News:

Everyone who calls themselves "wolf-something" or "something-wolf" almost inevitably turns out to be an irredeemable shitneck.

Main Menu

MailGASM

Started by LordOfganza, August 17, 2010, 04:31:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LordOfganza

Thanks to a post from Risus, I though of tis GASM. It would be a way for discordians to work together on a project without using the internet as a mediator, so it would really feel like everybody was ding it togethe, exactly because of the usage of material means instead of electronic ones.
The main idea is to use the mail service to get Discordians around the world to help with "whatever".
The inicial idea is to send a digital camera around, here is my original post in Apple Talk:

QuoteI think that the camera should have like a 2gb flash card and the people involved should be chosen first (so only thrustworthy people who wouldn't STEAL the camera would be part of it, lol), so each one who received would know the adress he should send next. Each person stays with the camera for 1 week. Also there should be a paper sent with the camera for the person to mark the numbers of the pictures he/she took and the city he's/she's in.
Then there could be an Intermittens special edition with the best pictures.
I know it sounds far-fetched because people could take photos themselves and send them here, but it would be funnier to actually have THE camera every one else used.
I would do this myself but the only camera I have available belongs to my father and he would never let me send it to random psycopathic people.....besides that I can't buy a new one just for that because here it costs like three times the price here in Brazil.
I'm pretty sure that you can find an OK digital camera for about.. 30 bucks or so, am I right?"
Of course that to avoid making a list of adresses that would expose a lot of people. Each person should PM the one he would send the "whatever" to and get the adress (without knowing if it is from his/her house, work, etc).
I don't know, it is really simple and maybe just stupid, but I would glady participate in things like this.
"You know that in Africa they have animals they call monkeys..."
"So?'
"Nothing"
The Seventh Seal - Ingmar Bergman
<Yes, same signature after 4 years. What can I say, I'm traditional>

Cramulus

I dig it!

A lot of discordian documents used to be written this way, in the pre-internet area

your cabal would create some text or art or something, and then put it in a big envelope and mail it to another cabal

then those guys would edit it, play with it, collage it, work it into something new, put it in a big envelope, and mail it along

it's a lot easier to mail photos digitally than it is to ship a digital camera - is there a reason you'd want to work purely offline? it will be more costly, and there's a chance the project could get bottlenecked by one person who doesn't bother to mail stuff along.

Golden Applesauce

A cheap disposable camera would work too.  Person A snaps a few pictures, mails it to the next guy, and when the camera is full the last person gets it developed and posts the images here.
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

LordOfganza

Quote from: Golden Applesauce on August 17, 2010, 04:40:24 PM
A cheap disposable camera would work too.  Person A snaps a few pictures, mails it to the next guy, and when the camera is full the last person gets it developed and posts the images here.
Yeah, this could work also, but those cameras usually don't take more than 20 or so pictures so it wouldn't work to send to a lot of people. When it got to the 3rd person they would have to buy another one. In time the digital onw would prove much cheaper and it enables  each person to take as many pics as he wants and choose afterwards without losing the camera.

Quote from: Cramulus on August 17, 2010, 04:38:57 PM
it's a lot easier to mail photos digitally than it is to ship a digital camera - is there a reason you'd want to work purely offline? it will be more costly, and there's a chance the project could get bottlenecked by one person who doesn't bother to mail stuff along.
The reason of woriking offline is that you are really handling discordian material, wich other discordians also used. In a situation like the one you mentioned of years ago, you would REALLY have the paper in your hands, and would know that a lot of other discordians around the globe had it first, so it would be like handling a sacred document instead of just looking at some pic of what someone did sometime and thats it. In the camera idea, each person could customise the camera with a sticker or whatever and it would become a true discordian Relic! I think that when you really interact with the physical object there are a lot of phycological factors that make that waaay cooler. Also I think that that kind of REAL people interaction can help discordians get a little closer as it would be unlikely to set up real life meeting when there are people in all continents.
Anyway, this is only my humble opinios, let's discuss this more.
"So?'
"Nothing"

