PD.com: "I'M MADDER THAN FISH GREASE!"

Main Menu

Fractals

Started by Cramulus, November 26, 2008, 09:23:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richter

I really like the cross hair thing the first one has going!  :mittens:
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Jasper

The space one is now my new netbook background!  Very neat!

Telarus

Quote from: Cramulus on December 31, 2009, 08:21:56 PM

I want to fuck your fractals

--Telarus' girl Mara aka Liv
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

E.O.T.

EITHER

Your images have reeally advanced since this thread began. These newest ones are fucking cool. And I was sick of "fractals" like, 15 years ago. I'd like to know more about how you base the images and then expand to get these epic fractal-scapes. These are inspiring, for sue

OR

Butt is it really art?
"a good fight justifies any cause"

E.O.T.

EITHER

You know Cram, 'sun temple' is basically the 'Helm of awe', or damn near any of the 'Helms', and really a great sort of, transposition of primal forms. The latter image, the 'outer space' flyfot or whatever, is straight up cave man shit done 2010. I can't tell you how much I like these new fractals! If you're into it, I'd love a low down on your method and what you were thinking.

OR

The goddess said not to stare directly into the...
"a good fight justifies any cause"

Cramulus

Quote from: E.O.T. on January 04, 2010, 07:24:55 AM
         Your images have reeally advanced since this thread began. These newest ones are fucking cool. And I was sick of "fractals" like, 15 years ago. I'd like to know more about how you base the images and then expand to get these epic fractal-scapes. These are inspiring, for sue

Thanks much!

I've been exploring fractals since 15 years, but I agree that my work has made progress over the last few weeks.

Mainly, it was experimenting with Apophysis, which is a pretty neat program. It's taken me a number of weeks to start to really figure out how the Apophysis' transform editor works. I still don't entirely get it, but I'm starting to get a sense for how to modify stuff to make it look a specific way.

ChaosPro (the program I was using at the beginning of this thread) is sort of like using a paint brush. You pick a fractal, and then basically zoom in until you have the image you want. You can tweak the palette, but you're somewhat limited in how much control you have. With Apophysis, on the other hand, you even less control. And that's what makes it interesting looking.

Working with the Transform editor is like working with a spray can - the paint comes out of the can, and you can guess roughly where it's going to land, but you never know for sure. Most of what you're doing is moving these little triangular fields around until you have something cool looking. Knowing how to manipulate the editor is like having different types of nozzles for the spray cans. Maybe your fractal has some swirl patterns, or some bubbles. I've found it challenging to make all the elements combine in a way which isn't just noise.

Over the last two weeks I've probably spent 20 hours just playing with Apophysis -- installing different plugins, going through tutorials, trying to figure out how to jockey the math. I still feel like a novice - the cats on deviant art are making much cooler stuff than I.

Quote from: E.O.T. on January 04, 2010, 07:41:25 AM
If you're into it, I'd love a low down on your method and what you were thinking.

This one is called Space Seven. I was trying to make interesting symmetrical patterns using julia transforms. Ironically, I was trying to make really "natural" looking fractals, and was shying away from far out colors like pinks and pastels. When this image emerged from the stew, I thought it would look good on fabric like some sort of Buddhist mandala. The pinks and greens also made me think of the colors you might see in deep space photographs. I tried putting the fractal onto fabric textures, but it wasn't really working, so I picked out an image from the hubble telescope. It's been manipulated a bit to keep everything roughly symmetrical.

I hadn't juxtaposed this with the Helm of Awe - interesting comparison! This image started as a perspective study. I discovered these really interesting details around the circumference and wanted to focus in on those. The gold radial markings reminded me in part of gold filigree and the big sun calendars that ancient people used to measure the seasons. Hence the name, "sun temple".

thanks for asking!

and thanks for the kind words, everybody. I appreciate it.  :)

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Wow, those really are awesome! Damn. Especially this one:

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Telarus

I really want to do some 3d work with your fractals, Cram.....

Hmmm, maybe a project for today since I woke up before noon =P.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

phi

Quote from: Cramulus on December 01, 2008, 05:47:53 AM

The first of the second batch is like plaid.. pan-dimensional plaid.

I would definitely say that those last two are my favorites.
Quote from: Shrunkenheadspace on January 24, 2010, 03:44:12 AM
Only 41 more posts til Clue Jr!
Quote from: Turdley Burgleson on January 24, 2010, 05:43:57 AM
You're some kind of off-balancing piece of shit that just tears a hole in the whole god damned spectrum of life and creates a friggin mess out of everything.

fogukaup

These are beautiful.  I'm taking a class on chaos theory, fractals, crystallography and a lil' bit of programming with Ralph Abraham. He would love your work too! Soon I will know the math behind the mysterious romanesco broccoli  and electric sheep.
Do make music by any chance?

Triple Zero

Ralph Abraham! I read a book by him where he was doing "trialogues" with Rupert Sheldrake and Terrence McKenna. Abraham was the only one not talking shit.

I wonder if I still have that book, I never finished it, afaik.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

fogukaup

Quote from: Triple Zero on January 21, 2010, 10:37:45 PM
Ralph Abraham! I read a book by him where he was doing "trialogues" with Rupert Sheldrake and Terrence McKenna. Abraham was the only one not talking shit.

I wonder if I still have that book, I never finished it, afaik.

It's definitely a treat to watch the bearded genius present lectures out of memory and personal experience.  He won a grant that allowed him to teach the class he always wished he could, so this Math and Art  class is really an excuse for him to write another book, and use the lectures as an outline for his chapters. A genius and an opportunist. turns me on.

Cramulus

These are too large to post in-thread without it screwing up your browsing window. I'll post em at thumbnail size, but they should be viewed at full size.

Bobby Campbell

GD, Cram! These are crazy awesome too!!

Ixxie

Very impressive work! Awesome!
"In Shadow - we find the Light - Safely Sealed in Darkest Night, so make Sure Ya'll Keep it Tight. Wizards Only - Fools!"