News:

PD.com: You wont believe our bullshit

Main Menu

Fuck Advertising

Started by Subtract Eight!, January 06, 2008, 12:19:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

Pleasing to notes I hasn't actulaay used such terms to descibe advertising kthnxby

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Also, brainwashing happens all the time... to mosbunal of us. At least, that's how it appears to me.

Brainwashing, in modern parlance is usually associated with the CIA or cults. However, that really only covers a subset of techniques used in brainwashing. Brainwashing doesn't require sleep deprivation or drugs or getting ones balls chopped etc.... Those are just shortcuts, quick and dirty brainwashing hacks if you will. The most insidious sorts of brainwashing are the ones that take 20 years to complete and no one ever suspects a thing. Orwellian "newspeak  " is a good example of such things. Our current administration did really well at brainwashing lots of folks post-911, though fortunately it appears that the conditioning is wearing off. Every baby gets brainwashed in its first five years by its own dear Mommy and Daddy.

Maybe.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

AFK

So, who's watching the SuperBowl this weekend?
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Quote from: LMNO on January 30, 2008, 05:26:37 PM
Pleasing to notes I hasn't actulaay used such terms to descibe advertising kthnxby

Better yet, you'll just make semantic conflations about it that imply agreement with the usage I described.

:roll:
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Quote from: Ratatosk on January 30, 2008, 05:34:37 PM
Also, brainwashing happens all the time... to mosbunal of us. At least, that's how it appears to me.

Brainwashing, in modern parlance is usually associated with the CIA or cults. However, that really only covers a subset of techniques used in brainwashing. Brainwashing doesn't require sleep deprivation or drugs or getting ones balls chopped etc.... Those are just shortcuts, quick and dirty brainwashing hacks if you will. The most insidious sorts of brainwashing are the ones that take 20 years to complete and no one ever suspects a thing. Orwellian "newspeak  " is a good example of such things. Our current administration did really well at brainwashing lots of folks post-911, though fortunately it appears that the conditioning is wearing off. Every baby gets brainwashed in its first five years by its own dear Mommy and Daddy.

Maybe.

Define brainwashing so that there are parameters for a communication to NOT be described as brainwashing and we'll talk.

LMNO

Quote from: Netaungrot on January 30, 2008, 05:38:49 PM

Better yet, you'll just make semantic conflations about it that imply agreement with the usage I described.

You say I implied, I say you assumed.

Quote from: LMNO on January 30, 2008, 05:53:33 PM
Quote from: Netaungrot on January 30, 2008, 05:38:49 PM

You say I implied, I say you assumed.

You could clarify what you meant if I have a mistaken impression, but instead you're just being a dick.

Congratulations.

LMNO

This is PD.com, after all.

And as far as clarifying, I first said, "appeals to emotion and bias".

Later on, I specifically said I was quoting Nigel because she was too lazy to do it herself.

Don't go blaming me because your reading comprehension isn't worth shit.

Triple Zero

Quote from: Netaungrot on January 30, 2008, 05:40:51 PMDefine brainwashing so that there are parameters for a communication to NOT be described as brainwashing and we'll talk.

because otherwise we wouldn't be talking, but brainwashing eachother!
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Quote from: LMNO on January 30, 2008, 06:01:24 PM
This is PD.com, after all.

And as far as clarifying, I first said, "appeals to emotion and bias".

Later on, I specifically said I was quoting Nigel because she was too lazy to do it herself.

Don't go blaming me because your reading comprehension isn't worth shit.

:lol:

Touched a nerve have I?

You still haven't clarified what you just wrote today, jackass.

LMNO

Quote from: Netaungrot on January 30, 2008, 05:11:19 PM
Quote from: Cain on January 30, 2008, 02:59:19 PM
Has anyone actually said, or even inferred, that they find slavery, exploitation and various crimes less offensive than advertising?

Or are most people not talking about it because the thread and discussion is about advertising?

