News:

I hope she gets diverticulitis and all her poop kills her.

Main Menu

How to be Horrible at Home, part 1

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, April 14, 2011, 02:26:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luna

That's how my parents dealt.  If they knew where I was, who I was with, and what I was doing, as long as I was up in time for school with minimal bitching, it was cool.
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Jasper

I never had a curfew.  My mom's approach to parenting was the "off leash" method.  No idea how I turned out so in touch and responsible.

ETA:  Well no, I know how.  If you've ever heard about kids who were abandoned and raised by wolves, I was raised by books.  It was funny as hell when I saw Megamind, because I used to mispronounce big words I'd never heard out loud all the time.  I used to think it was "bed raggled" instead of bedraggled.

Suu

Quote from: Luna on April 14, 2011, 04:48:06 PM
That's how my parents dealt.  If they knew where I was, who I was with, and what I was doing, as long as I was up in time for school with minimal bitching, it was cool.

Just check in. That's all they asked.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Cainad (dec.)

I have no idea if I had a curfew or not, because I usually had nowhere to go or anyone to be with. I'm sure they would have been lenient, though.

LMNO

Staying home and reading books was more fun than being ostracized by my so-called "peers", so...

Dysfunctional Cunt

Maybe my parents recognized the potential in me to be a wild child and early on decided the best way to deal with that was to be controlling to the extreme.

I had a curfew even after I was an adult.

I remember one time, I was supposed to be home at 11:00 (my weekend curfew until I was 18).  I was on my way home and there was an accident. I was 7 minutes late.  Even though I was able to prove there was an accident and I was stuck in traffic I was still grounded for 7 weeks.  Their reasoning was I should have given myself enough time to get home accident or no.

I'm much more leniant on my kids.  The boys can pretty much do as they please as long as they keep in touch with me and don't expect me to come get them in the middle of the night.  Now Joy, well she's only 11 so. 

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD on April 14, 2011, 06:17:24 PM
Staying home and reading books was more fun than being ostracized by my so-called "peers", so...

...so you kept the faith, developed your weirdness, and now you're out having piles of rock n roll with Big Gay Cowboys, and they're drinking shitty beer, watching the game, and waiting for the inevitable heart attack to come and give them the final mercy.

Guess what?  You win.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

LMNO

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 14, 2011, 07:06:11 PM

...so you kept the faith, developed your weirdness, and now you're out having piles of rock n roll with Big Gay Cowboys, and they're drinking shitty beer, watching the game, and waiting for the inevitable heart attack to come and give them the final mercy.

Guess what?  You win.

Indeed.  I was just thinking the same thing last night, in the middle of our set-- sweat dripping off my forehead, making a joyful noise unto the Rawk, the cheers of applause, crushing my enemies, seeing them driven before me, and hearing the lamentations of the women.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD on April 14, 2011, 07:09:57 PM

Guess what?  You win.

Indeed.  I was just thinking the same thing last night, in the middle of our set-- sweat dripping off my forehead, making a joyful noise unto the Rawk, the cheers of applause, crushing my enemies, seeing them driven before me, and hearing the lamentations of the women.

Yeah.  I attended my 20 year class reunion.  It did me a world of good...I realized that I'm actually HAPPY, after all these years...And the people that told me to "grow up", or "get right", etc are all OLD.  Not old like I'm old, you know, the inevitable eyesight and joint issues that come with being in your 40s, but old in their heads.

It also gave me real insight on the idea of "gray".  These guys believed the lies about having to settle down and be good little citizens, worry about shit like the lawn and keeping up appearances.

And it occurred to me that being "disreputable" isn't just fun, it's necessary.  After all these years, I finally understand The Terrible Old Man, and what he tried to tell all of his descendants...It ain't about what you have, but about who you are, and whether or not you enjoy your life, or just tolerate it.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Luna

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 14, 2011, 07:15:00 PM
It also gave me real insight on the idea of "gray".  These guys believed the lies about having to settle down and be good little citizens, worry about shit like the lawn and keeping up appearances.

And it occurred to me that being "disreputable" isn't just fun, it's necessary.  After all these years, I finally understand The Terrible Old Man, and what he tried to tell all of his descendants...It ain't about what you have, but about who you are, and whether or not you enjoy your life, or just tolerate it.

Fuck, yes.

I'm beginning to wake up and realize that this divorce may be one of the better things that's happened to me.

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Luna on April 14, 2011, 07:18:58 PM

Fuck, yes.

I'm beginning to wake up and realize that this divorce may be one of the better things that's happened to me.

1.  It's never too late to have a happy childhood.

2.  You're never too old to rock n roll.

3.  The fun never stops, even though you might.  So don't stop.

4.  Each day, ask yourself if you're grateful to be alive.  If you're ENJOYING it.  If you aren't, find out why and change it.

5.  Happiness cannot be measured in terms of small green paper rectangles, though they DO make things easier.  But rock n roll isn't about "easy".  It's about stomping all over your life and teaching your life who the fucking boss is.

Juana

:mittens:

Yeah.  I attended my 20 year class reunion.  It did me a world of good...I realized that I'm actually HAPPY, after all these years...And the people that told me to "grow up", or "get right", etc are all OLD.  Not old like I'm old, you know, the inevitable eyesight and joint issues that come with being in your 40s, but old in their heads.

It also gave me real insight on the idea of "gray".  These guys believed the lies about having to settle down and be good little citizens, worry about shit like the lawn and keeping up appearances.

And it occurred to me that being "disreputable" isn't just fun, it's necessary.  After all these years, I finally understand The Terrible Old Man, and what he tried to tell all of his descendants...It ain't about what you have, but about who you are, and whether or not you enjoy your life, or just tolerate it.
Yep! This is the only way to be.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Luna

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 14, 2011, 07:29:50 PM
Quote from: Luna on April 14, 2011, 07:18:58 PM

Fuck, yes.

1.  It's never too late to have a happy childhood.

2.  You're never too old to rock n roll.

3.  The fun never stops, even though you might.  So don't stop.

4.  Each day, ask yourself if you're grateful to be alive.  If you're ENJOYING it.  If you aren't, find out why and change it.

5.  Happiness cannot be measured in terms of small green paper rectangles, though they DO make things easier.  But rock n roll isn't about "easy".  It's about stomping all over your life and teaching your life who the fucking boss is.

Oh, yes.

1.  Absolutely true.
2.  "Old" is a state of mind, not a number.  I was old, I'm getting younger all the time.  (And, yo, Dimo, when the hell is the next show?)
3.  Working on it.  I've gone from sitting around the house to almost never being in my apartment.  This is a good thing.
4.  That's a tough one.  Introspection, NOT my strong suit... but I'm enjoying a hell of a lot more than I used to, so I must be doing it right.
5.  I'm considering taking a pay cut to find a job that pisses me off less, but it's nice to be able to, say, spring for dinner out for myself and friends once in awhile without wondering if I'll be eating ramen noodles in a week to cover it.  Life and I are slowly coming to terms over.

LMNO

If, by the end of the day, I haven't done at least one that brings me joy, I feel that I wasted an opportunity.

Interestingly enough, quite a few f those moments have involved this forum.

Adios

Quote from: LMNO, PhD on April 14, 2011, 07:09:57 PM

Guess what?  You win.

Yeah.  I attended my 20 year class reunion.  It did me a world of good...I realized that I'm actually HAPPY, after all these years...And the people that told me to "grow up", or "get right", etc are all OLD.  Not old like I'm old, you know, the inevitable eyesight and joint issues that come with being in your 40s, but old in their heads.

There is much truth in this post.