Cramulus

Quote from: LordOfganza on August 17, 2010, 05:42:32 PM
The reason of woriking offline is that you are really handling discordian material, wich other discordians also used. In a situation like the one you mentioned of years ago, you would REALLY have the paper in your hands, and would know that a lot of other discordians around the globe had it first, so it would be like handling a sacred document instead of just looking at some pic of what someone did sometime and thats it. In the camera idea, each person could customise the camera with a sticker or whatever and it would become a true discordian Relic! I think that when you really interact with the physical object there are a lot of phycological factors that make that waaay cooler. Also I think that that kind of REAL people interaction can help discordians get a little closer as it would be unlikely to set up real life meeting when there are people in all continents.
Anyway, this is only my humble opinios, let's discuss this more.

eh, can't a digital document be "real"? The illusion of authenticity can be kind of a hassle. The fact that some other discordians handled a piece of paper isn't really important to me. Also, my skills are mainly digital - I write text, I photoshop, I MS-Paint, I lay out... I don't do a lot of drawing, painting, old school analogue collage, etc.

and like many people, I am lazy. Being honest with myself here, I probably wouldn't actually mail the digital camera, it would just sit on my table for 4 or 5 weeks until one of my roommates put it in a drawer or something. E-mail, however, takes a lot less effort and postage to send from one person to the next.

Nephew Twiddleton

I agree that with previous statements to the effect that a camera would be really cumbersome. On top of that I've heard tell that Discordians here have gone to other continents to meet other Discordians. It's not frequent, but it happens. I've met Cram, Dok, Darth Cupcakes, Richter, Suu, Cuddlefish, Alphapance, etc... If I'm ever in Toronto, I'll give Rhizome and Dystopia a heads up and meet up with them. If I'm in Portland, I'll give Nigel a heads-up. Next time I'm in Ireland long enough, I might try hop over to England and meet up with BadBeast... etc...

Though I think that this idea has some promise and can be tweaked into something a little smoother. I'll have to ponder it a little more to throw in my two cents.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

LordOfganza

Yeah, maybe you are right, the camera idea may prove itself cumbersome. My abilities are more electronic too (photoshop etc..)  but I still think it would be nice to be in contact with something physical now and then. Of course I don't mean that electronic documents are less real or less important, it's just a change of pace.
And I'm aware that people HAVE met each other even when from different continents. What I meant is that I, for example, rarely have the money to do that, eager to do that though I am (like to make a tour around the USA that I know so little and meet the peers on the way). And to make some "whatever" with real signatures or contributions sound nice, like once in many months. Again, maybe we all have to ruminate on what sorts of things would get more this way than through electronic ways...
"So?'
"Nothing"

Ruby

I think this would be awesome and it would be interesting, to say the least. I am a bit more lazy than not, but would make it a point to mail the damned camera.
"I think I should warn you that I am, in fact, a librarian."
--Noah Wyle as Flynn, in The Librarian: Curse of the Judas Chalice

Cainad (dec.)

Maybe if there could be an element of 3-D mail without actually mailing the physical camera around?

Everyone involved in the project provides their mailing address (we might have to set up a semi-private method of doing this, although obviously everyone involved is accepting the risk), and someone takes on the responsibility of getting the ball rolling.

They do their own text, images, whatever, and post those online. Then they print it out (as much as they can given their personal printing capabilities; obviously the digital copies are online for perusal if someone lacks good-quality color printing), and mail the paper to someone on the mailing list without revealing who online.

When the person receives the letter, they get all excited as fuck and post online "HOLY SHIT YOU GUYS I GOT THE LETTER THAT MEANS IT'S MY TURN" and then they add their own stuff. Write a little blurb, a full article, draw a doodle or diagram, take a picture or three, whatever, and post it online. Then they print out whatever seems reasonable to print, and mail that to someone else on the list without revealing who online.

The idea here is to make this fun little activity where everyone who receives the letter gets all psyched and it becomes a game of Collaborative Discordian Hot Potato. Rather than trying to mobilize a dozen spags at once (which, as we all know, is a pain in the butt), only one person at a time has to do something, and everyone else gets to have fun watching while still being a part of it.

I'm thinking that this creates the dual benefits of the ease of online collaboration with the sense of fun that is inherent in receiving a piece of snail-mail that isn't a bill or credit card offer.