I think a lot of people really strongly believe advertising is brainwashing.

If it is, then comparing advertising to things as brutal as brainwashing would be futile and someone would say they are of the same order of magnitude.

But it's clearly not. It's fraud at worst and art at best.

Quote from: Netaungrot on January 30, 2008, 05:19:53 PM
Quote from: LMNO on January 30, 2008, 05:15:41 PM
Brainwashing isn't always brutal.

Just sayin.

Then maybe you could use a term that doesn't wildly exaggerate the nature of what you're talking about.

1)  I have clearly pointed out that I am not one of those "a lot of people" who believe advertising is brainwashing.

2)  I then pointed out that your associating "brutal" with "brainwashing" might not be entirely accurate.

3)  Then you ask me to use another word for a term I don't even use in the first place.

Please point your slingshot of useless indignation elswhere.

AFK

Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Netaungrot on January 30, 2008, 05:40:51 PM

Maybe.

Define brainwashing so that there are parameters for a communication to NOT be described as brainwashing and we'll talk.

Brainwashing usually references any effort to instill specific attitudes and beliefs in an individual, usually in a forcible or indirect manner. Brainwashing can be direct like Koresh's techniques which involved hours of no sleep pr eating etc. or it can be much more subtle, like propaganda. The commonality, is that the individual doesn't get much choice in consciously accepting the new beliefs, usually the beliefs are inserted through manipulating the Robot.

Brainwashing is to conversation as Hacking is to computer programming.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Quote from: LMNO on January 30, 2008, 06:14:16 PM
Quote from: Netaungrot on January 30, 2008, 05:11:19 PM
Quote from: Cain on January 30, 2008, 02:59:19 PM
Has anyone actually said, or even inferred, that they find slavery, exploitation and various crimes less offensive than advertising?

Or are most people not talking about it because the thread and discussion is about advertising?

I think a lot of people really strongly believe advertising is brainwashing.

If it is, then comparing advertising to things as brutal as brainwashing would be futile and someone would say they are of the same order of magnitude.

But it's clearly not. It's fraud at worst and art at best.

Quote from: Netaungrot on January 30, 2008, 05:19:53 PM
Quote from: LMNO on January 30, 2008, 05:15:41 PM
Brainwashing isn't always brutal.

Just sayin.

Then maybe you could use a term that doesn't wildly exaggerate the nature of what you're talking about.

1)  I have clearly pointed out that I am not one of those "a lot of people" who believe advertising is brainwashing.

2)  I then pointed out that your associating "brutal" with "brainwashing" might not be entirely accurate.

3)  Then you ask me to use another word for a term I don't even use in the first place.

Please point your slingshot of useless indignation elswhere.

1) People change their minds without notification. I go with whatever they express most recently.

2) Associating brutal with rape, child abuse, and slavery also might not necessarily be accurate. And in those situations I use a more accurate word.

3)"Brainwashing isn't always brutal." - LMNO

"Then you ask me to use another word for a term I don't even use in the first place." - LMNO

Is my reading comprehension failing me again or do I smell prawnage of the self variety?

Quote from: Ratatosk on January 30, 2008, 07:44:55 PM
Quote from: Netaungrot on January 30, 2008, 05:40:51 PM

Maybe.

Brainwashing usually references any effort to instill specific attitudes and beliefs in an individual, usually in a forcible or indirect manner. Brainwashing can be direct like Koresh's techniques which involved hours of no sleep pr eating etc. or it can be much more subtle, like propaganda. The commonality, is that the individual doesn't get much choice in consciously accepting the new beliefs, usually the beliefs are inserted through manipulating the Robot.

Brainwashing is to conversation as Hacking is to computer programming.

Nobody uses brainwashing to mean anything positive.

While hacking does have negative connotations in most peoples minds, there is a significant group of people who regularly use it to mean otherwise. If there is a group of people out there using brainwashing to mean something desirable, I'd certainly like to know.