News:

'sup, my privileged, cishet shitlords?  I'm back from oppressing womyn and PoC.

Main Menu

What has science created?!?

Started by Da6s, July 14, 2009, 05:38:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

I'd also see a problem with a monkey (et al) head being used because there's a fuckton more neural paths to synch up.  A bug?  Not so many.

Kai

Quote from: LMNO on July 15, 2009, 01:41:24 PM
I'd also see a problem with a monkey (et al) head being used because there's a fuckton more neural paths to synch up.  A bug?  Not so many.

Plus, a insect brain doesn't have a cerebrum (they can't think, only react in "preprogramed" ways) and very limited memory. So, insect brains are in many ways analagous to computers in their neural pathway simplicity. Its all feedback loops, stimulus ----> brain ---->response. There is another difficulty though, you've got the brain (ie ganglia) scattered throughout the body, and not just localized in the head. Thats why I want to see how they hooked this up, to which particular neural pathways.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

BADGE OF HONOR

Insect heads can also survive without their bodies for long periods of time.
The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

Kai

Quote from: BADGE OF HONOR on July 23, 2009, 02:33:28 AM
Insect heads can also survive without their bodies for long periods of time.

That's due to the neural localization factor. Plus, gas exchange is via air diffusion rather than a vascular system. No heart? No problem! at least temporarily. open circulatory system and respiration via spiracles and tracheoles.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Sir Bearington

Still has more posting ability and skill than i do.