News:

MysticWicks endorsement: "I've always, always regarded the Discordians as being people who chose to be Discordians because they can't be arsed to actually do any work to develop a relationship with a specific deity, they were too wishy-washy to choose just one path, and they just want to be a mishmash of everything and not have to work at learning about rituals or traditions or any such thing as that."

Main Menu

OPEN BAR: It's actually about ethics in fictional bars

Started by EK WAFFLR, August 10, 2015, 03:37:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Hoopla on August 14, 2015, 07:24:50 AM
So, tonight, while bartending, a wine glass flew off its rack to the floor, untouched. I was six feet away, and nobody else was behind the bar. The four people sitting at the bar all saw the same thing I did, apparently.

Not suggesting anything other than that it was fucking weird.

Could have been internal stress within the glass releasing abruptly, breaking the glass and causing it to leap from the rack. Spontaneous fracture happens frequently in bar glassware, because it is typically soda-lime glass, not always annealed well, used frequently, and typically subjected to high temperatures during washing. This, along with daily taps and bangs, gradually introduces additional stress into the glass, along with stress that was present at manufacture due to poor annealing processes, and glasses can abruptly release that stress in the form of kinetic energy, jumping at fracture or even exploding. The thicker parts of the glass, such as stem or base, are both more likely to build stress and capable of releasing more energy at fracture; in the upper part of the glass you're more likely to see a spontaneous circular crack.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Don Coyote

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on August 14, 2015, 04:22:19 PM
So, tonight, while bartending, a wine glass flew off its rack to the floor, untouched. I was six feet away, and nobody else was behind the bar. The four people sitting at the bar all saw the same thing I did, apparently.

Could have been internal stress within the glass releasing abruptly, breaking the glass and causing it to leap from the rack. Spontaneous fracture happens frequently in bar glassware, because it is typically soda-lime glass, not always annealed well, used frequently, and typically subjected to high temperatures during washing. This, along with daily taps and bangs, gradually introduces additional stress into the glass, along with stress that was present at manufacture due to poor annealing processes, and glasses can abruptly release that stress in the form of kinetic energy, jumping at fracture or even exploding. The thicker parts of the glass, such as stem or base, are both more likely to build stress and capable of releasing more energy at fracture; in the upper part of the glass you're more likely to see a spontaneous circular crack.

But what if...ALIENS?

Cainad (dec.)

Amorphous solids are the fucking greatest.

Cain

I was thinking it was possibly heat related, since most pubs use dishwashers these days (placed in such a way that, as it cooled, it ended up being forced from the rack), but it could be that, too.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on August 14, 2015, 05:22:44 PM
I was thinking it was possibly heat related, since most pubs use dishwashers these days (placed in such a way that, as it cooled, it ended up being forced from the rack), but it could be that, too.

I could see contraction from cooling causing it to slide off the rack, as well. Another possibility (and one I've seen) is thermal shock from a hot glass being placed in a cold rack. 
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

President Television

I keep forgetting you used to blow glass. You must have all kinds of hyperspecialized glass expertise that comes up either way more or way less often than it should.
My shit list: Stephen Harper, anarchists that complain about taxes instead of institutionalized torture, those people walking, anyone who lets a single aspect of themselves define their entire personality, salesmen that don't smoke pipes, Fredericton New Brunswick, bigots, philosophy majors, my nemesis, pirates that don't do anything, criminals without class, sociopaths, narcissists, furries, juggalos, foes.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cain on August 14, 2015, 05:12:28 AM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 14, 2015, 03:08:20 AM
Quote from: Cain on August 14, 2015, 01:22:25 AM
That would explain why I couldn't find it this morning.

They're on Smashwords.com, but I'll post when they're up for Nook & Kindle.

Cheers.  I would prefer it for my Kindle, so that's the format I was waiting for.

Nook should be up some time today.  There's no way for me to check when it's up on Kindle.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

He's got the haunts.  I once had a glass sheer cleanly when I accidentally hit it with the edge of my hand; this is proof that I some kinda ghost-wrangler.  I COULD parley this into a fascinating career as some kinda internet Pagan guru, but I don't want to be a flasher, and that seems to be part of the deal.

HOOPS:  Unlike those asshole "ghost hunter" shows, NEVER ask a ghost what it wants.  If it's single-minded enough to hang around after death, it will NEVER SHUT UP about its gripes.  Just write the glassware off as the cost of doing business.  Or better yet, arrange a betting game with the regulars as to how many glasses will levitate in a given night.
Molon Lube

hooplala

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 14, 2015, 06:10:07 PM

He's got the haunts.  I once had a glass sheer cleanly when I accidentally hit it with the edge of my hand; this is proof that I some kinda ghost-wrangler.  I COULD parley this into a fascinating career as some kinda internet Pagan guru, but I don't want to be a flasher, and that seems to be part of the deal.

HOOPS:  Unlike those asshole "ghost hunter" shows, NEVER ask a ghost what it wants.  If it's single-minded enough to hang around after death, it will NEVER SHUT UP about its gripes.  Just write the glassware off as the cost of doing business.  Or better yet, arrange a betting game with the regulars as to how many glasses will levitate in a given night.

That last option has legs, I'm going to use that. These bar patrons are a superstitious lot, they'd buy it. And no, I don't think I will ever ask anyone what they want ever again... 3 nights tending bar and I am already astounded by some people's ability to monologue at length about various aspects of their lives.

I can say for certai. It had been over 24 hours since any of those glasses had been in a dishwasher, but I'll buy what Nigel said, as always, she knows her shit.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Hoopla on August 14, 2015, 06:34:13 PM

That last option has legs, I'm going to use that. These bar patrons are a superstitious lot, they'd buy it. And no, I don't think I will ever ask anyone what they want ever again... 3 nights tending bar and I am already astounded by some people's ability to monologue at length about various aspects of their lives.

People go to bars because they're bored or lonely.  Otherwise, they'd drink at home for 10% of the cost.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

What's the difference between a bartender and a proctologist?

A proctologist only has to deal with one asshole at a time.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Hell in a Dry Place is going up today, if I can figure out what to use as a cover.

Also, NIGEL:  Can you locate the LO w/spider pic?  The one I have didn't survive transferring from one laptop to another when the hard drive failed.  That will be the cover for volume I.

I still need covers for Vol II (The Engines of Creation) and Vol III (Armageddon).
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: President Television on August 14, 2015, 06:02:26 PM

I keep forgetting you used to blow glass. You must have all kinds of hyperspecialized glass expertise that comes up either way more or way less often than it should.

Very much less often. :lulz: I'm a repository of untapped glass facts.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 14, 2015, 07:24:50 PM
Hell in a Dry Place is going up today, if I can figure out what to use as a cover.

Also, NIGEL:  Can you locate the LO w/spider pic?  The one I have didn't survive transferring from one laptop to another when the hard drive failed.  That will be the cover for volume I.

I still need covers for Vol II (The Engines of Creation) and Vol III (Armageddon).

Here's the page for it, if it's not big enough I'm sure b has a bigger version: http://bijijoo.com/2011/ophelia-and-her-spider

b just got married last week, by the way! His bride is a delightful woman, also a good friend, and they are a beautiful and charming couple.