LordOfganza

And Cramulus, I understand completely what you mean, and agree that for graphic stuff email is much easier. We could also make an E-mail GASM and at each project decide to which one it would go. My point is that I always looked at the changing of point of view and the way of doing things as a  key thing in Discordianism. When everyone thought that religions and beliefs should be praised in specific places, temples, and gatherings of a lot of people, the Discordians proved that you could do the opposite. When other beliefs said that people who follow it should stick together, Discordians proved that it could also be the other way around.  Having a community on the internet proves that we don't need any "real" place to meet and exchange ideas and can still have a community that interacts frequently. This also contradicts the discordians way of sticking apart all the time. So it seems that we break other peoples concepts all of the time and also our own, and thats great!
I realise that with the internet making everything easier we kind of got addicted by it and it would be a change of pace and also very discordian to mail stuff to each other when we could just as much be exchanging e-mails, and that's the fun part. Again, just my opinion.
"So?'
"Nothing"

LordOfganza

Quote from: Cainad on August 17, 2010, 07:25:11 PM
Maybe if there could be an element of 3-D mail without actually mailing the physical camera around?

Everyone involved in the project provides their mailing address (we might have to set up a semi-private method of doing this, although obviously everyone involved is accepting the risk), and someone takes on the responsibility of getting the ball rolling.

They do their own text, images, whatever, and post those online. Then they print it out (as much as they can given their personal printing capabilities; obviously the digital copies are online for perusal if someone lacks good-quality color printing), and mail the paper to someone on the mailing list without revealing who online.

When the person receives the letter, they get all excited as fuck and post online "HOLY SHIT YOU GUYS I GOT THE LETTER THAT MEANS IT'S MY TURN" and then they add their own stuff. Write a little blurb, a full article, draw a doodle or diagram, take a picture or three, whatever, and post it online. Then they print out whatever seems reasonable to print, and mail that to someone else on the list without revealing who online.

The idea here is to make this fun little activity where everyone who receives the letter gets all psyched and it becomes a game of Collaborative Discordian Hot Potato. Rather than trying to mobilize a dozen spags at once (which, as we all know, is a pain in the butt), only one person at a time has to do something, and everyone else gets to have fun watching while still being a part of it.

I'm thinking that this creates the dual benefits of the ease of online collaboration with the sense of fun that is inherent in receiving a piece of snail-mail that isn't a bill or credit card offer.

THIS^

I like that, is solves our issues in a more intelligent way
"So?'
"Nothing"

Cainad (dec.)

We'll need some guidelines and contingency plans for possible difficulties.

For example, if no one seems to have received the letter a week after it was sent, the person who last sent a letter either sends another one to someone else or sends a private message to the person they sent the letter to, informing them they should have received it by now. The person who was supposed to receive the letter can then keep the ball rolling using the stuff that's been posted online.

One problem I had with Dok Howl's DAF Mailing List was finding a damn postage stamp; I had no convenient way of getting to a post office and nowhere I looked seemed to sell freaking stamps, so I had to beg one off of the people upstairs. If people can spare it, I'd suggest sending an extra stamp or two in the letter. That way no one in the mailing list slows up the whole game by not being able to find a stamp.

Chairman Risus

I dig it!

A lot of discordian documents used to be written this way, in the pre-internet area

your cabal would create some text or art or something, and then put it in a big envelope and mail it to another cabal

then those guys would edit it, play with it, collage it, work it into something new, put it in a big envelope, and mail it along

I'm a fan of somehow making this way work.

We can start a thread where we'll list the people that want to be involved. As the mail package moves on, we tick names off the list and the next person to receive the package goes and checks who is left on the list and pm them for their address.

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Risus on August 17, 2010, 07:55:51 PM
I dig it!

I'm a fan of somehow making this way work.

We can start a thread where we'll list the people that want to be involved. As the mail package moves on, we tick names off the list and the next person to receive the package goes and checks who is left on the list and pm them for their address.

This. Everyone gets to play at least once, and then we can think of something to do with it once it's made the full round.

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

This thread reminds me of the late weirdo Ray Johnson.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A