News:

PD.com: promoting the nomadic, war-like and democratic lupine culture since 2002

Main Menu

Legality day one netted my state $250,000 in tax revenue.

Started by Da6s, January 03, 2014, 08:01:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

You mean conservative voters who consistently vote the people who do the above into power?  Those voters?

Pergamos

Yeah,  I guess that suggests they are either stupid or know what is going on and assuming stupid is usually not a good idea.

Cain

You're learning  :)

Remember, sometimes, people like to believe lies about themselves, because they're flattering.  In American political mythology, small government and balanced budgets are good.  Associating yourself with the party that calls for these things means you associate yourself with these things.  The truth of the matter is almost irrelevant.

For another example, the UK BNP will deny they are racist, only nationalists.  Their voters will claim the same.  However, they are racist and the voters know it.  But since racism is bad, they can use that narrative to deny this.

StandBackJack

Quote from: Pergamos on March 15, 2014, 09:30:33 PM
Quote from: Da6s on March 15, 2014, 12:12:50 PM
Over 2 million so far in tax revenue. All your states are drooling after mine like she's some cheap tramp.

I sure hope so.  A chance of leading toward a balanced budget will mean it gets conservative support

Doubtful. 

Roly Poly Oly-Garch

Quote from: Junkenstein on March 03, 2014, 01:30:10 PM
Never fear, all sorts of old and boring things will soon become criminal acts to help shore up the numbers.

I'm guessing alcohol related offences to get a big sentencing boost soon. Or possibly 2 ton of shit for the "legal high" market. There's no real reason to protect that any more anyway so there's a whole fresh set of kids ready for the jail.

I'm not sure about alcohol related offences. That's how the counties in CO get most of their free labor that pays money to perform community service. Start putting DUI's in jail instead of "workenders" in Larimer County, for instance, and the 100-200 people it takes to get the Budweiser Center ready for a monster truck rally would become prohibitively expensive. Also, that would put for-profit prisons in direct competition with for-profit probation agencies.

So I'm not sure what the answer to this crisis is, but I'm sure the board is meeting to discuss the issue as we speak.
Back to the fecal matter in the pool

Pergamos

Quote from: NoLeDeMiel on March 16, 2014, 12:16:51 AM
Never fear, all sorts of old and boring things will soon become criminal acts to help shore up the numbers.

I'm guessing alcohol related offences to get a big sentencing boost soon. Or possibly 2 ton of shit for the "legal high" market. There's no real reason to protect that any more anyway so there's a whole fresh set of kids ready for the jail.

I'm not sure about alcohol related offences. That's how the counties in CO get most of their free labor that pays money to perform community service. Start putting DUI's in jail instead of "workenders" in Larimer County, for instance, and the 100-200 people it takes to get the Budweiser Center ready for a monster truck rally would become prohibitively expensive. Also, that would put for-profit prisons in direct competition with for-profit probation agencies.

So I'm not sure what the answer to this crisis is, but I'm sure the board is meeting to discuss the issue as we speak.

Well, it is the SW, sorta, where they tend to attack illegal immigrants even more than most.  I could see them as another source of bodies for the for profit prison complex.

Da6s

Quote from: Pergamos on March 16, 2014, 12:27:07 AM

Well, it is the SW, sorta, where they tend to attack illegal immigrants even more than most.  I could see them as another source of bodies for the for profit prison complex.

You shut your whore mouth. We're the west. And CO, though it does occasionally have massive ICE raids, is extremely tolerant of hispanic individuals.

