly metal for a few years now and our other guitarist has only ever done more mainstream music too.

If I can, I'll try and record some stuff this summer.  Right now, we're still at that stage of getting it all down right, as well as working out our schedules (bassist is doing her dissertation currently).

RWHN: A Epiphone Les Paul Special II

AFK

Nice.  I've been jonesin to add another guitar to my collection.  I should put that on my Father's Day list. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Cain

Its not bad.  I'm not a huge guitar expert, but I talked with a couple of people, read a few reviews and checked my price range.  For what I wanted, it works out fine.

LMNO

All you need is to master the handstrength of the barre chord.

You're golden from there on out.

Cain

True.  I did a lot more chord work when I started out (my original guitar teacher was a member of the infamous local band, The Yetties), but its something I havent done a lot of up until last month.

LMNO

Speaking of subversive pop music, take another listen to the Jam's first album, "in the City".

There's a lot of bile there.

Weller still has it apparently.  Last week at a charity event for cancer victims, he hawked a loogie at a picture of Sting, calling him a wanker.

Too bad it couldn't have been the man himself, but oh well.