You can't compare this state to "papers please" institutionalized racism like Arizona. So don't. It's far more progressive than you're giving it credit.
We appear to be doomed by our DNA to repeat the same destructive behaviors our forebears have repeated for millenia. If anything our problem solving skills have actually diminished with the advent of technology & our ubiquitous modern conveniences. & yet despite our predisposition towards fear-driven hostility; towards what we anachronistically term primitive behavior another instinct is just as firmly encoded in our make-up. We are capable as our ancestors were of incredible breathtaking acts of kindness. Every hour of every day a man risks his life at a moments notice to save another. Forget for a moment the belligerent benevolent billionaires who grant the unfortunate a crumb of costfree cake. I speak of pure acts of selflessness. A Mother who rushes into the street to save a child from a speeding vehicle. A person who runs into a burning building to reach a family trapped on the upper story. Such actions,such moments,such unconscious selfless decisions,define what it is to be human

Da6s

Technically we do sentence a lot of our DUI offenders to jailtime (at least in Summit and Idaho Springs from what I've heard) for 30 - 90 days. Typically our judges will reduce this to something like 72 hours or a week (which can be served on weekends!) given community service and classes are part of the probation sentence.

We are also extremely lenient toward offenders who will shell out the 1k+ for a blow'n'go
We appear to be doomed by our DNA to repeat the same destructive behaviors our forebears have repeated for millenia. If anything our problem solving skills have actually diminished with the advent of technology & our ubiquitous modern conveniences. & yet despite our predisposition towards fear-driven hostility; towards what we anachronistically term primitive behavior another instinct is just as firmly encoded in our make-up. We are capable as our ancestors were of incredible breathtaking acts of kindness. Every hour of every day a man risks his life at a moments notice to save another. Forget for a moment the belligerent benevolent billionaires who grant the unfortunate a crumb of costfree cake. I speak of pure acts of selflessness. A Mother who rushes into the street to save a child from a speeding vehicle. A person who runs into a burning building to reach a family trapped on the upper story. Such actions,such moments,such unconscious selfless decisions,define what it is to be human

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Da6s on March 16, 2014, 06:19:38 AM

Technically we do sentence a lot of our DUI offenders to jailtime (at least in Summit and Idaho Springs from what I've heard) for 30 - 90 days. Typically our judges will reduce this to something like 72 hours or a week (which can be served on weekends!) given community service and classes are part of the probation sentence.

We are also extremely lenient toward offenders who will shell out the 1k+ for a blow'n'go

Funny how that works
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Johnny

i dont understand if you are trying to make a point or are just being informative... on one hand you are portaying the judicials as letting people go easy... on the other hand you are saying that money helps offenders get off the hook  :?
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Pergamos

Quote from: Da6s on March 16, 2014, 06:12:57 AM

You shut your whore mouth. We're the west. And CO, though it does occasionally have massive ICE raids, is extremely tolerant of hispanic individuals.

You can't compare this state to "papers please" institutionalized racism like Arizona. So don't. It's far more progressive than you're giving it credit.

Sorry, I can see that rankled, I was just going from your location.  Illegal immigrants seem like a more likely target to me than alcohol offenses, also, California is a very progressive state and they're beastly to illegals too.

The Good Reverend Roger

I think you meant to say "Phoenix".
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Roly Poly Oly-Garch

Yeah, the weekend time is what I was referring to. In Larimer County they call it workenders. They gather a few hundred people in this facility, put them on a bus, and send them out to various jobs. Larimer County has crews on the weekends and mid-week crews. That's let's say an average of 250 people, 8 hours a day, 4 days a week. The savings in man-hours to the county has to be huge, especially since an offender pays to participate in the program, and pays a supervision fee if they actually have sentenced community service as well (not everyone in workenders has community service as part of their sentence, they're just doing it because that's what the workender program is). My guess would be something like 60-75% of the people doing weekenders are there for alcohol related offenses.

Also, almost everyone in that program is sentenced to probation. Last I knew, probation fees range anywhere from $35-$100/month depending on the level of supervision. Plus, UA's, BA's, electronic monitoring, etc, all come with their own fees. A whole lot of this is handled by contract companies. Most of it, in fact.
Back to the fecal matter in the pool

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Pergamos on March 16, 2014, 05:45:28 PM

Sorry, I can see that rankled, I was just going from your location.  Illegal immigrants seem like a more likely target to me than alcohol offenses, also, California is a very progressive state and they're beastly to illegals too.

Prison corporations lobbied aggressively for the criminalization of immigration.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

hooplala

"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman